How to: Pointing Out The Flaw

CrosshairCollie

In the comics, sometimes a big-brain sort will analyze a structure or foe, and tell another character to strike it 'just so', causing extra damage.

Now, this kinda screams Find Weakness, but the defense-halving of Find Weakness isn't transferable. So, how do you do this particular trick?

Find Weakness, useable by others?

A defense drain? Attack aid?

Re: How to: Pointing Out The Flaw

Now, this kinda screams Find Weakness, but the defense-halving of Find Weakness isn't transferable. So, how do you do this particular trick?

Find Weakness, useable by others?

A defense drain? Attack aid?

An Area affect Aid, perhaps requiring extra time, maybe even a cordination/tactics/teamwork roll, the aid has a limitation for only being versus the one targeted structure, after which it goes away, and only usable on those that can understand the one giving the instructions.

I would pick an option that seems reasonably balanced and doesn't eat up too many lines on the page to make the point.

naked advantage armor piercing usable by others requires skill roll incantation

find weakness usable by others incantation

skill levels usable by others requires analyze combat roll incantation

I try to avoid aids if at all possible.

If you go with Find Weakness, Usable By Others, don't forget to add in Ranged, along with Incantations and Sense Also Affected As Hearing Group.

It gets expensive, though, since you generally want the With All Attacks option, and Usable Simultaneously too (maybe with extra people who can use it).

the FW is a possibility--just after a long ago experience with FW usable by others in a group, I've been terribly gun shy about ever allowing it again.

but if designated only usable against structures, vehicles, and the like, it would be less abusable.

We've got a character like this in our group, The Link (as in "you're the weakest link!"), though the player drives me crazy because she never uses her powers to anywhere near best effect.

She's got FW usable by others, which covers directly hurting someone;

She's also got Analyze skill, to give her an idea about what their tactics and powers are;

She's got Tactics skill as well, so she can tell what the bad guys are about to do.

(She also has an EGO Drain and an EGO-based SPD drain to represent her cutting insult abilities, but that's not directly relevant.)

I think that setup covers most of what you're talking about. You can also throw in some kind of limited Clairvoyance/Danger Sense/Missile Deflection to really predict the opponent's moves, and maybe even an odd Discriminating N-Ray vision to allow for in-depth analysis of structural aspects.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm good with specific skills - Architecture for a building, Physics maybe, etc. as far as inanimate objects go. Possibly a specialty skill for some types of opponents (e.g., a dimensional mystic knowledge might shed light on "man from Dimension 73"), but I haven't really done that as far as I can remember.