Dem's the Breaks

AnotherSkip

Heres a question for both the main researcher(ie Steve) as well as the others out there.

when/what are the breaks between Western Hero, Victorianna Hero and Pulp Hero? I know they are probably in that order but what sort of general dates are we looking at?

(like 1860-1890 WH, 1890-1920 VH, 1920-1930 PH) or should WWI break that up?

if ya don't get me give me a week and ill rephrase.....

Re: Dem's the Breaks

Heres a question for both the main researcher(ie Steve) as well as the others out there.

when/what are the breaks between Western Hero, Victorianna Hero and Pulp Hero? I know they are probably in that order but what sort of general dates are we looking at?

(like 1860-1890 WH, 1890-1920 VH, 1920-1930 PH) or should WWI break that up?

This might help out, a Hero PDF that's up under the "Free Stuff" section:

http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/freedocs/HeroUniverse.pdf

In terms of my research, the pulp era covers 1920-1939. The pulps themselves were published long before and long after those dates, but those two decades are what gamers tend to think of as "the pulp era," in my experience, and they provide a useful benchmark for defining the task at hand.

Technically, the Victorian Age begins with Queen Victoria's ascension to the throne, and ends with her death (1837-1901). However, there's no way a game product can thoroughly cover 64 years and still be produced in a reasonable time frame with a reasonable amount of effort. For purposes of researching a game product, I would probably focus on 1870 or 1880 until 1901, with only brief amounts of information for 1837 until the chosen starting date.

Western Hero largely overlaps Victorian Hero in terms of timeframe (though the subject matter diverges sufficiently that there's no reasonable way to combine the two, as some fans have suggested, and produce a book that provides a reasonable amount of coverage for both subjects). While many books on the history of the American West start with the Lewis & Clark expedition and go until around 1900, again there's no reasonable way to cover that much time in a game product. The focus in WH will be on 1866-1890, with at most a brief discussion of 1803-1865.

In terms of my research, the pulp era covers 1920-1939. The pulps themselves were published long before and long after those dates, but those two decades are what gamers tend to think of as "the pulp era," in my experience, and they provide a useful benchmark for defining the task at hand.

Technically, the Victorian Age begins with Queen Victoria's ascension to the throne, and ends with her death (1837-1901). However, there's no way a game product can thoroughly cover 64 years and still be produced in a reasonable time frame with a reasonable amount of effort. For purposes of researching a game product, I would probably focus on 1870 or 1880 until 1901, with only brief amounts of information for 1837 until the chosen starting date.

Western Hero largely overlaps Victorian Hero in terms of timeframe (though the subject matter diverges sufficiently that there's no reasonable way to combine the two, as some fans have suggested, and produce a book that provides a reasonable amount of coverage for both subjects). While many books on the history of the American West start with the Lews & Clark expedition and go until around 1900, again there's no reasonable way to cover that much time in a game product. The focus in WH will be on 1866-1890, with at most a brief discussion of 1803-1865.

1870-1901 sounds good Steve.

G

Completely tangential - any chance of a Colonial Hero, covering pre-Revolutionary America? (Yet another choice of 'what years to cover'?)

Well, I won't say that's completely out of the question, but it's unlikely. However, if and when Shelley Mactyre finishes writing Regency Hero for us, that covers roughly 1775-1820. While RH is likely to focus mostly on England/Europe, it certainly won't ignore America.

Well' date=' I won't say that's completely out of the question, but it's unlikely. However, if and when Shelley Mactyre finishes writing [i']Regency Hero[/i] for us, that covers roughly 1775-1820. While RH is likely to focus mostly on England/Europe, it certainly won't ignore America.

Hm. That would be Revolutionary America. Still, worth looking forward to.

Oh, and one question: is that going to be before or after she writes PRIMUS? :)

Before' date=' long before. She has a contract for, and has been working on, RH; neither statement applies to a possible book about PRIMUS.[/quote']

Ah, OK. (Keeping the thread firmly hijacked...)

As I had heard a while back that she is the chosen author for the PRIMUSbook (pending her completion of law school, as I recall), and Regency Hero is a relatively new one on me, I was curious about the relative scheduling. The former (and later scheduled) is of more interest to me as of now, but I am at least curious about the latter as an exposition of a historical period with which I am not familiar (thus the potential to learn something new through my gaming hobby).

Guest Worldmaker

The focus in WH will be on 1866-1890' date=' with at most a brief discussion of 1803-1865.[/quote']

Will there also be a brief discussion on the other end of the cowboy era? That is, 1890 to... oh... 1910 or thereabouts, when the last of the outlaw gangs and rough riders disappeared and "eastern civilization" finally took over the west?

This was the period Butch and Sundance's Wild Bunch were the most active, just to name one group. Its the era of "Big Jake" (a personal favorite) and a handful of other really good westerns.

Guest Worldmaker

I foresee a LOT of Highwaymen being written up, as well as former sailors, etc.

Why former? Regency would cover Jack Aubry and Horatio Hornblower... campaign fodder if there ever was any...

Will there also be a brief discussion on the other end of the cowboy era? That is, 1890 to... oh... 1910 or thereabouts, when the last of the outlaw gangs and rough riders disappeared and "eastern civilization" finally took over the west?

If there's any treatment of those years at all, it will be extremely brief.

Regency Hero, huh?

I foresee a LOT of Highwaymen being written up, as well as former sailors, etc.

I would LOVE it if Peter Francisco were mentioned under the section on America.

That era covers the time of The Scarlett Pimpernel as well.

• 1 year later...

Well' date=' I won't say that's completely out of the question, but it's unlikely. However, if and when Shelley Mactyre finishes writing [i']Regency Hero[/i] for us, that covers roughly 1775-1820. While RH is likely to focus mostly on England/Europe, it certainly won't ignore America.

When and if! As if a new law practice or pregnancy ever slowed anyone down! :)

(OK, so I'm a year late to this thread -- it's been a busy one! And yes, I'm still chugging along.)

Shelley

PS: And I've got lots of fodder for "Calamitous Clients," Steve!

Thats ok so long as you know who Holmes' date=' Moriarity, Watson, and the Ripper are :P[/quote']

:) Indeed, I do. But they're long, long after the Regency ends (1820). The London Monster is probably the closest Hanoverian analog to the Ripper -- he was a man who ran around London stabbing women with hat pins and similar implements, often concealed in a bunch of flowers.

Shelley

This was the period Butch and Sundance's Wild Bunch were the most active, just to name one group. Its the era of "Big Jake" (a personal favorite) and a handful of other really good westerns.

I hope this gets a smidgeon of coverage, you can't skip completely the death of Wyatt Earp, The Capture of Geronimo, and I believe that Lonesome Dove takes place in this timeframe too, but maybe not...

Shelly,

The Screcrow of Romney Marsh is Doctor Christopher Syn, a Regency Era fictional character written be Richard Thorndike, first published in 1915. He first appears in 1754, smuggling to avoid British excise tax.

Christopher Syn works by day as the Vicar of Dynmarch, but by night assumes the identity of the Scarecrow, leader of the Devil Riders. This story was adapted by Disney in 1962 as The Scarecrow of Romney March and the title character played by Patrick McGoohan, most famous as the Prisioner #6 in the show of the same name.

Also, this character appears in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, in a portrait of an earlier league, which also features Natty Bumpo, Fanny Hill and Gulliver.

hope this catches your interest,

oryan