A Thread For Random Links

Thrakazog

• 2 weeks later...

A hybrid eclipse is a combination of annular and total, always (I think) starts annular, transitions to total for a portion of the track, then transitions back to annular.  The Earth being a sphere, the middle of the eclipse track is closer to the Moon than the ends of the track.  If the apex of the Moon's umbra reaches the surface of Earth only in the middle of the track, then that middle portion sees a (brief) total eclipse, and the rest of it sees an annular eclipse.

The April 2024 eclipse comes ashore at Mazatlan (if that's within your budget :rolleyes: ) and then moves northeast, with greatest duration happening in northern Mexico.  I'll be retired by then, and I haven't decided yet if I'll try to go see it (if I do, it'll probably be in Texas; I still have old grad school friends in Austin).  Early April is iffy for weather, though, which is a major difference between the 2024 eclipse and the one we did go see in August 2017: in eastern OR and southern ID in mid-August, clear conditions are all but guaranteed.  But the eclipse path also passes over Cleveland, if Cygnia will put up with a bunch of HERO louts....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://pst-iranian.ir/itr/cognate-improper-integrals

AFAICT, this is something like what you would get if you took a day's lecture notes (or perhaps a day's websurfing captures), wrote each sentence or line in your notes on its own 3-by-5 card, then shuffled the resulting deck and write it all out in a single unstructured paragraph.   Almost makes for a conceptual jigsaw puzzle.

• 2 months later...