Power that prevents resurrection

Tywyll

HOw would you build a power that stops Resurrection (or regrowth of limbs with Healing for that matter)? For instance, if Resurrection were common(ish) but there were some weapons/demons/attacks that prevented its use, how would you model it?

Basically I am thinking of something like a Stormbringer attack that eats the soul, or a demon who claims the soul and absorbs it, or simply a magical attack that is so vicious you cannot regrow organs/limbs lost to it.

Re: Power that prevents resurrection

6d6 dispel (standard effect - 21 points) to resurrection adder 18 character points

Can remove adders (5er p 111) +1

Active points 36

Obviously there are plenty of limitations you can apply, but it is basically a way of 'breaking' the resurrection effect. You'd hit the corpse with the power, the effect shuts off and as the poor chump is dead, it can not be switched back on again.

Example:

Final Peace

This is a prayer said over a dead body to prevent it returning from the dead due to an inherent supernatural power. It does not prevent others resurrecting the body with magic subsequently, but could (with GM permission) be used if the body was in the process of being resurrected, requiring the resurrecter (sp?) to start again. If the target resurrects very quickly indeed you might need a friend to encourage the target to stay dead through the prayer, possibly by the application of judicious violence.

Base power (as above) 36 Active Points

Extra time: 1 minute (-1.5) - it takes a while to say the spell

Increased END: x3 (-1.5) - and it is tiring

Focus (OAF -1) - requires a Holy Symbol

Gestures, incantations (-0.5) - you need to hold up the symbol and chant throughout

Concentration (0 DCV -0.5) - you need to give it your full attention

Total Limitations -5

Real points: 6

There are various ways around it for the wary, but it should deal with most resurrecting critters. Hope that helps :)

This wouldn't work so well to prevent limbs growing. I'd go for supress or drain (a 2d6 standard effect would do it). Transform works but I don't like using it unless there really is no alternative, and there clearly is in this case.

Just make it a campaign rule that all resurrection effects have "soul stealing" as one of the things they won't resurrect against. Soul stealing effects should be correspondingly very rare and be piled high with Limitations (only during the full moon, only when the stars are right, one charge, etc.).

...also don't forget that every type of resurrection needs something defined to stop it happening. For creature types, a KS will tell you what that is and you can just sprinkle the garlic/consecrate the grave or whatever is appropriate.

Sean (and others),

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the "removing Adders" option, its something that never crossed my mind. Excellent choice.

As for stopping a critter from coming back from the dead... that's not really what I am looking for. I'm really looking for things that the PCs should be truly terrified of. So. whatever I went with would need to 'stick' to the corpse I suppose.

I'm thinking a 12 Guage with .00 buckshot... double tap to the head... that ought to do it.

pretty cheap... you get a focus limitation... and you could even put a limitation on it "Only vs. incapacitated, dead targets"

"The Finisher" you call it.

Cheap! :sneaky:

As for stopping a critter from coming back from the dead... that's not really what I am looking for. I'm really looking for things that the PCs should be truly terrified of. So. whatever I went with would need to 'stick' to the corpse I suppose.

Terrified of? Ooooooooohh! Cool. Let's get nasty!! Summon a guardian of the dead, that will attach itself to the body and REAM anyone who tries to resurrect it. Build any kind of Triggered effect that will go off if someone tries to Resurrect the body. Transform the body's Soul into something that will go insane and attack friends (or become, "Chaotic Evil") if and when it comes back from the dead. Here's a good one: a large Triggered Transform that will start turning the character into a hideous undead beast if and when it comes back to life!

Terrified of? Ooooooooohh! Cool. Let's get nasty!! Summon a guardian of the dead' date=' that will attach itself to the body and REAM anyone who tries to resurrect it. Build any kind of Triggered effect that will go off if someone tries to Resurrect the body. Transform the body's Soul into something that will go insane and attack friends (or become, "Chaotic Evil") if and when it comes back from the dead. Here's a good one: a large Triggered Transform that will start turning the character into a hideous undead beast if and when it comes back to life![/quote']

You are one sick puppy.

Did I mention I think that is a good thing? :rockon:

I really like that idea, that's very cool.

So I guess an attack that does the same thing would be something like a Triggered, Linked, Sticky effect that would stick to a character's body permenantly. Though how to make it permenant?

I really like that idea, that's very cool.

So I guess an attack that does the same thing would be something like a Triggered, Linked, Sticky effect that would stick to a character's body permenantly. Though how to make it permenant?

Permenant in what sense? Meaning it will absolutely always affect the character, no matter what? No way to get rid of it? There is really no way to do that, except to make it so as the GM. Transform is about the closest you can come.

For it to affect a character once (which may be all you need), I'd suggest just a Trigger with Invisible Power Effects (so no one suspects it is there until it is too late). Sticky? OUCH! Sticky is for the really really nasty disease/curse effects that can spread like wildfire. If you do that, it may become the central focus of your story (to survive it, get rid of it, etc.). Not necessarily a bad thing, but good to be aware of and plan for.

Of course, if you are looking for a way to keep characters from getting resurrected at all (or make it very difficult and rare to do), just make it that way in your campaign. You don't have to build some Power to justify it.

Permenant in the sense that it functions without duration, everytime a resurrection attempt is made. Not unbeatable (I imagine a "miracle" level resurrection being able to get past it).

And while I am close to simply handwaving it, now that my players are finally getting their heads around the beauty of the Hero system, they are trying to build their own stuff. If /they/ go for a similar power, I am interested in knowing a way to do it, especially if they come up against someone who has something similar already.

Heh... sticky's problems... didn't think about that, but that would make for a cool storyline.

Hmmm... Healing is an adjustment power. So why not apply a couple of levels of Difficult to Dispel (or better yet, call it Hard to Heal) (+¼ per level) to your attack power? That way, the efforts of a healer healing someone wounded by a Sword of Wounding would be halved (or quartered, or eigthed, ect) for every level of Hard to Heal placed on the attack.

Example: Jottun has just been stabbed in the gut during a desperate duel with Tomas the Dark, who's armed with Vlad the Bloodsucking Blade. Despite the grave wound, Jottun defeats Tomas and staggers over to his friends, one of whom is skilled in Healing magic. The first thing Alrion does when he gets to Jottun is to remove Jottun's garments so he can check the severity of the wound (in Game terms, Jottun has lost 3 BODY) and begin a Healing chant (4D6 Simplified Healing) and rolls 17 STUN, 5 BODY. Normally, Alrion's chant would bring Jottun up to his full BODY. However Vlad was built with 4 levels Hard to Heal, so Alrion's roll of 5 BODY is divided by 16 for a result of 0.3125 or 0 BODY healed. It looks like Jottun's gonna have to take some serious R&R time... :sick:

Hmmm... Healing is an adjustment power. So why not apply a couple of levels of Difficult to Dispel (or better yet' date=' call it [b']Hard to Heal[/b]) (+¼ per level) to your attack power? That way, the efforts of a healer healing someone wounded by a Sword of Wounding would be halved (or quartered, or eigthed, ect) for every level of Hard to Heal placed on the attack.

For that matter, since Healing is an Adjustment Power, I would personally think that Power Defense should work against unwanted applications. So, depending on whether you want to handle it this way, you could simply buy Power Defense that is Usable as Attack (and Uncontrolled for multiple applications?).