The Algernon Files come to Hero!!!

MitchellS

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Algernon Files come to Hero!!!

1. The Parliament of Shadows will be detailed in Critical Security Update #1, due out by the end of the year. They're not anything I'd compare to DEMON actually -- different critters entirely, except for some M.O. issues. [incidentally, DEMON has been my favorite read of any of the HERO5 books thus far. Kudos to the writer.]

2. Frau Doktor Veronika Von Frankenstein is detailed in Fires of War: TAF2, as is Castle Von Frankenstein (3 pages of maps) and her Schocktruppen reanimants. On a side note, Adam (the original Frankenstein reanimant) appears as The Patchwork Man, a member of the Fearless Five. :sneaky:

3. If it's occult stuff you like, you'll find plenty in all of our books. Cagliostro, Gunslinger (of the spectral sixguns), Blut und Eisen (a vampire and his iron golem "familiar"), Doktor Thule, The Kage Do, The Alchemist, Dr. Diablo, and others are all to be found in the pages of Fires of War. The Covenant, Sepulchre, and others were already in TAF 1.0, but New to our 2ed version of TAF, you'll find:

Dr. Rune, once one of Earth's mightiest arcane defenders in the 60s. Drafted from the bottom of the whiskey bottle he's been drowning in since his last cataclysmic battle with Shard and the rest of The Seven Sins, a battle that cost the lives of both Rune's true love and his trusted partner, the old man is walking a trying path to redeem himself.

Guardian Angel -- amnesiac, last in a long line of "chosen ones" defending mankind against the forces of darkness, being trained by the still-extant St. George (first of the line, who hates her and the decadent society he sees her as representing) to take down her predecessor - who fell from grace and under the name Sammael (one of the Archdemons of Corruption) has, as a crime lord, moved into the power vacuum his battles had created among the supernatural underworld.

and

The House That Hate Built, a sentient "haunted house" that moves through space and time in its quest for victims.

Hope you guys enjoy. :)

1. The Parliament of Shadows will be detailed in Critical Security Update #1' date=' due out by the end of the year. They're not anything I'd compare to DEMON actually -- different critters entirely, except for some M.O. issues. [incidentally, DEMON has been my favorite read of any of the HERO5 books thus far. Kudos to the writer.']

2. Frau Doktor Veronika Von Frankenstein is detailed in Fires of War: TAF2, as is Castle Von Frankenstein (3 pages of maps) and her Schocktruppen reanimants. On a side note, Adam (the original Frankenstein reanimant) appears as The Patchwork Man, a member of the Fearless Five. :sneaky:

3. If it's occult stuff you like, you'll find plenty in all of our books. Cagliostro, Gunslinger (of the spectral sixguns), Blut und Eisen (a vampire and his iron golem "familiar"), Doktor Thule, The Kage Do, The Alchemist, Dr. Diablo, and others are all to be found in the pages of Fires of War. The Covenant, Sepulchre, and others were already in TAF 1.0, but New to our 2ed version of TAF, you'll find:

Dr. Rune, once one of Earth's mightiest arcane defenders in the 60s. Drafted from the bottom of the whiskey bottle he's been drowning in since his last cataclysmic battle with Shard and the rest of The Seven Sins, a battle that cost the lives of both Rune's true love and his trusted partner, the old man is walking a trying path to redeem himself.

Guardian Angel -- amnesiac, last in a long line of "chosen ones" defending mankind against the forces of darkness, being trained by the still-extant St. George (first of the line, who hates her and the decadent society he sees her as representing) to take down her predecessor - who fell from grace and under the name Sammael (one of the Archdemons of Corruption) has, as a crime lord, moved into the power vacuum his battles had created among the supernatural underworld.

and

The House That Hate Built, a sentient "haunted house" that moves through space and time in its quest for victims.

Hope you guys enjoy. :)

Well I'll definetly be buying any HERO books these guys put out, they're stuff sounds simply awesome. Not that the regular HERO books aren't awesome, they are [though DEMON was far to creepy for me to actually enjoy, the author of it should try his hand at writing horror novels] but I'm simply loving some of the concepts I'm seeing here.

Ok I'm loving ALL of the concepts I'm seeing here, I'd start a campaign just to use them in it [altered to fit with the Champions setting] and I'm not even particularly fond of GMing.

Well I'll definetly be buying any HERO books these guys put out' date=' they're stuff sounds simply awesome. Not that the regular HERO books aren't awesome, they are [though DEMON was far to creepy for me to actually enjoy, the author of it should try his hand at writing horror novels'] but I'm simply loving some of the concepts I'm seeing here.

Ok I'm loving ALL of the concepts I'm seeing here, I'd start a campaign just to use them in it [altered to fit with the Champions setting] and I'm not even particularly fond of GMing.

I'm currently using around 20 of the TAF characters [converted myself] in my new campaign. That's a very high percentage considering I'm only using about the same number from CKC. Good stuff in there. I think you'll find many characters to enjoy.

One other note' date=' you may try posing your questions straight to them, over on their message boards. http://www.blackwyrm.com/forum/ That way your not getting your info second hand.[/quote']

I'd love to ... if I could access the boards there. For some reason it always gets stuck on the terms page and won't let me agree without bouncing me back ...

I'm currently using around 20 of the TAF characters [converted myself] in my new campaign. That's a very high percentage considering I'm only using about the same number from CKC. Good stuff in there. I think you'll find many characters to enjoy.

I can see why, just from what I've read in this thread about them it looks like some brilliant stuff. What I've seen so far has me practically drooling in anticipation for the two Algernon Files books and I hope there's going to be a HERO version of Critical Security Update #1 as well.

I can see why' date=' just from what I've read in this thread about them it looks like some brilliant stuff. What I've seen so far has me practically drooling in anticipation for the two Algernon Files books and I hope there's going to be a HERO version of Critical Security Update #1 as well.[/quote']

Yep. They plan on dual publishing all of their future Algernon Files material.

I'd love to ... if I could access the boards there. For some reason it always gets stuck on the terms page and won't let me agree without bouncing me back ...

That's strange, it seems to be working for me. Try it one last time and if it still won't work, email them about the problem.

Have I mentioned I can't wait for these books to come out?

Just looking over the stuff for Fires of War alone makes me shiver in anticipation. Considering that the stuff in Pulp Hero is undoubtedly as good as this and the stuff we already know about the Champions Universe Pulp/Golden Age era one could cobble together an awesomely fun campaign just from that.

For those of you that are interested' date=' Dave Mattingly has posted info on obtaining full color copies both volumes of TAF, and the upcoming Critical Security Update, over on the Blackwyrm website. It's in the forums section (http://www.blackwyrmgames.com/forums).[/quote']

Looks interesting. I'm not sure I want to pay $60.00 for a 250 page book [i assume less for the Critical Security Update as it's less pages]. Whether I'd pay that price would entirely depend upon the quality of the character write ups in the book [as well as the quality of the paper and binding]. I would have paid $60.00 for a full-color copy of CKC.

Dave, are the maps in the books going to be redone with hex grids for Hero or just left as square grids? That too will affect my decision to buy.

Cool. Looks like a real HERO character rather than something that was run through a quick and dirty conversion matrix (like the characters in Omlevex - great supplement, bad HERO writeups).

Kudos.

I did note that the public information box still had the M&M DCs - just wondering if that is going to change, or if those numbers will represent something else that applies to HERO skills rolls, when the book comes out.

I did note that the public information box still had the M&M DCs - just wondering if that is going to change' date=' or if those numbers will represent something else that applies to HERO skills rolls, when the book comes out.[/quote']

You may want to drop them a note about it over on thier message boards.

Cool. Looks like a real HERO character rather than something that was run through a quick and dirty conversion matrix (like the characters in Omlevex - great supplement, bad HERO writeups).

Glad you noticed.

Dave basically takes my description as the base, uses the M&M write-up as a guide, and then just makes a HERO character from the mix. No actual "conversion matrix" as such (and anyone running numbers on the two write-ups in hopes of compiling such a beast is going to get some wonky results, natch.)

I did note that the public information box still had the M&M DCs - just wondering if that is going to change, or if those numbers will represent something else that applies to HERO skills rolls, when the book comes out.

When I pointed this out to Dave earlier, his response was a resounding and Homeresque "Doh!" ...followed by a promise to put in the proper chart tonight. :whistle:

Glad you noticed.

Yeah. I work at a game/comic shop, one that doesn't do much RPGs, but because I am there, HERO is a presence, and one of my custormer (also in my game group), read over the writups in Omlevex and well the look on his face was not unlike someone who had swallowed something that disagreed with him.

I told him, that in the case of AF (I had lent him the M&M version) the guy doing the HERO writeups was the editor of Digital HERO he responded with "Oh, that's okay then." :)

I had converted a number of characters over (basically doing a rebuild based on description, and what little I know of M&M) , it will be interesting to see how close my version matches the publshied one.

I had done Alice Queen of Hearts and Red Pheonix long before Reality Storm came out, and my Alice interpertation was vastly different, but my Red Pheonix matche the published one by about 90%. I love seeing different interpertations of converted characters. :nonp:

Looks interesting. I'm not sure I want to pay $60.00 for a 250 page book [i assume less for the Critical Security Update as it's less pages]. Whether I'd pay that price would entirely depend upon the quality of the character write ups in the book [as well as the quality of the paper and binding]. I would have paid $60.00 for a full-color copy of CKC.

Dave, are the maps in the books going to be redone with hex grids for Hero or just left as square grids? That too will affect my decision to buy.

Where do you get $60.00 from? When I looked through the information on the site the only prices listed were around $25.00.

Where do you get $60.00 from? When I looked through the information on the site the only prices listed were around $25.00.

The Hero books are listed as $29.95 for 256 pages. Dave stated a full-color version would cost double, thus my $60.00 figure.

So don't order a full colour version. Just order the standard' date=' no biggy.[/quote']

It wasn't a biggie. I was replying to Dominque's full-color post. I was just making a point that I don't know if I want to buy the full-color version or not. I probably will. I'm weak that way. :)

It wasn't a biggie. I was replying to Dominque's full-color post. I was just making a point that I don't know if I want to buy the full-color version or not. I probably will. I'm weak that way. :)

Ok, my bad for misunderstanding what you were saying. :)