Valdorian Age

skars

Re: Valdorian Age

I'm apparently not the only one who thinks of this as "Dark Champions fantasy." :D

JG

Thinking of it that way and after reading Steve's 150pt write up makes me like the idea of this game better. I am thinking of something swashbuckler-esk. I don't think much of the combat tricks in the book however, and I wish they used martial arts more. I may find tricks I like better in my Dark Champions book.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm apparently not the only one who thinks of this as "Dark Champions fantasy." :D

JG

Funny... I was thinking the same thing ;)

Many of the campaign ideas can easily be translated into the Valdorian Age, and rules-wise, I think there's stuff you could do with the Resource Points from Dark Champions that could be neat. It didn't occur to me to explore Resource Points until late in writing the Valdorian Age, so I didn't have time to fully develop the ideas, but definitely some potential there so long as the campaign is centered in Elweir.

Okay I was told but I forgot. How do you make your hero with the program and start with stats of 8? I tried just selling them back but that did not work so well.

You have to make up a custom template to do it. This is a quickie one I did that starts all primaries at 8. I also added in the Disengage maneuver from the sword martial arts in the book, since it was not a standard maneuver.

Okay I was told but I forgot. How do you make your hero with the program and start with stats of 8? I tried just selling them back but that did not work so well.

This is something that we were talking about with Don. He pointed out that adjusting the stat base (on Hero Designer) also means that you adjust the Maxima downward as well, meaning the max in Characteristics becomes 18.

Thing is, the recurring villain in the back has a DEX of 20 bought naturally (12 points plus 8 with no doubling after 18) so TVA doesn't actually make Human Maxima 18, it just makes the base 8.

The back of the book DOES mention that the GM can enforce the desired "grittiness" by only giving PCs 50 points for Disads instead of 75. This is what I'd suggest, as it doesn't involve mucking with the rules, the character sheets or Hero Designer, and it accomplishes the desired goal, as a character with base stats of 8 spends exactly 25 points to buy them all back to a "normal" 10.

JG

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the .hdc template:

I tried it, and it does work with the base-8 Characteristics, but it doesn't apply the new rules for Skill Maxima.

This is no big deal if you're playing a warrior or rogue, but I'm trying to design a sorcerer with this thing and I run into problems (since you really need more than a 13- roll in Sorcery, and the double cost for the extra skill isn't reflected).

Moreover, the Powers rules don't reflect that Valdorian magic has a base casting time of 5 Minutes, with an option for going up and down the Time Chart. Because of this, the Extra Time/5 Minutes Limitation is halved in the book. You can't do that in Hero Designer. In fact, my friend Don and I noticed that there isn't a space on the Extra Time chart for a -1 Limitation value.

None of which indicates I can't just write the character on paper, I just won't have the convienience of putting it on a file and then e-mailing the updates to my GM as necessary.

JG

While it is less convenient than just having the template do it, all you need to do is put a Custom Adder (perhaps named Normal Skill Maxima) and increase the cost of the Skill with it to the appropriate amount. You can also either type over the Only To Start for the Extra Time (type in, for instance, Valdorian Age Magic), use a Custom Modifier, or use the Limited Power Limitation to do the extra time.

While it is less convenient than just having the template do it' date=' all you need to do is put a Custom Adder (perhaps named Normal Skill Maxima) and increase the cost of the Skill with it to the appropriate amount. You can also either type over the Only To Start for the Extra Time (type in, for instance, Valdorian Age Magic), use a Custom Modifier, or use the Limited Power Limitation to do the extra time.[/quote']

I'm sure we can try that. Thanks.

JG

I asked on the HD board a while back, and it is apparently not possible to set up a skill maxima into a template. When I wrote up Marna the Manslayer, I just added in a custom adder for the extra cost and then deleted the text. When designing a sorcerer, I've just been putting in a custom limitation for Valdorian Age magic.