Game of Thrones

Tyrant

Re: Game of Thrones

Glen Cook, maybe? Eric Flint? Hmmm...trying to think of someone that has the same "style" as Martin AND could do epic fantasy. Tad Williams, maybe? Though I just couldn't get into the "Dragonbone Chair" books, I think he could finish up the Ice & Fire books and be readable.

Maybe Raymond Feist? He can sure do the epic part.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to read Erikson, and just gave up after about 100 pages. I had not one single clue what was going on, even to not being sure who the main characters were. I haven't been that confused since, um....OK, there has to be something. Tristram Shandy, maybe (which I also abandoned).

I read the wikipedia article on Gardens of the Moon and remembered why it was so confusing. Most characters have at least two names and a title, unannounced narrative jumps of several years, and at least a half dozen seemingly unrelated subplots. I got through it, but it felt like I'd read a short story anthology.

I actually ran SOIAF using the Dogs in the Vineyard rules, to get all the social stuff. Campaign was called "The Second Sons" for obvious reasons, with the tabard replacing the coat. All Valerian steel items had to be named -- one PC had the only piece of Valerian steel ever made into armor . . . lots of fun.

Aw' date=' c'mon. Tyrion Lannister is far to interesting a character for Anne Rice to ever have written.[/quote']

Tyrion is far too... too... something for most authors to write. Think of his attributes, his proclivities, and his actions --- yet, he remains one of the most popular/well liked characters by the readership. He is an abhorrent person but I still like him.

Odd...I dont' see him a abhorrent, really, at all. In fact, I see him as one of the "good guys", just crippled by his deformities and who he is related to. Well, OK, he did kind of...um, don't want to give away spoilers, but you have to agree that anyone he has "wronged" sure had it coming to them...

He's certainly one of my favorite characters, along with Jon Snow and Davos Seaworth, though who knows if the latter is still alive or not.

Oh, and as for minor characters, how can you not like Dolorous Edd?

See that's the weird part. Tyrion isn't capable of being in a normal relationship. He prefers whores so he knows where their loyalty lies. He isn't capable of friendship but can buy all the friends one could want. He is a drunken coward. He kills those whom he should not.... He is an abhorrent human being but, like you, I still like him.

Oh, I dunno...he only sleeps with whores because that's the only women that will have him - he's a crippled dwarf with mis-matched eyes after all. And you have to admit, his formative years did teach him to be distrustful...but not distrustful enough, it seems. Coward? Well, sort of. Physically you could say he is, but then, I would be afraid to go into combat with a knight too if I were him. Drunken? Not all that much. Sure, he drinks, and likes it, but he's rarely blotto. As for friendship, I think he is capable, if otheres would be friends with him. I'd argue Jon Show is possibly his friend. Oddly, so is his brother Jaime.

And I'm pretty sure everyone he killed he should have...sometimes years too late, granted.

Oh, I dunno...he only sleeps with whores because that's the only women that will have him - he's a crippled dwarf with mis-matched eyes after all. And you have to admit, his formative years did teach him to be distrustful...but not distrustful enough, it seems. Coward? Well, sort of. Physically you could say he is, but then, I would be afraid to go into combat with a knight too if I were him. Drunken? Not all that much. Sure, he drinks, and likes it, but he's rarely blotto. As for friendship, I think he is capable, if otheres would be friends with him. I'd argue Jon Show is possibly his friend. Oddly, so is his brother Jaime.

And I'm pretty sure everyone he killed he should have...sometimes years too late, granted.

See we agree.... You just have reasons why he is like he is and I certainly didn't say that there weren't some really hunkered aspects to being Tyrion.

:D

Indeed :cheers::eg:- except for the coward part. I think he's very courageous in some ways. And I still say he's one of the "good guys" - well' date=' relative to the rest of the characters, that is. Granted, some of them are true cesspools of depravity...:ugly:[/quote']

I'd say his inner self is a coward but one who struggles against his nature. He is a hero by circumstance. And who isn't a good guy around Gregor?

Yes, there is an RPG. The main book was published by Green Ronin, but they don't seem to have it available any longer.

Main RPG Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-D20-Based-Open-Gaming/dp/1588469425

Two upcoming Adventure books in the above setting:

http://www.amazon.com/Song-Ice-Fire-RPG-Adventure/dp/1934547166/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208967901&sr=8-17

http://www.amazon.com/Song-Ice-Fire-Roleplaying-Adventures/dp/1934547123/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208967870&sr=8-14

And the Latest NOVEL HAS A RELEASE DATE:

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0553801473/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208967870&sr=8-2

Now we'll see if it will actually hit the streets on said date...

Honestly, I think that while GRRM is extremely hard on his characters, what he's really doing is brutalizing fantasy tropes. He'll start a subplot down a pretty well-worn path and then, rather suddenly, veer sharply off of it. There was a princess who was very apprehensive about her arranged marriage to a barbarian king; her ultimate reaction was not stereotypical. There was another princess who was ecstatic to be married to the king of her dreams, and she didn't get a fairy tale ending either. Nor did the direwolves, after they were so carefully matched up to the Stark children in the first few chapters of the book; or the orphaned girl who was secretly taught to fence; or the shieldmaiden who turned out to be neither fair nor even that great in combat; nor the rebel prince who took up arms against those who unjustly slew his father; nor the best swordsman in the land.

Unpredictability, in a word, is GRRM's hallmark in this series. Not all the surprises are brutal outcomes for the characters, but many are, simply because he's breaking so many cliched fairytale endings. Any author has to be hard on his characters around the middle of the story, to build up dramatic tension and reader sympathy--and the middle of the story is about where we are now.

It sounds to me like GRRM set out not to tell a story, but to skewer fantasy. He would have been better off writing an obviously snide parody so that those who don't want to read a book of skewers wouldn't have bothered.

It sounds to me like GRRM set out not to tell a story' date=' but to skewer fantasy. He would have been better off writing an obviously snide parody so that those who don't want to read a book of skewers wouldn't have bothered.[/quote']

Y'know, I think Kristopher's just summed up my feelings on the author and this setting.