Re: Mechanon's Self Destruct

Guest innominatus

Guest innominatus

I don't know that my version of Mechanon is THAT much more complicated, Tom. In a combat situation, the only thing that really changes is the shift from Duplication to Multiform. Now when the head detaches, he has a Full Phase available instead of a Half Phase. And as far as the reassembly of the body goes, it's very easy to sum it up to beginning GM's: "If the head escapes and makes it back to base, Mechanon will roll off the assembly line as good as new in two hours. If the head gets destroyed, the rebuild begins at the instant of his death and it'll take three hours, at which point he'll be even BETTER than before!"

By the way, thanks one and all for the comments and feedback so far. I know my interpretation of the powers isn't perfect for everybody's campaign (although no problems have arisen yet that there wasn't already an in-game solution so far), but hopefully I've been able to demonstrate my larger point: namely, that with all the game mechanics options available in 5th Edition, there's fewer and fewer reasons for GM's to resort to plot devices to achieve their goals. At the risk of sounding like my grandfather, it was different back in the days of 2nd and 3rd Edition (for those of us who were around and remember it), when we often didn't have a choice but to wave our hands at a problem and say, "It just happens." But if all the improvements to the system in the last decade, in my mind there's no reason not to at least TRY a game-mechanic solution first, unless you're pressed for time, you're lacking in imagination, or just feeling lazy.

Uh, oh.....generation gap...catching up with me....age...taking over....

"Oy, you kids don't know how good you got it these days! SKILLS?!?! When I was your age we didn't have skills! All we could do was fight! And we were THANKFUL, dammit!!!

:D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generation gap ? That is kind of funny. I may be a Johnny come lately around here, having only started to play HERO back in '89 with 4th edition, but I am older than you, innominatus.

And as I expected, my comment that it seemed slightly more complicated than a standard introductory character was a matter of personal taste, and our tastes differ.

Originally posted by Shadowpup

There's a bunch of us that are older than he is ;)

Well Im not; you are all a bunch of decrepit old fogeys compared to me; why, Im not even quite 30 yet ;)

Nice write up innominatus; it changed a pointless argumentative thread into a cool addition to the game thread.

BTW, do you happen to have the character file to post?

;)

On the subject of birthdays, and apropos of nothing, when looking to see how pathetically aged you all are, I noticed that tsejui and Geoff Speare were both born on December 31, 1969. I find that to be freakishly coincidental and highly unlikely. Therefore, I am going to assume that they are the same person.

Nice job, keeping us all thinking you are 2 people, but it was bound to fall through eventually. True, one of your alter egos wears glasses and the other doesnt but that trick is played out.....

Originally posted by innominatus

"Oy, you kids don't know how good you got it these days! SKILLS?!?! When I was your age we didn't have skills! All we could do was fight! And we were THANKFUL, dammit!!!

:D

Fight? You could fight!? Why, in MY day we never had a chance to fight! In my day there were twelve-foot giants runnin' around, and they stomped us into the ground with jack-boots with cleats in 'em, and all we could do was spray 'em with our own blood and hope that they picked up one of the diseases from the puss and gangrene that infested our open putrid sores!

AND WE LIKED IT!

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

On the subject of birthdays, and apropos of nothing, when looking to see how pathetically aged you all are, I noticed that tsejui and Geoff Speare were both born on December 31, 1969. I find that to be freakishly coincidental and highly unlikely. Therefore, I am going to assume that they are the same person.

You should note that a lot of people have that as their birthday. Something probably to do with the date field not wanting to deal with negative numbers is my guess. Though, the birthday is still noted correctly when it comes up.

Originally posted by lemming

You should note that a lot of people have that as their birthday. Something probably to do with the date field not wanting to deal with negative numbers is my guess. Though, the birthday is still noted correctly when it comes up.

Or...more likely they are all really the same person, obviously.

Duplication and Multiform are both much cheaper in 5th, so its obviously either 1 person with many forms or 1 form with many bodies.

We are not the same people. I am not me nor is he him. We are absolutely two distinct individuals, no matter whay the shrinks say. What do they know anyway.

FWIW... i think the notion that my age is significant to be somehow factored into unacceptable negative numbers is more perturbing to me than the thought that someone has discovered our secret.

Its kind of how all those "born in BC" guys must have felt when the younger "AD" crowd looked at them as geezers...

"Man you are sooo old they report your age in a negative number!!!"

I would make a Logan's Run reference but... the irony is that we are approaching or have passed the point where anyone who saw and remembers Logan's run is probably past 30 years old.

sigh...