The Fameous Ice Slide

Shocker

I've decided to break down and finally try out one of my favorite staple character types: The Ice Power Guy. However, I don't like the way some of the characters I've seen in the past treat some of the ice powers. So I wanted to ask a few questions:

Shouldn't Entangle defined as Ice Bonds include a small NND because of the cold?

How much of a Focus Limitation would it be if the character created items to use but they were breakable? For instance, Flight (only up or down) with a Focus: Ice Column. I figured -1/2 since he could make a new one but if he was using it and someone broke the column...splat!

My big question is the fameous Ice Slide. Some people define it as Running, some as surface Flight but I prefer Gliding. The way I see it he starts up high (hence the ice column) makes a slide and then slides down it. Now the slide is a Focus because it can be broken (resulting in him falling). It would also be Usable Against Others At Range because he can use it to catch other falling people or make slides to steer fliers in another direction.

But I'm not sure how all of this should be done. Is the -1/2 Replacable OAF enough? Too much?

Input is always appreciated.

Re: The Fameous Ice Slide

Shouldn't Entangle defined as Ice Bonds include a small NND because of the cold?

It doesn't seem to in the comics, but it's easily added if you want this effect.

How much of a Focus Limitation would it be if the character created items to use but they were breakable? For instance' date=' Flight (only up or down) with a Focus: Ice Column. I figured -1/2 since he could make a new one but if he was using it and someone broke the column...splat![/quote']

Physical Manifestetion in 5er covers this issue. I believe it originates from another book. IIRC, it's -1/4.

My big question is the fameous Ice Slide. Some people define it as Running' date=' some as surface Flight but I prefer Gliding. The way I see it he starts up high (hence the ice column) makes a slide and then slides down it. Now the slide is a Focus because it can be broken (resulting in him falling). It would also be Usable Against Others At Range because he can use it to catch other falling people or make slides to steer fliers in another direction.[/quote']

I've seen it done as Flight as some such characters seem able to gain altitude quite readily by building ice up underneath them. All a matter of preference, really. A movement multi could be appropriate to cover all the effects.

I don't see this UAO so much as a form of telekinesis.

Physical Manifestation covers the issue with the ice slide nicely, regardless of which Power you use for the movement.

I also agree that when you encase someone in ice in the comics it doesn't seem to affect them any other than as a restraint. Not too hard to Link a small NND (which won't be small once you're done with it) though.

Encase In Ice: Entangle 4d6 4 DEF (40 points) plus EB 2d6 Continuous (+1) NND (defense if LS: Intense Cold or thermal clothing; +1) 0 END (+1/2) Persistant (+1/2) Uncontrolled (stops when the Entangle is broken; +1/2) (45 points). Total Cost 85 points.

And what is the DEF and BODY of ice anyway...? I can't find it listed on any of my tables...

And what is the DEF and BODY of ice anyway...? I can't find it listed on any of my tables...

That's one of those tricky calls. In general I'd give ice little DEF and lots of BODY. But when encasing a target it removes leverage, and is therefore a stronger restraint than a generic DEF/BODY ruling would imply.

If you want to explain the basic entangle without cold damage, remember that ice can also act as a sort of insulator. Eventually, the character would melt a hollow in the ice bond, and could even stay relatively warm (well, at least above freezing).

You could also theorize that manifesting that much ice in one spot creates a bit of warmth somewhere else, like around the character being entangled (though most comic books seem to ignore things like thermodynamics when it isn't convenient anyway). So, the person may be toasty warm, but still held in an ice prison.

YMMV,

JoeG

In the past, for the Ice Slide, I've used the same costs and rules for Tunneling, then I inverted the SFX so that instead of taking away the material (earth), you are building a material (ice).

The Tunneling rules for Def and Body, taking others with your, etc. are all right there in the book. Just buy the appropriate amount of Tunneling and define it however you want. Obviously, this Ice Slide can't be used as normal Tunneling once you've defined the SFX, but the rules-structure is there if you need it.

Mags

Dust Raven, just out of curiosity, why does the Energy Blast part of the power construct have to have both Persistent and Uncontrolled? Isn't that a bit redundant? Also, shouldn't the Link Limitation be applied to either the Energy Blast or the Entangle? I'm guessing the Entangle since it is the cheaper power; of course, if the Persistent Advantage is removed from the Energy Blast, they will cost the same. I'm not trying to be contentious or anything; I'm just trying to see what I am missing.

Ice slides that actually createlarge quantities of ice may be getting something fro free. I'd rule that they would be very temporary structures held together by the instant freeze power but melting almost as quickly. the power should probably be physical manifestation rather than focus though?

Gliding works and you get extra KB, and you can't easily climb. Don't forget a UAA effect or CE to make others fall over if you manifest under them.

No NND on the ice bonds for me: ice is not necessarily all that cold - certainly not likely to cause damage in seconds.

That's one of those tricky calls. In general I'd give ice little DEF and lots of BODY. But when encasing a target it removes leverage' date=' and is therefore a stronger restraint than a generic DEF/BODY ruling would imply.[/quote']

Leverage doesn't always come into play when escaping though. A simple EB, used either by the Entangled character or another, can just as easly be used to break out.

Dust Raven' date=' just out of curiosity, why does the Energy Blast part of the power construct have to have both Persistent and Uncontrolled? Isn't that a bit redundant? Also, shouldn't the Link Limitation be applied to either the Energy Blast or the Entangle? I'm guessing the Entangle since it is the cheaper power; of course, if the Persistent Advantage is removed from the Energy Blast, they will cost the same. I'm not trying to be contentious or anything; I'm just trying to see what I am missing.[/quote']

It's 0 END and Unconrolled because once you fire it on someone, it stays in effect without the attacker having to concentrate on it or use actions to maintain it. The Persistant is there so that he can leave the area and it continues to work. Normally the attacker has to keep his Uncontrolled Power in line of sight for it to stay active.

Technically you could put the Linked on either (though I should have put it on the Entangle in my example).

Actually, a power with Uncontrolled does not require the user to maintain Line of Sight with the target, just an Endurance supply to run off of or in the case of a 0 Endurance power a set of circumstances that would deactivate it, which you already have in the construct in question. According to the last paragraph of the first column on page 272 (the new book), the character can "move away from the target of the power" without affecting the Uncontrolled power at all. So, I still don't quite see how Persistent is required since Uncontrolled allows you to do almost everything that Persistent does within the above mentioned parameters of course. Just wondering. Thanks for the reply.

Actually' date=' a power with Uncontrolled does not require the user to maintain Line of Sight with the target, just an Endurance supply to run off of or in the case of a 0 Endurance power a set of circumstances that would deactivate it, which you already have in the construct in question. According to the last paragraph of the first column on page 272 (the new book), the character can "move away from the target of the power" without affecting the Uncontrolled power at all. So, I still don't quite see how Persistent is required since Uncontrolled allows you to do almost everything that Persistent does within the above mentioned parameters of course. Just wondering. Thanks for the reply.[/quote']

Ah, seems you're wright. I don't have 5ER so I can't check that book, but I see the same statement in 5E. There was a limitation regarding LOS in 4th Edition however, I just wasn't aware that rule had changed.