Valdorian Age

skars

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Valdorian Age

And don't you just Hate how much they ripped out of D&D to make those Lord of the Rings movies? That Tolkein fellah is such a hack!

Seriously though - Valdorian Age is more akin to Conan, Elric, Fafhrd & The Grey Mouser and other Sword&Sorcery genre.

D&D is akin to high fantasy videogames.

Turakian Age is High Fantasy, yes - but unless you treat it like a superhero game (like Champions) it won't come close to D&D. Plus there's all the other restrictions you'd have to enforce to reduce it down to D&D unusability.

"Grignr" - sorry, my typo, no "y"

The "hero" from the legendary story "The Eye of Argon" by Jim Theis

There's a MiSTed version here (the only version worth reading IMHO)-

http://www.bmsc.washington.edu/people/merritt/books/Eye_of_Argon.html

And to quote-

Tom: "Grignr"?

Crow: Yes, Grignr. Deal.

Just a final addendum - this is a great fun read. Difficult to do with a straight face without squirming.

Just a final addendum - this is a great fun read. Difficult to do with a straight face without squirming.

hmmm... made it to: "Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier." without laughing out loud.

That's pretty brutal; Eye of Argon has got to be published by Leisure Books.

Finally picked up my copy of VA today. I like it--much moreso than TA. TA was big, sprawling, and generic; VA is dripping with flavor and detail, and is a unique setting in its own right. The treatment of Elweir in particular is excellent--finally, a city with enough detail to serve as a complete setting in its own right.

About the only thing VA really needs is more maps and interior art. You get no real concept of what a street in Lowtown really looks like, or what might comprise a city block. Perhaps a series of free downloads could be worked up that are just random block maps.

And, as with all other Fantasy Hero 5ed books, I detest the interior layout and graphic design. Why must a Valdorian Age page look exactly like a Dark Champions page? God.

Because VA is DC only with swords? :)

You know, the funny thing is that I can sort of see that. Imagine some sword-wielding vigilante haunting the streets of Elweir, killing evildoers. I wonder what a Valdorian Age version of Harbinger would be like? :bmk:

I'm apparently not the only one who thinks of this as "Dark Champions fantasy." :D

Are you saying that's a bad thing? :)

Little does anyone know, but the site now occupied by Hudson City was once the city of Elweir. The mystic resonance and hauntings from that ancient city is the real reason that the Pearl City is as it is: the corruption, the filth (human and otherwise), and the lack of superpowered intervention. The spirit world does not want a repeat of what happened to their city, so they arrange coincidence and apathy to keep the superpowered community away.

I think you're on to something, dude. The Prince of Elweir's palace is called the Palace of the Pearl, and he sits on the Pearl Throne...

Makes you wonder if Foom's Sinking Tower is buried under Hudson City somewhere.

If that were the case it would be very cool. :)

I think you're on to something, dude. The Prince of Elweir's palace is called the Palace of the Pearl, and he sits on the Pearl Throne...

Makes you wonder if Foom's Sinking Tower is buried under Hudson City somewhere.

Now that is an interesting idea for a linkage to the past. Continents may rise and fall, and the face of the Earth may change, but Elweir lives forever, a sinkhole of depravity and crime that the gods avoid due to its wickedness. In this case, the new gods of the Earth, superhumans, subconsciously avoid Hudson City, the current incarnation of Elweir.

Now that is an interesting idea for a linkage to the past. Continents may rise and fall' date=' and the face of the Earth may change, but Elweir lives forever, a sinkhole of depravity and crime that the gods avoid due to its wickedness. In this case, the new gods of the Earth, superhumans, subconsciously avoid Hudson City, the current incarnation of Elweir.[/quote']

Which just happens to be in New Jersey. :D

JG

If that were the case it would be very cool. :)

Well, Steve stated clearly in the book that they were never going to explain why HC was different, it just is. So explaining it that way certainly doesn't go against canon.

If anything is truly "canon" in a game universe.