More space news!

tkdguy

Re: More space news!

I was just reading about this. One of comments mentioned the TR-3B, which is interesting in a tin foil hat sense of the word. Might have to swipe for a campaign.

ETA: Oh, and I liked how much the energy needed changed with a little rethinking

"However, space-time is really stiff, so to create the expansion and contraction effect in a useful manner in order for us to reach interstellar destinations in reasonable time periods would require a lot of energy."

And indeed, early assessments published in the ensuing scientific literature suggested horrific amounts of energy — basically equal to the mass-energy of the planet Jupiter (what is 1.9 × 1027 kilograms or 317 Earth masses). As a result, the idea was brushed aside as being far too impractical. Even though nature allowed for a warp drive, it looked like we would never be able to build one ourselves.

He presented the results of his Alcubierre Drive rethink a year later at the 100 Year Starship conference in Atlanta where he highlighted his new optimization approaches — a new design that could significantly reduce the amount of exotic matter required. And in fact, White says that the warp drive could be powered by a mass that's even less than that of the Voyager 1 spacecraft.

That's a significant change in calculations to say the least. The reduction in mass from a Jupiter-sized planet to an object that weighs a mere 1,600 pounds has completely reset White's sense of plausibility — and NASA's.

"Significantly reduce" indeed...a change from the mass of Jupiter to less than a ton... :nonp:

"Significantly reduce" indeed...a change from the mass of Jupiter to less than a ton... :nonp:

FWIW, the mass of Jupiter is about the mass of four moles of Voyager 1's. Yes, four times Avogadro's number of Voyagers.

I have made bigger mistakes than that (a factor of 10^66 in the case I'm thinking of) but that was on an exam with an algebra error, not something that got published.

FWIW, the mass of Jupiter is about the mass of four moles of Voyager 1's. Yes, four times Avogadro's number of Voyagers.

I have made bigger mistakes than that (a factor of 10^66 in the case I'm thinking of) but that was on an exam with an algebra error, not something that got published.

Was there a problem in the math? I thought he just proposed a different configuration to generate the warping field that resulted in a reduction in the energy required from the mass energy of Jupiter down to the Voyager space probe. Where is the math error?