Adjusted END: Does it stick around?

Black Rose

Since this is more of a "How would you do it elegantly?" question than an "Is this technically correct?" question, I decided to save Steve the work and start it here.

I have a character with a rather large END Reserve (at least 120 at the mo'), and a very tiny, very slow Recovery (1/10 minutes, or 6/hour). Also, the Reserve "leaks", by which I mean END points fade at a rate pretty close to the Recovery rate (1/12 minutes, or 5/hour). There is a reason for this; the character has a number of interesting abilities powered by thie End Reserve, and I don't want her to bounce around using them all the time. Or rather, I want it to be a real decision to spend the energy to do so. To fill it up from zero would take five days at 1/2 DCV (or seven days, eight hours if you refuse REC when asleep), and most of the powers pulling from it are 2x END, so we're talking a real crunch.

However, she also have a number of ways to augment the Recovery; some are out-of-combat only, others are purely combat methods. She has two mid-sized Absorbs (one physical, one energy), and two small Transfers (one in combat, one out). Thing is, at the moment they all feed to the Reserve. But do those points stay, or do they fade?

And if they do fade, would it be better to Absorb and Transfer to the Recovery, or is there a "better way" to produce the effect? By the way, the effect, since I haven't bothered to mention it yet, is a Negative Chi Aura that draws in some of the chi from incoming attacks that have it (torches don't, but swords do), with an technique that sends out a "tendril" of the aura to draw chi at range, as well as a technique to draw from someone being touched.

Any thoughts?

Re: Adjusted END: Does it stick around?

...yep, but it's a limitation: doesn't prevent the points fading.

I think Black Rose has already stated the best method:use the absorb/transfer to boost REC - it will only stay boosted for a while but you can fill the entire pool in a few turns that way.

Alternatively you could leave it boosting the END. If you use END from the pool it comes from the boosted bit first, so it would encourage you to use the powers immediately after absorbing the END to do so: depends what effect you are after. :)

Although it might be a little broken, I always thought that any adjustment when applied to a lowered power or characteristic "healed" the lost amount. Aided Body, Transfered END and AIDed Energy Blast all recovered the lost points *before* the powers designated fad rate. IE after post 12 or whatever the added points did not fade as long as the ability in question was at or below the starting value. It seemed a good fix for the ridiculously affordable delayed fade rate advantage.

OTOH, Black Rose do be aware that Adjustments to END reserve work as if the Power contained END in the 2 END per CP and not 1 CP= 10 END RESERVE.

Hawksmoor

...yep, but it's a limitation: doesn't prevent the points fading.

I think Black Rose has already stated the best method:use the absorb/transfer to boost REC - it will only stay boosted for a while but you can fill the entire pool in a few turns that way.

Alternatively you could leave it boosting the END. If you use END from the pool it comes from the boosted bit first, so it would encourage you to use the powers immediately after absorbing the END to do so: depends what effect you are after. :)

I sorta figured it would turn out this way. I think I am going to have the (smallish) Transfers go to REC, and the Absorbs go to END. That way I can boost it in a lasting way, but slowly, and only out of combat. Or I can boost it a lot, but only for a short while.

FWIW, the effect I'm going for is "ripping" the yin out of a SFX: Chi attack for my own use (the Absorb) or "leeching" onto the REC of another person and stealing the chi they would normally be "drawing from the universe".

Although it might be a little broken, I always thought that any adjustment when applied to a lowered power or characteristic "healed" the lost amount. Aided Body, Transfered END and AIDed Energy Blast all recovered the lost points *before* the powers designated fad rate. IE after post 12 or whatever the added points did not fade as long as the ability in question was at or below the starting value. It seemed a good fix for the ridiculously affordable delayed fade rate advantage.

OTOH, Black Rose do be aware that Adjustments to END reserve work as if the Power contained END in the 2 END per CP and not 1 CP= 10 END RESERVE.

Hawksmoor

I think this might have been either canon 4th Ed, or House Ruled so often it became fanon*.

And yeah, I know it's 2/1, not 10/1. :) I could only be so lucky.

I sorta figured it would turn out this way. I think I am going to have the (smallish) Transfers go to REC, and the Absorbs go to END. That way I can boost it in a lasting way, but slowly, and only out of combat. Or I can boost it a lot, but only for a short while.

FWIW, the effect I'm going for is "ripping" the yin out of a SFX: Chi attack for my own use (the Absorb) or "leeching" onto the REC of another person and stealing the chi they would normally be "drawing from the universe".

I do like the sound of that! (desperately looks for a yin-yang smiley, can't find one: have to make do...) :uranus:

I've always House Ruled that any Characteristic' date=' Power, etc, that was for some reason below its normal value, and then raised with any Adjustment Power, wouldn't fall back below its normal value unless subsequently Drained, etc, again in the future.[/quote']

Unfortunately, that short-changes anyone that has bought a reduced return rate on their drains or transfers.

John T

Thing is' date=' at the moment they all feed to the Reserve. But do those points stay, or do they fade?[/quote']

Per Hero 5th Edition Revised rules, those points fade. And the rules specifically state that you can't use Healing on an END Rerserve. Of course since you are the GM, you can ignore these and simply say that Adjustment points are permanent when applied to an END Reserve.

And if they do fade' date=' would it be better to Absorb and Transfer to the Recovery, or is there a "better way" to produce the effect?[/quote']

Oddly enough, I had a thread discussing exactly what you are talking about, or something very similar. Of course it's a "New Power" construct and it's up to you to determine if you want the hassle of keeping track of it. Search for "New Power: Adjustment Reserve". The first post contains the suggested mechanic, but you can change it as necessary to fit what you need.

- Christopher Mullins

Unfortunately, that short-changes anyone that has bought a reduced return rate on their drains or transfers.

John T

Why? It takes an adjustment power to defeat an adjustment power.

Hawksmoor

-and people ask why I restrict these powers so heavily? :stupid:

IMO, not really.

Of course, I put enjoyment, story, and simulation far, far ahead of Perfect Balance, so it might be that I just don't care that much, really.

FWIW I've been selectively applying a +1/2 Advantage to Adjustment Powers, "Does Not Fade Below Starting Values," as a House Rule since the early days of 5E. I derived the cost from Aid with this Advantage plus the "Costs Endurance" Limitation; the resulting construct functions mechanically like Aid from Fourth Edition, but keeps the current higher cost for Aid which most people believe is better balanced.

Even though Aid was the cost determinant, I don't normally let this Advantage be taken for Aid by my players. It makes Aid-based Healing more effective, and IMO the current restraints on Healing are better overall for game balance. Transfer is another matter - you have to have a source for the points that you Transfer from, which can be harder to find. I also caution use of this Advantage for Absorption, lest it become too easy for a PC to let his friends punch or blast him in order to "power up."