Magic System for Critical Review

Captain Obvious

I've been working up this magic system for a fantasy campaign set in a world corresponding closely to the American frontier/colonial era. This particular magic system is meant to represent the cutting edge of knowledge in a post-Renaissance world. It's set up to require both breadth and depth of knowledge (ie many KSs, and decent rolls on them), and also to be highly flexible for the truly knowledgible. I'm still expanding the spell lists, and although this system should be able to cover almost any possibility, these spells are meant to represent the sort of thing a gentleman scholar would be interested in studying. The spells I have listed so far represent the sort of knowledge a ship's officer, a military officer, or an academic might benefit by.

Oh, and I've swiped quite a bit from a much earlier thread about the Ars Magica system, which seemed like a good place to start for this. Much credit for what I have here is due to Killer Shrike and Markdoc, among others. Anyway, here it is:

For centuries, mankind has studied the forces of nature, in order to survive and to make life easier. As these studies became more advanced and systematized, they came to be called Natural Philosophy (as opposed to Ethical Philosophy or Political Philosophy). Those philosophers who have devoted themselves to the study of natural forces are able to create effects beyond the ability of the common man. Of course, the common man has little understanding of the subtle natural forces in play, and usually labels Natural Philosophy with the superstitious title of Magic.

In order to apply Natural Philosophy, the practitioner must be proficient in a Science and must have specific knowledge related to what effect he is trying to create. He must focus his mind, whether through intense concentration or through rote movements or phrases. Most philosophers must memorize the particular formulae to create specific effects, although some are well versed enough in theory to create useful effects without a prefabricated formula for that specific use.

Mechanically speaking, the character must have an appropriate Power skill and an appropriate Knowledge, Professional, or Science Skill in order to cast a given spell. All spells must take Requires Skill Roll with two skills (at the -1/20 Active Points level), and at least -1/2 in Limitations, chosen from among Gestures, Incantations, and Concentration, to represent mental focus. All spells must also take at least -1 total in Extra Time and/or Increased Endurance. Additional Limitations or more extensive forms of required Limitations are allowed. Characters with at least 50 points invested in at least 5 spells are eligible to create a Variable Power Pool. The Active Points in the VPP cannot exceed 1/10 of the Character Points spent on spells or the number of spells known, whichever is less. This VPP is limited to the same limitations as regular spells, except that they must take Requires Skill Roll with two skills at the -1/5 Active Points level. The VPP itself is of a Slightly Limited Class (only magic, -1/4), and the Control Cost is No Skill Required to change powers (+1). All other required limitations are as above.

The Power skills are as follows:

Astrology - fate, chance, luck, divination

Humors - living bodies

Herbs - plants

Elements - air, earth, fire, water

Anima - mental and soul effects

Metaphysics - magic effects, scrying

Free Wind - 2d6 Aid to Swimming, Only for Sailed Vessels (-3/4), Side Effects: 2d6 RKA targeted at sails and masts (-1/4), RSR: Elements and KS: Wind -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END to Activate (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20 Real: 5 Skill Roll: -1

Sea Anchor - 40 STR TK, Only to hold ship in place (-1 1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Ocean Currents -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 60 Real: 14 Skill Roll: -3

Safe Harbor - 32" Change Environment to calm waters, RSR: Elements and KS: Weather -1/20 AC (-1/4), Must be in the lee of land, rocks or shoals (-1), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 30 Real: 8 Skill Roll: -1

Landfall - Detect Land (Unusual sense group, because it can be from several effects...scent, sighting or hearing birds, seeing kelp, feeling reflected swell), 360 degree perception, Ranged, Megascale (1"=1km, +1/4), RSR: Elements and PS: Sailor -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 16 Real: 5 Skill Roll: -0

Compass - Detect North (Unusual sense group), 360 degree perception, RSR: Astrology and KS: Navigation -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END (-1/2), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 8 Real: 2 Skill Roll: -0

Pump - 30 STR TK, Affects Porous, Only vs liquids (-1), RSR: Elements and KS: Water -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 55 Real: 14 Skill Roll: -2

Sail with the Tide - 2d6 Aid to Swimming, RSR: Elements and KS: Ocean Currents -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END to Activate (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20 Real: 6 Skill Roll: -1

Shoal - 2d6 Swimming Drain, Recovers 5 pts per hour (+ 1), Not vs targets with other movement forms (-1), RSR: Elements and KS: Shoals and Reefs -1/20 AC (-1/4), Only within sight of land (-2), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 40 Real: 6 Skill Roll: -2

Sea Legs - Clinging, Only to avoid falling on pitching surfaces (-1 1/4), RSR: Humors and KS: Balance -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 10 Real: 2 Skill Roll: -0

In Irons - 3d6 Swimming Drain, Only vs sailing vehicles (-3/4), RSR: Elements and KS: Wind -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 30 Real: 8 Skill Roll: -1

Sounding - Detect Bottom of Body of Water (unusual sense group), Discriminatory, Ranged, RSR: Elements and KS: Earth -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 13 Real: 4 Skill Roll: -0

Reef - 1d6+1 RKA linked (-1/2) to 2d6 Swimming Drain, Recovers 5 pts per hour (+1), Not vs targets with other movement forms (-1), RSR: Elements and KS: Shoals and Reefs -1/20 AC (-1/4), Only within sight of land (-2), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20 + 40 Real: 9 Skill Roll: -3

High and Dry - 2d6 Swimming Drain, Recovers 5 pts per day (+1 1/2), Not vs targets with other movement forms (-1), RSR: Elements and KS: Tides -1/20 AC (-1/4), Only within sight of land (-2), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 50 Real: 8 Skill Roll: -2

Fother - 6d6 Healing, Only vs wooden structures (-3/4), RSR: Elements and KS: Shipbuilding -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), No Range (-1/4) NOTE: vehicles don't heal on their own, so unless the character wishes to push his luck in getting ever higher Healing rolls, the ship will need to be repaired normally.

Active: 60 Real: 16 Skill Roll: -3

Impart Impetus - +5 Range Skill Levels with Emplaced Weapons, RSR: Elements and SS: Ballistics -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), Costs END (-1/2)

Active: 10 Real: 3 Skill Roll: -0

Impart Momentum - 4d6 Aid to RKA, Emplaced Weapons Only (-2), Costs END (-1/2), RSR: Elements and SS: Ballistics -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 40 Real: 9 Skill Roll: -2

Incendiary - 1d6 RKA, Continuous (+1), 0 END (+1/2), Sticky (only affect flammables, +1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range 240" (+1/4), Bulky OAF: Emplaced Weapon (-1 1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Incendiary compounds -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 52 Real: 12 Skill Roll: -2

Explosive - Explosion (nonselective) Naked Power Advantage for up to 5d6 RKA, RSR: Elements and KS: Gunpowder -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), Emplaced Weapons Only (-2)

Active: 18 Real: 3 Skill Roll: -0

Reduce Windage Error - +5 OCV with Emplaced Weapons, RSR: Elements and SS: Ballistics -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), Costs END (-1/2)

Active: 15 Real: 4 Skill Roll: -0

Tactical Inspiration - Tactics 17-, Costs END to Activate (-1/4), RSR: Astrology and KS: Historical Battles -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 15 Real: 5 Skill Roll: -0

Grand Tactical Inspiration - Tactics 17-, Usable by Eight Others Simultaneously (+1), Costs END to Activate (-1/4), RSR: Astrology and KS: Historical Battles -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 30 Real: 10 Skill Roll: -1

Target Weak Point in Breastworks - Find Weakness 11- with Emplaced Weapons, Only vs structures (-1/4), RSR: Elements and KS: Engineering -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), Costs END to Activate (-1/4)

Siege Trench - 10 PD/ 10 ED Force Wall, 1"x15", Must follow the contours of an existing trench (-1/4), RSR: Elements and KS: Engineering -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), Those protected by DEF can fire past it by exposing themselves to return fire (-0)

Active: 80 Real: 26 Skill Roll: -4

Spike Guns - 10d6 Dispel vs RKA, Area Effect 5"r (+1), Cumulative (+1/2), Emplaced Weapons Only (-2), RSR: Elements and KS: Metallurgy -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), No Range (-1/4)

Active: 75 Real: 15 Skill Roll: -3

Mine - 6" Tunnelling, 5 DEF, Tunneling rate assumes 5 diggers and drops by 1" for each digger missing (-1/4), Extra Time: 1 Day (-3 to -4, depending on Required Limitations allocation), RSR: Elements and KS: Engineering -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2 or more)

Active: 42 Real: 7 (or less) Skill Roll: -2

Perfect Symmetry - Lack of Weakness -10, Fortresses Only (-1), RSR: Elements and SS: Mathematics -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END to Activate (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Bomb-Proof - 3d6 Aid to DEF, Recovers 5 pts per hour (+1), Structures Only (-1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Engineering -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END to Activate (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 60 Real: 17 Skill Roll: -3

Rampart - 2d6 Healing, Structures Only (-1/2), Only heals to half original BODY (-1), RSR: Elements and KS: Earthworks -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), See NOTE for Fother spell

Active: 20 Real: 4 Skill Roll: -1

Spent Ball - Missile Deflection up to bullets and shrapnel, RSR: Elements and KS: Gunpowder -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END (-1/2), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Convey Guns - 36 STR TK, Only to move wheeled vehicles (-1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Momentum -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 54 Real: 16 Skill Roll: -3

Evaluate Enemy Commander - Analyze Tactics 17-, RSR: Anima and KS: Historical Battles -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 15 Real: 5 Skill Roll: -0

Disjunction - 15d6 Dispel vs Magic (+1/4), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Formulaic Structure -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 56 Real: 20 Skill Roll: -2

Unfocusing - 12d6 Dispel vs Magic (+1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Formulaic Structures -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 63 Real: 22 Skill Roll: -3

Exclusionary Circle - 12PD/12ED Force Wall, Restricted Shape circle (-1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Only vs magic or spirits (-1/2), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Counter-formulas -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 75 Real: 21 Skill Roll: -3

Buttress - Difficult to Dispel for up to 80 active points of spell, RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Formulaic Structures -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20 Real: 7 Skill Roll: -1

Hold Effects - Delayed Effect for up to 80 active points of spell, RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Formulaic Structures -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20 Real: 7 Skill Roll: -1

Translate - Detect meaning of text, RSR: Anima and KS: Languages -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Implant - Eidetic Memory, RSR: Anima and KS: Memory -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END (-1/2), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 5 Real: 1 Skill Roll: -0

Parascopy - N-ray vision not through magic barriers, Range, Analyze, RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Senses -1/20 AC (-1/4), Costs END (-1/2), (Required Limitations - 1 1/2)

Thought Message - 5d6 Mind Scan +5 ECV, Cannot attack through link (-1), Does not provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), + 5d6 Telepathy, Does not provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Communication only (-1/4), Broadcast only (-1/2), Language Barrier (-1/2), linked (-1/2), both with RSR: Anima and KS: Communication -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 35+25 Real: 8+5 Skill Roll: -3

Phase Shifting - Desolidification, RSR: Metaphysics and KS: The Dimensions -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 40 Real: 14 Skill Roll: -2

Create Portal - 11" Teleportation, AE hex (+1/4), Usable By Others (+1/4), Continuous (+1), Megascale 1"=1km (+1/4), Gate (-1/2), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: The Dimensions -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 60 Real: 18 Skill Roll: -3

Soulstone - 6d6 Entangle, OAF Gem (-1), Affects Desolid - Spirits only (+1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Spirits -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 75 Real: 20 Skill Roll: -3

Thermology - Change Environment 3 Temperature Levels 8"radius, Very Limited Group - raise or lower temperature (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Weather -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 50 Real: 18 Skill Roll: -2

Phantom Coachman - Summon Phantom Coachman, Slavishly Devoted (+1), RSR: Anima and KS: Spirits -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 4 Real: 1 Skill Roll: -0

(Phantom Coachman stats - 8 STR, 8 DEX, 8 CON, 8 BODY, 8 INT, - EGO, 8 PRE, 8 COM, 1 PD, 1 ED, 2 SPD, 2 REC, 16 END, 16 STUN, Does Not Bleed, No Hit Locations, Language 2 pts, TF: Carts and Carriages, PS: Servant 8-)

Call Rainstorm - Change Environment 1"radius, Uncontrolled (+1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Weather -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), Megascale 1"=1km (+1/4)

Active: 8 Real: 2 Skill Roll: -0

Tutelage - 3d6 Aid INT, recover 5 pts per hour (+1), RSR: Anima and KS: Memory -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations - 1 1/2), Costs END to activate (-1/4)

Active: 60 Real: 20 Skill Roll: -3.

Painkiller - 2d6 Aid STUN, recover 5 pts per hour (+1), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2), OAF Potion (-1), Costs END to reset trigger (-1/4), Trigger ("drink it",+1/4),Usable by Others at range (+3/4), Extra Time (-2, at least) NOTE: Alchemical type spells should take at least 1 Hour Extra Time, which can come from the required limitations or not, as the character desires)

Active: 60 Real: 10 Skill Roll: -3

Re: Magic System for Critical Review

I should point out that I intend that the secondary skill roll (the KSs, as opposed to the Power Skills) should cover more than one spell, but not necessarily every spell a character has, unless he's super-specialized. I'm not real sure how to quantify it, if it's even possible. It may very well remain as a situation where the GM has to eyeball each spell a character has for fit.

At any rate, the listed KSs are a sort of guideline. Other Knowledge Skills, or in some cases, Professional Skills or Science Skills, may work just as well for a particular application.

I like it!

Very Falkensteinian. The setting also reminds me of Alvin Maker (but I can't comment too much on that, as I've only read the short stories in the Legends anthologies).

I'd limit the VPP to spells they had studied as well - otherwise they could cast anything without learning it first - or at least spending time working out how magical energies can be applied to a given situation. It should be a study.

I'm not sure if I stated as such, but the VPP should follow the same rules as the spells as a whole, so if the character has the appropriate Power skill and KS, he basically can work out how to cast a spell well enough to wing it, albeit at the -1 penalty per 5 Active Points level, as opposed to the -1/20 level allowed by the standard system. And with two different skill rolls to make, that penalty adds up fast.

Thanks for the quick feedback, by the way!

Yeah, looks good to me, too. Sounds like an interesting setting and you've got quite a spell list already. I agree with the other poster -- I can see similarities to Alvin Maker, too. It also might fit in a little with something similar to Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell.

I shy away from VPPs in FH just because they turn the mage into a swiss army knife that overshadows the game. He's invisible, he can fly, he has telekinesis, fireball, growth, shrinking, stretching, x-ray vision, ultrasonic hearing, mind control... anyway, some limitations on what powers can be taken might be a good idea.

I agree. The "do anything" mage can ruin a game. That's why I've severely limited the VPP. For example, in order to become invisible without the specific spell to do so, a character using this system would have to have sunk 200 total character points into at least 20 spells, and would have to have a KS that could be stretched to include invisiblity in some manner. He'd also have to make two skill rolls at -4 each to pull it off.

I see this VPP as providing some minor amount of flexibility, without reaching the Swiss-army-knife level of applicibility. If someone can point out potential abuses (and maybe some solutions) I'd appreciate it.

No, I think that's a pretty good limit. One thing I've used in the past is to require the mage to buy a 1 pt familiarity with any spell they wanted to do with their VPP, but I think the big skill requirements should be limiting enough (yet also flexible enough).

More spells, this time geared toward physicians. Again, any constructive criticisms are welcome, especially if I've totally screwed the pooch on some math or the proper use of a Power or Power Modifier.

Impart Blood - 4d6 STR Aid, RSR: Humors and KS: Blood -1/20 AC (-1/4), Dispelled by any other Impart Humor spells (-1/2), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 40 Real: 12 Skill Roll: -2

Impart Phlegm - 2d6 DEX Drain linked (-1/2) to 2d6 INT Drain, Dispelled by any other Impart Humor spells (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Phlegm -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20+20 Real: 5+6 Skill Roll: -2

Impart Yellow Bile (Choler) - 8d6 Mind Control, Only to inflict anger (-1), Based on CON (-1), Dispelled by any other Impart Humor spells (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Choler -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Impart Black Bile (Melancholia) - 4d6 EGO Drain, Dispelled by any other Impart Humor spells (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Melancholia -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Reduce Blood - 4d6 STR Drain, Dispelled by any other Reduce Humor spells (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Blood -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Reduce Phlegm - 2d6 DEX Aid linked (-1/2) to 2d6 INT Aid, Dispelled by any other Reduce Humor spells (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Phlegm -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20+20 Real: 5+6 Skill Roll: -2

Reduce Choler - 8d6 Mind Control, Only to remove aggression (-1), Based on CON (-1), No Range (-1/2), Dispelled by any other Reduce Humor spells (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Choler -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Reduce Melancholia - 4d6 EGO Aid, Dispelled by any other Reduce Humor spells (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Melancholia -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Drain Blood - 4d6 Energy Blast, NND (+1), Does BODY (+1), No Range (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Blood -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Drain Phlegm - 1d6 RKA, AVLD (+1 1/2), No Range (-1/2), Does BODY (+1), RSR: Humors and KS: Phlegm -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 52 Real: 16 Skill Roll: -2

Drain Choler - 4d6, 4 DEF Entangle, Takes no Damage from Attacks (+1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), No Range (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Choler -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 60 Real: 17 Skill Roll: -3

Drain Melancholia - 4d6 Major Transform (to add Psych Lim: Overconfidence), No Range (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Melancholia -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Balance Humors - 8d6 Suppress vs Humors Powers, Two at a time (+1/2), Only on living targets (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 60 Real: 16 Skill Roll: -3

Immunize - 10 Power Defense, Usable by Other (+1/4), Costs END to Activate (-1/4), Only to resist diseases (-1), RSR: Humors and KS: Diseases -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 12 Real: 3 Skill Roll: -0

Cure Disease - 8d6 Dispel vs disease sfx (+1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Diseases -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 42 Real: 15 Skill Roll: -2

Treat Parasites - 1 pip RKA, Only vs parasites (-3/4), Area Effect 1 hex (+1/2), All or nothing (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Parasites -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 7 Real: 1 Skill Roll: -0

Plaster - 2d6 Simplified Healing, Only vs open wounds (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Improve Regenerative Faculties - 2d6 Aid to REC, Recovers 5 pts/day (+1 1/2), Only to recover BODY (-1), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 50 Real: 13 Skill Roll: -2

Analyze Toxin - Detect Toxin, Discriminatory, Only when affecting a living body (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Poisons -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Counter Toxin - 4d6 Suppress vs venoms (+1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), x4 active points (+1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Venoms -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 45 Real: 16 Skill Roll: -2

Purge - 4d6 Suppress vs oral drugs and poisons all at once (+2), Only vs. oral drugs and poisons (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Drugs -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Styptic - 1d6 Simplified Healing, Only to stop bleeding (-1), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Image of Youth - 6d6 Cosmetic Transform (to younger seeming version), Dispelled by any magic with aging sfx (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Aging -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 30 Real: 9 Skill Roll: -1

Youth - 6d6 Minor Transform (to younger version), Dispelled by any magic with aging sfx (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Aging -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Eternal Youth - 3d6 Major Transform (to younger seeming version), Cumulative (+1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Aging -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 67 Real: 24 Skill Roll: -3

Suture - 6d6 Simplified Healing, Only vs open wounds (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Knit Organs and Bone - 6d6 Simplified Healing, Can heal Limbs, Only to remove Disabling penalties (-1), Wound to be treated must be healed first (-1), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 65 Real: 13 Skill Roll: -3

Treat Burns - 4d6 Simplified Healing, Burns only (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Healing -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

I'm thinking most of those guys aren't educated enough to be able to use this sort of magic. I do intend on having some other forms of magic that don't require so much of a basis in theory to cast. I'm calling them Craft Magics right now, and intend to include things like alchemy, herbalism, and astrology, which are precursors to Natural Philosophy. There will also be a few Craft Magics that are somewhat more primitive, like spellsongs and runepainting.

But getting back to the question, these spells are the sort that would have to be learned in a university, or pondered over with a lot of free time for reading and experimentation. Many Mayors and Town Councillors might very well have the education and free time to develop this sort of thing, though. Maybe I should try to come up with a few spells that might help them out...diplomacy spells and such.

Any ideas?

Some more spells, this time for the gentleman planter (and not to be confused with the small-time farmer doing his best to avoid starvation, but the guy with a big plantation and a bunch of slaves or sharecroppers to do the heavy lifting):

Hybridize - 1d6 Major Transform (pure seed into hybrid seed), Must have plants with appropriate attributes available (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Horticulture -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2) NOTE: by transforming the seed, the difficulty of creating a new hybrid is reduced immensely...it should be possible to create a hybridized mature plant, but would likely be much harder

Cross-breed - 1d6 Major Transform (pure animal fetus into cross-bred fetus), Must have sire and dam with appropriate attributes available (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Animal Husbandry -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2) NOTE: by transforming the fetus, the difficulty of creating a new cross-breed is reduced immensely...it should be possible to create a cross-bred mature animal, but would likely be much harder; it is assumed that this spell is what was used in the creation of the chimerical alligator-horse.

Destroy Blight - 1d6 Major Transform (diseased plant into healthy plant), Area Effect 16" radius (+1 3/4), Cumulative (+1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Horticulture -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2) NOTE: 16" radius is approximately one acre

Active: 48 Real: 17 Skill Roll: -2

Cultivate - Change Environment 1 hex, All weather effects (+1), +/- 3 Temperature Levels, 0 END (+1/2), Costs END to activate (-1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Horticulture -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2) NOTE: lasts one season...multiple applications may be necessary depending on local climate and temperament of the plant

Active: 42 Real: 14 Skill Roll: -2

Destroy Pests - 1 pip RKA, Penetrating (+1/2), Area Effect 16" (+2), Only vs invertebrates (-1/2), RSR: Humors and KS: Invertebrates -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 17 Real: 5 Skill Roll: -0

Scarecrow - 4d6 Mind Control, Fear only (-1), Only vs birds and mammals (-1/4), User defined Trigger that resets automatically (+1), Area Effect 16" (+1 1/2), RSR: Anima and KS: Emotions -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 70 Real: 17 Skill Roll: -3

Pedigree - 1d6 long term Aid, Variable effect: any Characteristic or Movement (+1/4), Recovers 5 pts per 25 years (+3), Animals only (-1), Must be cast on a juvenile (-1), Can only be cast once on a given animal (-1), RSR: Humors and KS: Animal Husbandry -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 42 Real: 7 Skill Roll: -2

Position of authority type spells, for upper-middle-classes could be things like-

Oratory, memory and record keeping, organisation of paperwork, identity validation (ie seals), communication (protection for homing animals?), presence enhancers, lie detection, assessments (people's skills, or item worth/usefullness), comeliness modifiers, limited mind control

A little change here: Instead of making sciences into magic, this time I've taken a fixture of magic and made it into a quasi-science. Curufea, I'll be taking a serious look at your suggestions next.

Elemental Circle - 12 PD/12 ED Force Wall, Restricted Shape circle (-1/4), Can be broken by any physical material crossing the circle (-1), Only vs elemental magic or spirits (-1), 0 END (+1/2), Costs END only to activate (-1/4), RSR: Elements and KS: Counter-formulas -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 90 Real: 17 Skill Roll: -4

Pentagram - 10 PD/10 ED/10 Mental Defense Force Wall, Restricted Shape circle (-1/4), Can be broken by any physical material crossing the circle (-1), Only vs Devils, Angels, or their magic (-1), 0 END (+1/2), Costs END only to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Counter-formulas -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 112 Real: 21 Skill Roll: -5

Counterdivinatory Circle - Darkness vs magical divination 2"r, Can be broken by any physical material crossing the circle (-1), 0 END (+1/2), Costs END only to activate (-1/4), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Counter-formulas -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 30 Real: 7 Skill Roll: -1

Counterillusionary Circle - 10 Mental Defense Force Wall, Restricted Shape circle (-1/4), Only to defend against Mental Illusions (-3/4), Linked (-1/2) to +10 PER, Area Effect 1 hex doubled (+3/4), Only to discern false Images (-1/2), both powers with Can be broken by any physical material crossing the circle (-1), 0 END (+1/2), Costs END only to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Counter-formulas -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active:37+67 Real: 6+14 Skill Roll: -5

Entrapping Circle - Delayed Effect Naked Advantage for one spell up to 120 active points, Only for magical circles (-2), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Formulaic Structures -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 30 Real: 6 Skill Roll: -1

Circle of Power - END Reserve: 20 REC, Recovers only after performing 1 Minute ritual (-1) + 100 END, both powers with Caster must remain within the circle or spell is lost (-1/2), Can be broken by any physical material crossing the circle (-1), Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Formulaic Structures -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 20+10 Real: 3+2 Skill Roll: -1

Analyze Circle - Detect Magic Circle, Discriminatory, Ranged, Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Metaphysics and KS: Magic Circles -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 13 Real: 4 Skill Roll: -0

Focusing Circle - 6d6 AID to INT, Recovers 5 pts per 5 minutes (+1/2), Only to improve spell casting rolls (-1), Can be broken by any physical material crossing the circle (-1), Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Consciousness -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations, -1 1/2)

Active: 90 Real: 18 Skill Roll: -4

Last one of these I'll be posting for now. Here is a list of spells inspired by Curufea, for use by diplomats, politicians, and (to a lesser extent) attorneys.

Reasonable Request - 6d6 Mind Control, Can't achieve higher than EGO+10 level (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Rhetoric -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 30 Real: 10 Skill Roll: -1

Shadow of a Doubt - 10d6 Mind Control, Only to make target believe statements (-1), RSR: Anima and KS: Rhetoric -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 50 Real: 13 Skill Roll: -2

A Book by its Cover - 8d6 Telepathy, Only to sense a person's nature and intentions (-1/2), RSR: Anima and KS: Phrenology -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Sealed Correspondence - Images, Set effect: seal (-1), 0 END (+1/2), Costs END to activate (-1/4), Uncontrolled: broken by opening letter (+1/2), RSR: Elements and KS: Personal seals -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 20 Real: 5 Skill Roll: -1

Trusted Courier - 4d6 Mind Scan, +6 ECV, Cannot attack through Lock-on (-1/2), Only allows a one-way message (-1), Courier must first find the target of the Mind Scan (-2), plus 4d6 Telepathy, Only allows a one-way message (-1), Linked to Mind Scan (-1/4), Courier must be able to speak a language understood by the recipient (-1/4), Can't exceed "surface thoughts" level (-1/2), Visible Power Effects (-1/4), both with RSR: Anima and KS: Memory -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 32+20 Real: 5+4 Skill Roll: -2

Reliable Bird - Invisibility, Only vs raptors (-1 1/2), Usable by others (+1/4), Only usable on carrier pigeons (-2), 0 END (+1/2), Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Senses -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 35 Real: 5 Skill Roll: -1

Chain of Events - Precognitive Clairsentience, Precog only (-1), Only to see how stated events will pan out (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2), RSR: Astrology and KS: Logical Progression -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 40 Real: 8 Skill Roll: -2

Fashionable - 1d6 Aid to COM, Recovers 5 pts/5 hours (+1 1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Fashion -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 22 Real: 9 Skill Roll: -1

Moving Speech - 8d6 Mind Control, Area Effect 4"r (+1), Must achieve level where target thinks its his own idea (-1/2), RSR: Anima and KS: Rhetoric -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 80 Real: 24 Skill Roll: -4

Cunning Maneuver - Precognitive Clairsentience, Precog only (-1), Only to determine the best way to outfox an opponent (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2), RSR: Astrology and KS: Logical Progression -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 40 Real: 8 Skill Roll: -2

Connections - Bureaucratics 17-, Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Local officials -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Active: 19 Real: 6 Skill Roll: -0

Wit - Conversation 17-, Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Turns of phrase -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Charm - Persuasion 17-, Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Rhetoric -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Grace - High Society 17-, Costs END to activate (-1/4), RSR: Anima and KS: Fashion -1/20 AC (-1/4), (Required Limitations -1 1/2)

Very nice! I like it. The required KS's should keep the spell casters in check, to a large extent. I can just see Thomas Jefferson corresponding with his learned friends in Paris over the precise details of his experiments to cross-breed a horse and an alligator to get a steed suitable for use along the edges of the Potomac....

One possibility (going to some extent with the Alvin Maker thing) is to differentiate what you called craft magics from Natural Philosophy by requiring folk magicians to buy their spells staright (ie: not in a VPP). That would reflect the fact that a gentleman magician works within an intellectual construct with defined rules and that he can take advantage of a body of literature built up over time. It takes longer to learn, but can do more. This is reflected by all the skills you have to buy, and the initial cost of investing in the VPP.

In contrast, Granny Fawkes can teach you to charm warts. It doesn't cost much time (points) to learn - but that's all she can do. Folk magicians would have only a few spells/charms, but it wouldn't cost them much for those few. On the other hand, it would cost far too much for them to master a lot of spells - so they *would* only have a few.

Cheers, Mark

This is close to what I was going to do, except that I was going to allow Natural Philosophers to pick up a VPP at some point (as opposed to buying all their magic in a VPP), whereas the craft magicians would not have access to one.

But you seem to have the basic idea down. Thomas Jefferson and Granny Fawkes are pretty good exemplars of the division I was going for.