How about this sci-fi battle..

Badger

Me wonders if I have thunk up a doozy of a delightfully vicious fight. So I present to you all

The Predators vs. The Reavers.

The Predators from the Predator series. Basically, live for the hunt.

And the Reavers from Firefly. Crazed, vicious humans living on the edge of the 'verse. The only one we saw was a "raw recruit" and he seemed vicious enough.

So, well discuss.

Re: How about this sci-fi battle..

IMO? Predators win. They're stronger, tougher, smarter, and have far better tech. Reavers are crazy and have certain level of cunning, and are fearless -- but still die when shot and can't see invisible foes.

That said, it will be an ugly fight. Reavers do seem to be very good at sneaking around.

Jedi.

Predators have one advantage -- invisibility and that's it. Jedi have equal or better tech, can deflect blaster shots, and might be able to sense invisible foes. Predators (on the average) might be stronger, but Jedi are just as fast and even more agile.

Probably, however, look at what Grevious was able to do.

With Predators being such supreme hunters, they probably would employ captured lightsabers--if they could get any--although the would still be at a disadvantage in a fight.

These two could probably go a few rounds before a clear winner--Jedi--would emerge.

However - Predators are cool, and Jedi are dorks. So while the Jedi may win and look cool doing it, they will immediately start whining and angsting about it such that we have no empathy for them.

If the Predators were to win (which is unlikely), they would take trophies of the Jedi skulls, and have a ritual party. Possibly with some scarring or face-painting involved. Which is also quite cool. This is my preferred outcome, as an inanimate dead Jedi part possesses more pathos than a whole live Jedi.

Predators over Reavers.

Jedi over Predators.

Now, discounting AVP, which was a terrible, terrible movie, even worse than Alien Ressurection, and, in my opinion, an abomination, and a symptoms of what has happened to sci-fi movies (used to be thoughtful, now are just pasted together, ill-concieved, story and character-less globs of special effects and explosions).

Aliens versus Jedi---but on Coruscant, with plenty of places to hide.

Sure, cut the Alien in two, but your precious Jedi hide is burnt to a crisp...

Now THAT's a fight...

Predator vs Reaver - No contest. Predators have the tech, the hunting prowess, the strength and the ferocity to simply wipe the walls with Reavers.

Predator vs Jedi - Jedi win this simply because of their ability to know what an opponent is able to do before they do it. This is what really allows them to block blaster bolts. Add to that increased Dex by using the Force and the Predator loses most all of its advantages.

Now what would be really scary (and absolutely no reason why it couldn't happen) would be a Force-using Predator.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe has shown us that most any alien race (save the Yuzahn-Vong) can potentially be Force-users. Why would the Predators be any different?

Jedi Predator anyone?????

Predator vs Reaver - No contest. Predators have the tech, the hunting prowess, the strength and the ferocity to simply wipe the walls with Reavers.

Predator vs Jedi - Jedi win this simply because of their ability to know what an opponent is able to do before they do it. This is what really allows them to block blaster bolts. Add to that increased Dex by using the Force and the Predator loses most all of its advantages.

Now what would be really scary (and absolutely no reason why it couldn't happen) would be a Force-using Predator.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe has shown us that most any alien race (save the Yuzahn-Vong) can potentially be Force-users. Why would the Predators be any different?

Don't Lightsabers cauterize the wounds?

those Jedi are prepared for Aliens!

Ummm, on Coruscant?!?... Boy, there sure are a lot of them! :D

:D

According to Aliens EU (Earth Hive if I remember correctly), you can't cauterize the 'veins' on an alien. There is no clotting mechanism. They have compartmental circulation and if they get wounded they bleed out all the acid in that compartment but retain all the fluids in the other undamaged regions.

:joint:

but back to preds vs. reavers... I like to think that there are hordes of reavers. Space is big and there would have to be a lot of them to intercept one by accident when you are purposefully trying to stay out of the space lanes. (yea I know they are a frontier phenomena, but even still the odds are astronomical unless they really become numerous on the frontier)

So I am imagining a zulu vs. british empire type encounter. low tech, massive numbers vs. high tech low numbers. You could have a real fight on your hands. And the Reavers would never look at that mountain of bodies it took to kill one predator and think, 'This isn't worth it.'...

So just add a slight twist of your own and it becomes a much more challenging fight. ;)

I'm an alienophile myself :)

I'm not sure about Alien EU, but in the original Alien movie, the acid is not in the veins at all, but is a defence mechanism kept under high pressure between two layers of skin (epidermi). I can understand later movies simplifying this to "acid for blood" because the knowledge was always hearsay from Ripley, and no one survived encounters with them (at least not for long, and never with scientific information).

We should also remember that Aliens attack with more than just hands and mouth, they have a tail as well. And with their fanatical abilitiy to ignore pain and attack suicidally, a single Jedi would have difficult against a single Alien - unless they got in an immediate killing blow. Dismemberment wouldn't kill an Alien - just annoy it.

:D

but back to preds vs. reavers... I like to think that there are hordes of reavers. Space is big and there would have to be a lot of them to intercept one by accident when you are purposefully trying to stay out of the space lanes. (yea I know they are a frontier phenomena, but even still the odds are astronomical unless they really become numerous on the frontier)

So I am imagining a zulu vs. british empire type encounter. low tech, massive numbers vs. high tech low numbers. You could have a real fight on your hands. And the Reavers would never look at that mountain of bodies it took to kill one predator and think, 'This isn't worth it.'...

So just add a slight twist of your own and it becomes a much more challenging fight. ;)

Predators seem to have no problems with large packs of Aliens so I doubt the Reavers (even en mass) would be much of a challenge for Predators. Aliens are much nastier than Reavers.

Reavers are scary in a sense of what they do to people after they capture them.

No, that's only partially why Reavers are scary.

The main reason Reavers are scary is because we never see them, and they didn't turn out to be guys in rubber suits (or these days, animated pixels).

This can be summed up by a comment my father made on a movie based on a book-

"The book was better, it had better pictures".

Imagination always exceeds what anyone can actually do :)

Actually I have to admit when I started this my thought was on the zulu v. British angle.

Predator vs Jedi? Jedi wins (unfortunately) but it'll be tough to do it.

Hmm. How about Predator vs. Ewok? (you guys brought in Star Wars. :winkgrin: ). Ok, I just would like to see some Predators viciously dismember some Ewoks. :angel:

Hmm. Predator vs. Jedi vs. Reavers vs. Ewoks vs. Aliens vs. Zombies vs. Sauron (battle royale, baby)

Note: I had very little sleep last night, so this last idea may be the result that I am teetering on the edge of sanity.

Hmm. Predator vs. Jedi vs. Reavers vs. Ewoks vs. Aliens vs. Zombies vs. Sauron (battle royale, baby)

Isn't that the title of the latest Street Fighter game?

If you have read the comics or played any of the video games, we see the Predators purposely limit themselves in what they use as sort of a "right of passage".

Examples:

PREDATOR: Predator takes out Jesse Ventura with the Plasma Thrower as Jesse has a big ass gun. He takes out Hawkins (glasses) and others with his wrist blades as the have small calibre weapons or knives (Billy tried with a knife). Now this was an experienced Predator out on a solo hunting trip.

PREDATOR 2: Less experienced Predator out with a hunting group and more dependent on his gadgets. He used the netgun, spear, dart-gun and disc to dispatch foes.

Predator comics: When dealing with Aliens, they are usually much better armed and armored. They wear their own version of plate mail and have hand -held as well as shoulder mounted version of the Plasma caster. The have longer bladed weapons to keep them at a distance from Aliens.

Hmm. Predator vs. Jedi vs. Reavers vs. Ewoks vs. Aliens vs. Zombies vs. Sauron (battle royale' date=' baby)[/quote']

You for got the ninja, pirates, and monkeys with shotguns.

It was 2:30 am and I had 3 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. You forget things.

Though maybe I should have gone with the Borg instead of Sauron. Keep it sci-fi you know. Also could have gone with the gorillas from Planet of Apes (the one with Heston not Burton, the remake sucked)

I'm an alienophile myself :)

I'm not sure about Alien EU, but in the original Alien movie, the acid is not in the veins at all, but is a defence mechanism kept under high pressure between two layers of skin (epidermi). I can understand later movies simplifying this to "acid for blood" because the knowledge was always hearsay from Ripley, and no one survived encounters with them (at least not for long, and never with scientific information).

We should also remember that Aliens attack with more than just hands and mouth, they have a tail as well. And with their fanatical abilitiy to ignore pain and attack suicidally, a single Jedi would have difficult against a single Alien - unless they got in an immediate killing blow. Dismemberment wouldn't kill an Alien - just annoy it.

Yea the books are even billed as being alternate scenarios from the movies. In the books all three of the last crewmen (and cat) of the Nostromo survive and not just Ripley (and cat). It's an entirely different story, where the aliens infest earth, etc. etc. Not all that well written. Not horrible, mind you... just not that great.

Predators seem to have no problems with large packs of Aliens so I doubt the Reavers (even en mass) would be much of a challenge for Predators. Aliens are much nastier than Reavers.

True enough, but when I played the game AvP I took out hordes of predators as a human and hordes of preds as an alien (and hordes of both as a predator) But according to at least one canonical reference one middle aged almost retired human policemen who was already wounded took out a predator in single H2H combat. So they can't be all that tough ;)

In the last movie they are the focus and end up almost as unkillable as a pre-cat superman. It depends on what version of the predator you reference.

Yea the books are even billed as being alternate scenarios from the movies. In the books all three of the last crewmen (and cat) of the Nostromo survive and not just Ripley (and cat). It's an entirely different story, where the aliens infest earth, etc. etc. Not all that well written. Not horrible, mind you... just not that great.

True enough, but when I played the game AvP I took out hordes of predators as a human and hordes of preds as an alien (and hordes of both as a predator) But according to at least one canonical reference one middle aged almost retired human policemen who was already wounded took out a predator in single H2H combat. So they can't be all that tough ;)

In the last movie they are the focus and end up almost as unkillable as a pre-cat superman. It depends on what version of the predator you reference.

Age and treachery will often win out over youth and Skill. :)

Surprise can turn the tables on even the more powerful foes.

Certain things have to be changed for a game and specifically did not mention the game for that reason. As far as Predator 2 is concerned, you had a rookie hunter who was taken out when he got too cocky and made a fatal mistake. He was playing with Det. Harrigan and got burnt. Harrigan just outsmarted a young, inexperienced hunter.

Certain things have to be changed for a game and specifically did not mention the game for that reason. As far as Predator 2 is concerned' date=' you had a rookie hunter who was taken out when he got too cocky and made a fatal mistake. He was playing with Det. Harrigan and got burnt. Harrigan just outsmarted a young, inexperienced hunter.[/quote']

So by your own admission, not all of them are veterans that can take down millions upon millions of foes, and they have a tendency to get overconfident.

Sounds like grounds for a rude awakening in the form of an reaver underdog upset ;)

heh heh...