Global Guardians PBEM: 3 Immediate Openings

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Global Guardians PBEM: 3 Immediate Openings

Aghh!!!

I forgot to put in the GG package when building Turbine! Where in the world am I gonna scrape up 3 points? :ponders:

Hawksmoor

It will be added for you in audit.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Skills, etc count against the character's 500-point total?

Do the Disads count against the 150 point total?

The PC write-ups on the GG web page lead me to conclude that the answer is "no".

I got this one for you Worldmaker. First of all the package is only 3 points, He corrected it in the Player Finder section but not here. And here is a list of what you get for the three points

Global Guardians Package (3 Points): All Player Characters in the Global Guardians campaign are required to take this package.

5 Fringe Benefit: International Police Powers

3 Criminology (INT)

3 Deduction (INT)

3 Knowledge Skill: Known Superhuman Criminals (INT)

3 Paramedics (INT)

8 Team Base Donation

28 Team Communicator

-20 Hunted by Tarot 8 or less

-20 Monitored by All of the World's News Agencies 11 or less

-10 Social Limitation: Celebrity

Do the Skills, etc count against the character's 500-point total?

Do the Disads count against the 150 point total?

The PC write-ups on the GG web page lead me to conclude that the answer is "no".

You are right...after paying the 3 points. You still have 497 point to build with (350 base + 150 disadvantages - 3 ptskill package = 497) (I've spent enough time familiarizing myself with this. This is my 3rd attempt to get into the GG campaing)

I am intrigued and will attempt to subscribe to your newsletter. Assuming I make the cut.

How wacky, freaky, creepy, eerie, or out-there can ideas go before you reign them in?

[EDIT - I should specify. I don't mean wacky as in "Foxbat-like," I meant wacky as in "Sphereship Polaris" - a concept that can be played straight, but has a core element that some people will find silly. Just weeding out the concepts you don't want.]

Guest Worldmaker

So effectively it's a 550 point character with 50 points of Disads and 53 points of Skills' date=' etc, predetermined.[/quote']

Effectively.

But remember, we do use the "sauce for the goose" rule. :)

Guest lucky

How wacky' date=' freaky, creepy, eerie, or out-there can ideas go before you reign them in?[/quote']

Along similar lines, how socioculturally normative do characters have to be? In other words, how far may characters deviate from the "straight, white, beautiful, nominally Christian" superhero model before being rejected? I ask only because I've had (for instance) gay characters rejected in the past by other GMs on the grounds that their sexuality would make other players "uncomfortable."

I wouldn't worry too much about that in one of Jack's games. He has a large game world where in characters of all stripes are welcome. For instance he played a character named Gyro in my game for a bit before the RFK thing. Gyro was a drug using, Black ballet dancer with a penchant for attractive young men.

I would however remember that the GGU is four color (if a bit grittier these days) and that the player characters are heroic not anti-heroic.

Hawksmoor

-Turbine (Global Guardians 2)

-Chimera (Dawnstars)

-Hardcase (Stroud's Mercs)

GM the Damocles Directive

Co-GM the Golden Age

Along similar lines, how socioculturally normative do characters have to be? In other words, how far may characters deviate from the "straight, white, beautiful, nominally Christian" superhero model before being rejected? I ask only because I've had (for instance) gay characters rejected in the past by other GMs on the grounds that their sexuality would make other players "uncomfortable."

:celebrate Ding Dong, the Pope is Dead!:celebrate

I wouldn't be offended by gay characters in the least, but I have to say that your signature is a bit disconcerting. Why celebrate anyone's death? I'm sure you meant it as a play on the Wizard of Oz, just a bit too far for my taste.

Guest Worldmaker

How wacky, freaky, creepy, eerie, or out-there can ideas go before you reign them in?

[EDIT - I should specify. I don't mean wacky as in "Foxbat-like," I meant wacky as in "Sphereship Polaris" - a concept that can be played straight, but has a core element that some people will find silly. Just weeding out the concepts you don't want.]

We usually take it on a case by case basis. Unusual characters are okay as long as they can interact with a hero team without being... well... campaign stoppers. I think the strangest character we've had so far was a three-dimensional, living breathing anime character, complete with lime green hair and absolutely ridiculous martial arts prowess.

What sort of thing did you have in mind?

Guest Worldmaker

In other words' date=' how far may characters deviate from the "straight, white, beautiful, nominally Christian" superhero model before being rejected? I ask only because I've had (for instance) gay characters rejected in the past by other GMs on the grounds that their sexuality would make other players "uncomfortable."[/quote']

If one of your fellow players objects to you playing a gay character, then that's their problem and they will have to get over it. Of course, given that the team has already seen a gay character and a bisexual character, I doubt anyone will object.

Given that I am a non-Caucasian myself, if one of your fellow players objects to you playing a non-Caucasian, I don't want them in my campaign.

Guest Worldmaker

Jack' date=' could you tell me if my previous submission of Entropy was not accepted due to being flawed in some way?[/quote']

I don't think so, Steve... it may be that some other character fit better. Feel free to resubmit.

Guest lucky

If one of your fellow players objects to you playing a gay character, then that's their problem and they will have to get over it. Of course, given that the team has already seen a gay character and a bisexual character, I doubt anyone will object.

Given that I am a non-Caucasian myself, if one of your fellow players objects to you playing a non-Caucasian, I don't want them in my campaign.

I couldn't have asked for a better response; thank you. I'll work on completing my submission and get it in to you by the weekend.

Guest Worldmaker

Based on reading the backstories of the current Global Guardians, it appears that superheroes gain entry only by invitation. It appears that current Guardians, and the UN, are able to issue invitations.

Is this correct?

Yes

Yes

Ah.

I'm trying to bridge the gap in her backstory from the extant version to the character joining the Global Guardians. In a face-to-face game, this is where I would sit down the the GM and figure something out to make sure it fits into his setting and expectations.

I'm currently trying to find a superhero who could have been a mentor for the character I'm proposing, when the character first got into "the business". However, it appears that there aren't that many NPC heroes in the setting.

One possibility would be to simply create an NPC mentor, but I'm not sure how acceptable that would be in this instance. I'm already debating whether to submit the character with the Hunted from the extant backstory, or to find a suitable GG villain NPC and rework things in the backstory somewhat.

I'm currently trying to find a superhero who could have been a mentor for the character I'm proposing, when the character first got into "the business". However, it appears that there aren't that many NPC heroes in the setting.

One possibility would be to simply create an NPC mentor, but I'm not sure how acceptable that would be in this instance. I'm already debating whether to submit the character with the Hunted from the extant backstory, or to find a suitable GG villain NPC and rework things in the backstory somewhat.

If you want a PC mentor, there are a few ways to do this. All will involve contacting the player and GM (which can be done on the GGU chat list).

1) You may want to see if one of the GGU Golden Age campaign PCs might make a suitable mentor (i.e., after they retire, etc.)

2) I have a character that you can use as a PC mentor. He's in the GGU New Men campaign (Saul, the father of the group, a.k.a. New Man) and I think he would be suitable depending upon your character's background. If you're interested: home_n@hotmail.com

3) Just send a query to the GGU Chat list. I'm sure that you'll get a few responses.

If you go the NPC mentor route, you might be asked to write up the NPC depending on whether he is alive still or not. Also, there are a small amount of NPC heroes that are available, but that have not been posted on the website yet. I have their info (I'm also NPC Director in the GGU). Same e-mail address as above.

Neil

Guest Worldmaker

I'm currently trying to find a superhero who could have been a mentor for the character I'm proposing' date=' when the character first got into "the business". However, it appears that there aren't that many NPC heroes in the setting.[/quote']

We've been concentrating on getting the villains in place, so the GMs can play with the toys.

It would be acceptable, but you'd have to come up with an in-depth history.

Guest lucky

What is your policy on including Special Powers in an Elemental Control Framework? The character I'm working up has an END Reserve, some Knockback Resistance, Lack of Weakness and a pile of Power Defense. Should I leave these out of the Framework in my first draft and try to negotiate their inclusion in the final version of the character, or is there an ironclad rule against putting Special Powers in an Elemental Control Framework?

What is your policy on including Special Powers in an Elemental Control Framework? The character I'm working up has an END Reserve' date=' some Knockback Resistance, Lack of Weakness and a pile of Power Defense. Should I leave these out of the Framework in my first draft and try to negotiate their inclusion in the final version of the character, or is there an ironclad rule against putting Special Powers in an Elemental Control Framework?[/color']

The house rules page gives some indepth details on some the power and character construction portions.

WorldMaker,

I've been reading over your Global Guardians page over the past few days, and I must say I am incredibly impressed by all the work & love that has obviously gone into it. I'd love to get in on the action, but there's one small problem.

I've only had my copy of HERO System, 5th Ed. for a few months. I've read it completely through, and re-read some of the parts that seemd a tad confusing. I believe I have a firm grasp of the rules, but there may be a few points that slip by me. I am, for the most part, a fast learner/quick study.

I'm far from being a stranger to RPGs, I've played them for the past 15 (or so) years. Mostly D&D or Marvel Super Heroes or Rifts; over the past few years I've played nothing but D&D 3E/3.5 and Mutants & Masterminds. I've also played in numerous PbP and PbEM games over the years, so I'm no stranger to those, either.

Still, as stated, I've no experience playing HERO/Champions, and only an "armchair" knowledge of the game system itself. Would my level of inexperinece prevent me from joining the Global Guardians game? If so, I completely understand.

Assuming I'm not automatically turned down for that, the character concept I've got is one tht might fit well with the team -- a super-intelligent gadgeteer, though one more like Mr. Fantastic than Iron Man. (I really wish they'd come out with The Ultimate Gadgeteer.) However, based on my understanding of the rules, it seems the power I'd most want for my Gadgeteer is... VPP. Actually, 2 VPP's -- one VPP to represent gadgets he's got in his lab [Focus (all powers bought through VPP must have at least -½ worth of this Limitation; -½), Can Only Be Changed In [X]’s Laboratory (-½), Adding Powers to the VPP Requires an Inventor Skill Roll (-¼)], and one VPP to represent his ability to MacGyver baling wire, duct tape, circuit boards, and a TV to produce a laser rifle, a hologram projector, or some other gadget [Focus (all powers bought through VPP must have at least -½ worth of this Limitation; -½), OIF (appropriate objects of opportunity; -½)]. I would completely understand a reluctance to accept such a character, especially one submitted by a potential player with only the barest of experineces with the HERO rules.