How about this sci-fi battle..

Badger

Re: How about this sci-fi battle..

I think I'd rather fight a Reaver than go see AvP, but that's the only Predator movie I haven't seen (the second was AWFUL). But my understanding is that we've only seen Predators who were out on what seem to be ritualistic hunts. Have we yet seen what Predator marines would be like?

I think I'd rather fight a Reaver than go see AvP' date=' but that's the only Predator movie I haven't seen (the second was AWFUL). But my understanding is that we've only seen Predators who were out on what seem to be ritualistic hunts. Have we yet seen what Predator [i']marines[/i] would be like?

Find me a drill sergeant who can put one through basic, and we'll see!

I think I'd rather fight a Reaver than go see AvP' date=' but that's the only Predator movie I haven't seen (the second was AWFUL). But my understanding is that we've only seen Predators who were out on what seem to be ritualistic hunts. Have we yet seen what Predator [i']marines[/i] would be like?

That is an interesting thought. Are they only "WARRIORS" or do they have "SOLDIERS" ???

Now THAT would be an interesting encounter for the Mobile Infantry...

At the risk of dating myself...

The REAL Saberhagan Berserkers (not those cheesy Borg) versus any incarnation of Enterprise

:)

Or Battlestar Galactica versus Imperial Starships

Galactica loses. An Imperial Star Destroyer is something like 1,000-1,600 meters long with a crew of 25,000 and plenty of tie fighters.

Firefly vs Millenium Falcon

Serenity loses. The Falcon is better armored, shielded faster, and is armed. The Serenity has none of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Galactica loses. An Imperial Star Destroyer is something like 1' date='000-1,600 meters long with a crew of 25,000 and plenty of tie fighters.[/quote']

Are we talkin 1970's BSG or new SCiFi series BSG?

Either way, I agree, you gotta figure scale wise, the Star Destroyers are at least 3 or more times the size of the Galactica, with potentially 10x the Tie fighters.

I disagree -

The new BSG is not packed full of airfuel and explosives. Star Destroyers still are (but not as much as Starwarsian fighters).

Plus, new BSG uses nukes, and Star Destroyers only have energy beams.

In fact, in the Starwars universe, atomic fission is never used as a weapons (that I know of) and the ships appear to be completely unprepared for them - ie an "Ion Cannon" screws up their electrics - which tells me they have no EMP shielding.

One nuke, it doesn't matter the size of the Starwarsian ship - even the Deathstar would be crippled. They relied on energy fields for protection, not armour. The Deathstar itself was more like a hollow ball than a solid moon. The compression from the shockwave would be very devastating, and I doubt they would have internal radiation shielding.

I disagree, in the EU lots of ships, like star destroyers and Mon Cal cruisers have heavy armor. Also a nuke sounds alot like proton torpedos to me, in so far that they are lots and lots of distructive energy. That would say to me that conventional energy shields work against it.

Plus they said "starships" meaning plural...

In the Jedi Alien battle, it's a tough call, but i'm gonna eventually come down to the fact that the jedi possess the ability and foresight to nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to make sure.