Valdorian Age

skars

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Valdorian Age

Could someone please post a real review of the book please, and don't say it's like Conan cause that really does not mean crap.

Questions I would like to see hit on are thing like..........

Are Humans the only race left?

What kind of religons are there and can clerics still heal?

Who are the super powers(as in goverment)?

Is there a major bad guy who everyone looks at and says "yep he's the bad guy"?

Is there any reason to play anything other than a fighter or thief?

There are many more questions but these are some of the high points. I have not yet seen the book in store and I am not buying one on line till I know more about what I am getting.

Personally I like it, it is very Conanish meaning a good fighter can be a match for a good sorceror (or so it appears at least), I have been disappointed that in most Fantasy games fighters eventually have to start to rely on magic.

I have it here in my webbed fingers, so let me try to answer your querries.

Yes, for the most part, there are monsters and such but at least in this book if there are non-human races they are well hidden, only human civilizations are covered.

Like Game Phil said the gods have pretty well turned their backs on humans, but that doesn't mean the people don't still worship gods. There are also many otherworldy beings (demons, elementals, spirits etc) that in a sense could be consider religions. All magic is based on getting these beings to do the spell casters bidding. It specifically points out that healing spells are advised against, healing potions and such being much more appropriate to the genre.

I haven't finished reading all of this but Valdoria definately appears to be he most powerful nation, it is also more "enlightened" banning slavery, sorcery etc, however it has become somewhat fragmented so its glory days are behind it, Valdoria was also not above leaving Elweir intact for financial reasons dispite the fact it allows most of the things Valdoria is against.

Elwier is the most detailed city in the book, it is a trading hub between Valdoria and the rest of the world, it is a typical "cess pool" fantasy city full of opportunity for the strong or clever. There are 50+ pages describing the city and its history.

Abyzinia is another nation in many ways the opposite of Valdoria it is ruled by a sorcerer and much of its economy is based on slavery, however it is not an "evil" land.

There are a number of smaller lands that each recieve a page or three of description including an island nation that also seems to house a number of pirates.

Is there a major bad guy who everyone looks at and says "yep he's the bad guy"? As in Sauron from LotR? no, but on a smaller scale there seems to be some local level people who could possibly be seen in this way, but none I've seen so far that scream "man that guy is evil".

Sure, depending on how the game is run there is plenty of room for a merchant, or a fast talking diplomat. In the lands that sorcery is legal a powerful sorceror (on the rise) is certainly a possibility as are lessor mages such as an apprentice or hedgemagician, a sage could prove useful as well. If you decide you want to have healing widely available to the party a shaman or alchamist / snake oil salesman type character could be appropriate but as with the genre most everyone will want some ability with steel.

I think it would be very possible to run the game with a minimum of fighters and thieves but in general I expect most games will revolve around these types of characters.

I would say the book is worthwhile just for the sorcery section even if you just want to use it in a high fantasy world. I think this book would also be helpful for converting the Werth from Riddle of Steel into HERO if you wanted to do so.

IT's HERE!

The book actually got to Dreamlands Tuesday. Along with KODT #100!

[glee] :D

Matt, most of what Toadmaster said goes, but here are my comments so far:

Basically. The book mentions that here and there there are some elven and dwarven survivors of the Turakian Age, but in a degenerate state. (The evil race that Valdor rebelled against was originally Elven.) It's up to the GM to decide if the PCs can discover their hidden lands. For all practical purposes, they don't exist.

The main territory (Valdoria) holds that there is a pantheon of gods (that doesn't really resemble the Turakian/High Church pantheon) but with the waning of magic and the wickedness of man, they left their worshippers. The book specifically says that this means belief in a god is really a matter of faith, as opposed to Turakian Age or a D&D world where their existence is empirical fact.

As for healing, that supposedly doesn't fit the genre. The GM's section does mention an option for giving sorcerors the ability to brew healing potions as a non-magical Talent. (I mention this because in one Fantasy HERO game I converted from D&D, the party's Cleric left, so I gave the group's Wizard a similar ability.)

So on the earlier question of what you do for healing, you just have to hope the game doesn't require your characters to get in combat except at very dramatic points. As you say, it could get ugly real easily, depending on whether the GM knows (or cares) about this factor.

As Toadmaster said, the two real powers- the only real powers to speak of- are Valdoria and Abyzinia. One is a law-abiding empire of freemen formed after Valdor led his revolt against the evil sorcerous race, meaning they are quite opposed to both slavery and sorcery. Abyzinia was a sorcerous slaveholding empire from that period, that has to rely more on slaveholding and demon worship as time goes on. Needless to say, these two empires are rivals. Any resemblance to Aquilonia and Stygia is coincidental, I'm sure.

Is there a major bad guy who everyone looks at and says "yep he's the bad guy"?

Not really. But that's Turakian Age. This is more a Fafhrd-Grey Mouser or Thieves' World setting, where the goal is to explore for riches or set up a personal domain more than to Stop the Dark Lord From Ending the World As We Know It.

Hard to say. Yes, I know HERO doesn't have "classes," but with no truly holy clerics and sorcery being difficult, most people could be classified as such- or at least those who use guile (thief) over those who use force (fighter). The former category could include bards, merchants, courtesans, what have you.

Sorcery is interesting. This is basically a remnant of spellcasting made necessary by the fact that ambient magic has dimmed to the point where humans can no longer cast spells directly. Rather than tap an arcane force, a sorceror summons a spirit and either cajoles or forces it to perform some task. Making the roll means the spirit does as asked. Failing means the spirit might perform the task, but demands a price.

This is handled with Favor Points similar to those used with Contacts. You can buy Favor Points to get more of an edge with spirits. Failing a Sorcery roll incurs negative Favor. Leaving this debt for too long, or refusing to pay a price for sorcery, causes all kinds of bad luck and problems. There are several methods for gaining more Favor Points or working off Favor debt. A sorceror could summon a spirit and ask it to give him some task; completion of the task earns a certain number of Favor Points. More deviously, the sorceror could invest some of his negative Favor Points into a token and have someone accept it; this person then becomes a 'scapegoat' and takes those points. A sorceror cannot coerce someone into accepting the token but might decieve him into picking it up. This is, of course, a classic Swords & Sorcery plot device. "We've had rotten luck ever since you picked up that stupid idol!!"

I think I prefer Turakian Age, but this book does what it's supposed to do, in terms of showing us a HERO version of Swords & Sorcery.

As for the last question, Matt, I don't know how long Gary wants to run his game, or whether Don wants to run, or if Jason is going to run Valdorian Age.

I'm pretty sure I'll get back to Turakian Age after everyone else gets a crack at GMing....

JG

Guest joen00b

My book purchasing power went to Guitar Building books this payday, Valdorian age must come with the next payday (Curses! Foiled again!).

From the sound of it' date=' this is not a book I am going to be willing to miss meals to buy. It sounds interesting, just not interesting enough.[/quote']

Yes, this setting is not going to be for everyone, I'm very happy with it because there have not been many decent swords & sorcery games, and I rather like the genre, but since most players have come up with D&D and other high fantasy games it will likely be an acquired taste. There is enough to make it worthwhile at some point for most FH players but I would expect most will buy it as a resource compared to those who play in the setting. I think it would also be useful for running a game in a semi-realistic setting like Pendragon, the movie The 13th Warrior or for some Beowulf & Grendel action.

The game James has been running for us in the past(and I think most of you have been reading it)has been a real hoot.

I would also like to try a renaissance style game where magic is mostly alchemy, and clerical. The idea of a Dwarf dressed in a kind of court dandy fashion cracks me up, plus the use of low tech firearms would be fun.

I would also like to try a renaissance style game where magic is mostly alchemy, and clerical. The idea of a Dwarf dressed in a kind of court dandy fashion cracks me up, plus the use of low tech firearms would be fun.

That sounds like Castle Falkenstein.

Which would also be cool.

JG

My Caleon game is set in a steampunk world, but the magic is off the scale.

In Caleon, Magic goes to 11. That's why I'm playing Valdorian Age for a bit. A break for a while... something to give contrast to Caleon. Oh, and we have many, many races. Having just Humans around will be interesting.

Happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy,

Happy happy joy joy joy!

I just got a little UPS package from Ben Seeman!

Happy happy joy joy joy!

And besides the Sorcery system, which I already knew I was going to be mining for my own fantasy world, and which is at least twice as good as the rumors hinted, the "Swords" half of the equation wasn't slighted one bit either. Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow.

Fantasy Hero Battlegrounds looks pretty cool, too, but I've only been able to give it a really cursory skim-through.

Oh, and did I mention...

Happy happy joy joy joy!

I am wondering about whether Battlegrounds at least' date=' would be better in electronic format. It would be easier to use for creating playable maps than scanning or photocopying the hardcopy version into a suitable size for miniatures.[/quote']

Then you should like Map Archive 1. It has all the maps in pdf format.

Keith "shillin' for the Man" Curtis

Agreed. I looked at Turakian age and thought "Naff. YADADKO". But I'm popping down to Fantask on Friday to get a copy of Valdorian Age.

cheers, Mark

YADADKO.

Took me a second, but I got it. :)

In all fairness, that was kind of the whole point of TA, to act as a bridge and hopefully allow players and GMs who wanted to use Hero to lure their group away from D&D.

Keith "Here, kid. Try this system" Curtis