Critter Help

Tim

In the Champions game I'm running, VIPER first stole a rare lizard froma zoo fundraiser. I described the lizard as having a mild paralyzing poison/venom (I used the terms interchanably).

Since then, the heros' contact has been drugged and is in the hospital in a coma. The toxicology report stated that the poison used was based on the lizard's poison/venom. Since the lizard is rare, they do not have a supply of anti-venom, and needs a sample of the venom to create one.

What I'm looking for from assembled Herodom is a good name for the lizard and of course the villian created by VIPER using the recombinate DNA technology.

Re: Critter Help

Are you looking for a real world lizard or a fantastical one? Unfortunately, there are not very many real world lizards that are venomous... the gila monster is one that I can think of off the top of my head, though I know there is at least one other and probably several. You could always use the komodo dragon as well... not venomous per se, but possesses perhaps the filthiest bite in the animal kingdom (full of nasty bacteria that cause paralysis and rapid death).

For a fantastical lizard, might I suggest something like the "spider gecko", a relatively harmless climbing lizard, named for the weblike pattern of camouflage on its back, that secretes an exceptionally toxic poison from its skin. Like the arrow poison tree frogs of South America, the spider gecko is used by local tribes to poison the tips of blowdarts (I'd place the creature somewhere in Indonesia).

The only venomous lizards known to man are the gila monster (SW U.S.) and the Mexican beaded lizard (which is a cousin to the gila monster, but a bit larger). Both have the same kind of venom, which weakens and generally sickens the subject but does not cause paralysis.

Of course, in the game there could be an extremely rare third cousin, with a similar name, which a venom that causes paralysis. Gila monsters/beaded lizards are unique among lizards because of their "beaded" scales, which are bumpy instead of smooth.

Names:

If you want a rare beaded lizard, you can name is after a location (perhaps the only location in the world they live?), which would most likely be in Southern Arizona or Northern Mexico.

Or name it based on it's color pattern. Gila monsters have a splotchy pattern of two colors (black & white/yellow). Perhaps the venomous variety have a different color (like a bright blue with white/yello). Maybe even multicolored.

You could call it a Rainbow Beaded Lizard and use this picture I came across

There are few accounts of actual lizards with venomous bites in history or legend. The gila and the beaded lizard have already been mentioned. The basilisk is a mythical snake/dragon (depending on where it's referenced) with poisonous breath, bite and whatever else. The real-world basilisk is a small lizard with frilly manes and the like. No poison, though.

It should be noted that many monitor lizards (like the Komodo dragon) have poisonous bites in that their mouths/saliva are so foul you can major infections and die from a bite. This would take time, however, and probably isn't what you're looking for. Thought I'd share, though.

I would recommend making up one of your own, a particular rare breed of South American lizard related to the gila monster and the beaded lizard (both of the family heloderma). As long as you're making things up, why not go all the way and have a small island previously only known to a few smugglers and pirates. The lizard, a small previously-unknown species, snuck aboard one of their vessels and made it's way to Mexico, where it just "happened" to mate with a beaded lizard.

The VIPER villain? Basilisk :)

The real-world basilisk is a small lizard with frilly manes and the like. No poison' date=' though.[/quote']There's a real-world basilisk? I'll have to Google that.

The VIPER villain? Basilisk :)

That would make a really cool name actually... I'll look up more info on the basilisk and see if I can't find a picture or some extra info.

There's a real-world basilisk? I'll have to Google that.

The basilisk lizard is one of those that runs across the water on two legs when scared. I'm sure you've seen a video of it at some point in your life (I still remember it from "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom"). They're actually part of the iguana family.

That would make a really cool name actually... I'll look up more info on the basilisk and see if I can't find a picture or some extra info.

Linky to get you started.

Also look up "basiliscus lizard".

It's called the Jesus Christ lizard?

Well, it does walk on water... doesn't it? :lol:

I can't find much info on it. They are small, have long limbs for a lizard, and can run up to 12 kph (7.5 mph) and can run (not actually walk) on water. They can't run across water for ever though, after a few meters they actually start to sink (the small ones can get up to 20m though).

They are not in the iguana family (though they were). They have their own family. There are four types. Common, red-headed, plummed and stripped.

Other than the fact they look really cool and can run on water, they are actually quite boring, typical lizards.

Now, what if VIPER were to combine the DNA of a basilisk and a gila monster? Result: venomous speedster?

you could just have a very rare subspecies of basilisk that IS poisonous.

Vanguard, Dust Raven and Brother Jim... You have given me the lizard and the Viper Villian. I owe you all rep. I have to wait until tomorrow (or later) to give it to you.

Holy cow' date=' THAT brings back memories...[/quote']

I remember the episode where they were filming a female White Rhino with baby, and they got a little too close and the Mother charged their jeep. They ran as the Rhino "killed" the Jeep, then trotted towards them until it was satisfied they were leaving.

("killed" means it slammed its horn Thru the front of the Jeep causing it to start smoking and bounce backward)

The Lizard: Basiliscus Venomous, common name is the Spitting Basilisk.

It is small and highly agile, much like it's cousin, the Common Basilisk, and if cornered can spit a posion over 5 feet that causes mild paralysis in the target. Males have a crest along the skull, and down its back.

the Villian: Basilisk; A high Dex speedster, that spits a contact poison that can cause paralysis in it's target. (I'm thinking using entangle based on CON, and does not work against people with full life support)

The Lizard: Basiliscus Venomous, common name is the Spitting Basilisk.

It is small and highly agile, much like it's cousin, the Common Basilisk, and if cornered can spit a posion over 5 feet that causes mild paralysis in the target. Males have a crest along the skull, and down its back.

the Villian: Basilisk; A high Dex speedster, that spits a contact poison that can cause paralysis in it's target. (I'm thinking using entangle based on CON, and does not work against people with full life support)

COOL! I might have to steal the concept (I'm using VIPER as a major enemy in my curent campaign).

I know you didn't ask for help with the paralysis, but I have an idea:

Venom Strike: Drain DEX & SPD 2d6, 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0), DEX & SPD Simultaneously (+1/2), NND (LS: Appropriate Immunity; +1/2), Continuous (+1); Not Versus Targets With Full Body Coverage (-1/4)

60 Active, 48 Real

• 2 months later...

COOL! I might have to steal the concept (I'm using VIPER as a major enemy in my curent campaign).

I know you didn't ask for help with the paralysis, but I have an idea:

Venom Strike: Drain DEX & SPD 2d6, 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0), DEX & SPD Simultaneously (+1/2), NND (LS: Appropriate Immunity; +1/2), Continuous (+1); Not Versus Targets With Full Body Coverage (-1/4)

60 Active, 48 Real

Cool. If it's spit, I believe you need Ranged on there as well. Or is Drain ranged by default? I didn't think it was. Hmm.... I'd make the Full Body Coverage the defense for the NND, though, and let the Life Support Immunity take care of it because that's its job and the SFX match. Makes it more expensive, but that's just the way I'd want to see a player build it if I were GM.

True' date=' but are we talking about the lizard or the supervillain? Very possible the villain might get a bit farther. :)[/quote']

Where's the fun in that? Let that brick or martial artist get close and the use it as a surprise attack! :eg: