Marna the Manslayer - Valdorian Age Warrior Woman

Steve

[b]Marna the Manslayer - Marna Alone[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
18    STR     10   18      13-       HTH Damage 3 1/2d6  END [4]
18    DEX     30   18/21   13-       OCV 6/7 DCV 6/7
18    CON     20   18      13-
15    BODY    14   15      12-
13    INT      5   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
14    EGO     12   14      12-       ECV: 5
20    PRE     12   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
20    COM      6   20      13-
7     PD       3   7/10              7/10 PD (0/3 rPD)
6     ED       2   6/9               6/9 ED (0/3 rED)
4     SPD     12   4/5               Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12/3, 5, 8, 10, 12
8     REC      0   8
40    END      2   40
40    STUN     7   40
7     RUN      0   7"                END [2]
2     SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4     LEAP     0   4"                4" forward, 2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 135[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]  [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
8     [b][i]She-Demon With A Sword[/i][/b]: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Only When Fighting (-1/2), OIF (weapon of opportunity; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) [b]plus[/b] +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only When Fighting (-1/2), OIF (weapon of opportunity; -1/2), Linked (SPD; -1/2), Only Affects Her DEX with Swords (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) - END=0
7     [b][i]Shrug It Off[/i][/b]: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); Only When Fighting (-1/2), Requires A CON Roll  (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/4), Character Must Be Aware Of Attack (-1/4) - END=0
3     [b][i]Eyes In The Back Of Her Head[/i][/b]: Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with Normal Sight (5 Active Points); Requires An INT Roll  (-3/4) - END=0
2     [b][i]Fast On Her Feet[/i][/b]: Running +1" (7" total) - END=1

[b]POWERS Cost: 20[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]  [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Brawling Skill
4      1)  Eye Gouge:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 4d6
4      2)  Kidney Blow:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1d6 +1
4      3)  Punch/Knee/Kick:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5 1/2d6 Strike
3      4)  Tackle:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, 3 1/2d6 +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove
     Sword Skill
4      1)  Counterstrike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike, Must Follow Block
4      2)  Disarm:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 28 STR to Disarm roll
4      3)  Disengage:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 33 STR vs. Binds
5      4)  Lunge:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, Weapon +4 DC Strike
4      5)  Parry:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      6)  Trap:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, 28 STR

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 40[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
16     +2 with All Combat
3      +1 with DCV (5 Active Points); Not While Wearing Heavy Armor (-1/2)
3      +1 with Swords
6      Penalty Skill Levels:  +3 vs. Hit Location modifiers with Swords
9      Analyze:  Combat Technique 14-
3      Brawling Tricks 13-
3      Climbing 13-
3      Concealment 12-
8      Defense Maneuver I-III 
3      Fast Draw 13-
2      Gambling (Dice Games) 12-
0      Language:  Elothian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
3      Language:  Valdorian (completely fluent)
3      Navigation (Land, Marine) 12-
2      PS: Mercenary 11-
2      PS: Soldier 11-
5      Rapid Attack (HTH) 
3      Riding 13-
3      Stealth 13-
10     Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Mountain, Urban) 12-
11     Sword Tricks 15-
3      Tactics 12-
3      Tracking 12-
3      Traveler
3      1)  AK: Amyklai (4 Active Points) 13-
1      2)  AK: Blowing Wastes (2 Active Points) 11-
1      3)  AK: Cynthian Plains (2 Active Points) 11-
1      4)  AK: The Crumble (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  AK: Valdorian Frontier (2 Active Points) 11-
1      6)  CK: Elweir (2 Active Points) 11-
10     Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH) 
7      WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Siege Engines, Staffs

[b]SKILLS Cost: 135[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
4      Reputation:  skilled mercenary swordswoman (many lands around Valdoria) 11-, +2/+2d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 4[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
5      Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
4      Desperation Blow
10     Divine Favor
11     Evasive
5      Follow-Through Attack
3      Force Back
5      Hard To Hit
7      Mistress Of Her Fate
7      Not The Face!
4      Rapid Healing
5      She-Demon With A Sword: Deadly Blow +1d6 ([only usable with swords]) (7 Active Points); Requires A Sword Tricks Roll  (-1/2)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 66[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
0      Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction
10     Distinctive Features:  Tall, Athletic, Beautiful Woman (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Lust; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Loner (Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Moral Code (Common, Strong)
15     Reputation:  Marna the Manslayer, the deadliest woman alive, 11- (Extreme)
15     Social Limitation:  Barbarian (Very Frequently, Minor)
10     Social Limitation:  Woman In A Man's World (Very Frequently, Minor)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 75[/b]

Base Pts: 75
Exp Required: 250
Total Exp Available: 250
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 400

Background/History: Marna was born on a battlefield, the daughter of an Amyklai warrior woman, and her maternal forebears have served as Amyklai warriors for generations. So it was expected of her to join their ranks as well, which she did as a child. She excelled at absorbing the skills of warfare, her body growing tall and strong as the years went on and she became a woman herself. She became blooded in battle against the savage barbarians of the Crumble, killing her first man when she was only fifteen when her training cadre was ambushed while in the wilderness. While heavily wounded, she survived when many in her cadre did not. When she was sixteen, she chose to leave and wander the world, taking the name Alone as her own. Since then, she has travelled north, exploring the Cynthian Plains, the sands of the Blowing Wastes, the Nylsen Forest, and even the frontier regions of mighty Valdoria before eventually making her home in Elweir for now. In the process, her legend has grown as a fearsome warrior, a woman that men have taken to calling 'The Manslayer' out of fear and respect for her awesome skills with a blade. It is rumored that she carries the blessing of Anyu, and that is the reason for her great prowess in battle.

Personality/Motivation: Marna is a warrior at heart, battle her meat and drink, but while she enjoys the passions roused within herself during combat, she is no berserker. She trains daily to keep herself as sharp as her prized possession, a blade forged by a Valdorian swordsmith she once was involved with. While she is proud of her heritage and skills as an Amyklai warrior-trained woman, she is not boastful. She follows a simple code of morality instilled within her from her youth, making her way in the world looking at each new day as an opportunity for adventure, and a chance to test herself in battle. Despite her fearsome reputation as a brutal killer, she does enjoy the company of men of good character. And while she has been involved with several lovers during her career, she does not seek the comforts of marriage or family, fearing it would dull the edge on her skills she has worked so hard to have. Someday she would like to have a girl child to train and pass on her skills to, but for now her life is good.

Quote: If it bleeds, I can kill it.

Powers/Tactics: Marna adjusts her tactics to suit the situation, relying on her legendary skills with a sword to deal with any situation. If she outclasses her opponents, she almost verges on berserkerhood, hacking her way through her enemies almost with abandon, blood spraying everywhere her sword bites flesh. Against more capable foes, she is more cautious, weighing her opponent's skills and striking with lethal accuracy at the smallest openings in their defenses. Against the supernatural, she is a bit more cautious, but experience has shown her that she can kill anything she sets her mind on killing.

Campaign Use: Marna is intended to be the quintessential warrior woman of the Valdorian Age, the one that men sing of in taverns, much like Red Sonja is treated in Conan's world as shown in Marvel Comics she appears in.

Appearance: Standing almost six feet in height, Marna is a statuesque figure of a woman, broad-shouldered, well-endowed and athletic in build. She is dressed in heavy leather boots that rise above her knees, and fine steel armor pieces that she has acquired during her travels. They display her femininity to good effect, yet still retain a practical coverage of her body. In battle, she smiles, and that smile is often the last thing that any man who has faced her seriously in combat has ever seen.

Marna the Manslayer - Beginning Version

[b]Marna Alone - Starting Version[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
13    STR      5   13      12-       HTH Damage 2 1/2d6  END [3]
15    DEX     21   15/17   12-       OCV 5/6 DCV 5/6
13    CON     10   13      12-
12    BODY     8   12      11-
8     INT      0   8       11-       PER Roll 11-
8     EGO      0   8       11-       ECV: 3
13    PRE      5   13      12-       PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
18    COM      5   18      13-
6     PD       3   6                 6 PD (0 rPD)
5     ED       2   5                 5 ED (0 rED)
3     SPD      5   3/4               Phases:  4, 8, 12/3, 6, 9, 12
6     REC      0   6
30    END      2   30
30    STUN     4   30
6     RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2     SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
3     LEAP     0   2 1/2"            2 1/2" forward, 1" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 70[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
7      [b][i]She-Demon With A Sword[/i][/b]: (Total: 16 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Only When Fighting (-1/2), OIF (weapon of opportunity; -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) [b]plus[/b] +2 DEX (6 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only When Fighting (-1/2), OIF (weapon of opportunity; -1/2), Linked (SPD; -1/2), Only Affects Her DEX with Swords (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 7[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
      Sword Skill
4      1)  Counterstrike:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike, Must Follow Block
4      2)  Disarm:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 23 STR to Disarm roll
4      3)  Disengage:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 28 STR vs. Binds
4      4)  Parry:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      5)  Trap:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, 23 STR

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 20[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
4      +2 with swords
1      Gambling (Dice Games) 8-
0      Language:  Elothian (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
2      Navigation (Land) 11-
2      PS: Soldier 11-
3      Riding 12-
2      Survival (Arctic/Subarctic) 11-
9      Sword Tricks 14-
3      Tracking 11-
3      Traveler
4      1)  AK: Amyklai (5 Active Points) 13-
1      2)  AK: The Crumble (2 Active Points) 11-
5      WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Staffs

[b]SKILLS Cost: 39[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
10     Divine Favor
4      Rapid Healing

[b]TALENTS Cost: 14[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
0      Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction
10     Distinctive Features:  Tall, Athletic, Beautiful Woman (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Lust; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15     Enraged:  When abilities or skills questioned because she is a woman (Common), go 11-, recover 14-
10     Psychological Limitation:  Loner (Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Moral Code (Common, Strong)
15     Social Limitation:  Barbarian (Very Frequently, Minor)
10     Social Limitation:  Woman In A Man's World (Very Frequently, Minor)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 75[/b]

Base Pts: 75
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 150

This is the version of her when she started out at sixteen, young and eager to see the world.

Re: Marna the Manslayer - Valdorian Age Warrior Woman

I must confess that I thought, "Oh no, not again," when I saw the character name. But having read the character, I'm impressed - especially when I realised you where you were coming from.

I love the 'She-demon with a sword' power. Reminds me very much of Madmardigan from Willow.

Excellent character.

I must confess that I thought' date=' "Oh no, not again," when I saw the character name. But having read the character, I'm impressed - especially when I realised you where you were coming from.[/quote']

I wasn't sure what you meant by this, so I googled 'Marna' and came across some Xena fanfic references, which I assume is what you meant. Heh. Marna is actually the name of a reformed Norse villainess from a magic-heavy solo superhero campaign I am running for a friend, but after reading Valdorian Age, I came up with the name 'Marna the Manslayer' and totally redid her as a heroic-level character.

I love the 'She-demon with a sword' power. Reminds me very much of Madmardigan from Willow.

Excellent character.

Thanks. I got the idea for it from the Marvel Comics character Red Sonja and a Dark Champions super-skill. They have a power called "Lightning-Swift Warrior" in the book, and I combined that idea with some limitations taken from the "Berserker" power in Fantasy Hero. When Marna has a sword in hand, she is like a figure out of legend, almost an unstoppable killing machine. She can't use the extra phase to take a recovery or use a non-combat skill, just attack with lethal skill. I'm thinking of doing a male counterpart for her, maybe a barbarian from Khor or a Valdorian nobleman of some kind. :P

I wasn't sure what you meant by this' date=' so I googled 'Marna' and came across some Xena fanfic references, which I assume is what you meant. [/quote']

Actually, it was the 'Manslayer' bit I was referring to, and the stereotyped man-hating warrior woman it brought to my mind, not any character in particular. I know little of this Xena of whom you speak - though I do recall watching an episode four or five years ago.

What impressed me was that you had quite deliberately gone for the stereotype, and exceeded its limitations to produce an interesting character with some well-thought-out abilities.

As for the strength of my initial reaction against the stereoptype, that probably has something to do with my RPG past - I played a few games under an emotionally retarded GM whose pet NPC consistently overshadowed our PCs to the extent we were bit players in the NPC's saga. The NPC in question was named Morgan Ironwolf, who older gamers may remember as the improbably breasted female fighter from the old Basic D&D set.

Actually, it was the 'Manslayer' bit I was referring to, and the stereotyped man-hating warrior woman it brought to my mind, not any character in particular. I know little of this Xena of whom you speak - though I do recall watching an episode four or five years ago.

What impressed me was that you had quite deliberately gone for the stereotype, and exceeded its limitations to produce an interesting character with some well-thought-out abilities.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Yes, Marna is a manslayer, but she is not a man-hating warrior woman. She's actually a cross among three archetypes from the Valdorian Age book: The Barbarian, The Deadliest Man Alive, and The Woman In A Man's World. She's the Deadliest Barbarian Woman In A Man's World, so to speak. :snicker:

I'm glad you liked the character. I have ideas for a few others that I will be posting in the future.

I had decided to pass on this until I saw your 150pt write up. That made things more interesting to me. I believe I heard Heros are started with a lower than avg number points for this story line. Is that true and if so what are the point limits?

I'm glad you didn't take the clcihe way out and make her powers dependent in some way on her avoiding men. if i were to use her in a campaign, I would play her as someone who is renowned for her beauty as well as her deadliness, someone who would take a lover for a short time before moving on to other adventures.

She might well have left a string of broken hearts in her wake as she has adventured. Of course, she will never use her body to get an advantage. Her favors would be given to men who have, in her eyes, earned them by being brave, honorable and skilled.

I'm glad you didn't take the clcihe way out and make her powers dependent in some way on her avoiding men. if i were to use her in a campaign, I would play her as someone who is renowned for her beauty as well as her deadliness, someone who would take a lover for a short time before moving on to other adventures.

She might well have left a string of broken hearts in her wake as she has adventured. Of course, she will never use her body to get an advantage. Her favors would be given to men who have, in her eyes, earned them by being brave, honorable and skilled.

I'm glad you liked the character write-up. This is pretty much how I tried to portray her. She is no man-hater, and she has left a string of ex-lovers behind her due to her lack of desire for long-term relationships, such as the Valdorian smith who forged the sword she carries in her experienced version. I agree that she would not use her body to gain advantage, a side-effect of her moral code, since she sees herself as a warrior first and a woman second. Also, while she is a mercenary who sells her skills with a sword for coin, her moral code also tends to put her at odds with villainous sorts such as black sorcerers, vicious bullies who prey on the weak, and so on. She is a woman who is content to make her way alone in the world, but she does enjoy the company of men of good character, which are likely rarer in the Valdorian Age.

• 2 weeks later...