newbie - thinkin of getting these rules

Re: newbie - thinkin of getting these rules

Law & Order - TV Tome

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-180/Law__Order/

Check out the Episode Guide and Episode List for Ideas.

Crime/Legal Drama Role Playing hmmm... Heavy on the Role Playing. Light on the Game Mechanics and lots of available experts (Read "NPC's")

This is probably the toughest Genre. Sometimes players couldn't find a clue if it was stapled to your forehead. Other times they make leap of logics that destroy the GM's Plot.

Good Gaming

QM

I can assure you that HERO is not really that hard to learn, in dact I picked up the 4th Edition, read it, made a few practice characters and then ran my own campaign for three years, straight. I love HERO and its the only system for me!

first off' date=' this is mainly for my wife and I - i talked to her last night and she said the rpging sounds interesting and that she is into crime solving, court room drama, etc - were both into law and order[/quote']

How about some Deduction Super Skills!

Cost Power END
15 Amazing Insight: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Discriminatory (45 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Requires A Deduction Roll (-1/2) 4
1 CSI: Detect Perpetrator A Class Of Things 13- (Unusual Group) (7 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Requires A Forensic Medicine Roll (-1/2), Limited Power Requires clues (-1/4) 0
15 Nothing Slips By: +5 PER with all Sense Groups 0
15 Psychological Profile: Telepathy 8d6, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, -1 1/2), Receive Only (-1/2), Requires A Criminology, Deduction or SS Psychology Roll (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Limited Power Requires information about target (-1/4) 6

Personally, I had left the Hero System behind 10 years ago. I went Vampire: The Masquerade and 7th Sea for my gaming fix.

The reason I left HERO System behind was not because I didn't love playing it...it was because of some personal issues with people that I had been playing with. The hurt ran far too deep, and I got rid of ALL of my HERO Games materialsm because it was a very painful reminder of how I had been badly burned by people I had thought were my friends.

One friend, who goes by the name on the HERO Boards as TheImperialKhan never gave up on me...He's been a true friend, in every sense of the word. He has gotten me to look at the HERO System again, from a more objective standpoint. I bought HERO System 5th Edition Revised, as well as the Champions genre book and HERO Designer v.2.

The great thing that HERO System has going for it...flexibility!!! That's it's greatest selling point. That is not to say that other game systems are not well done also. By far though...HERO System has the best mechanics out there in the RPG market.

The HERO System has also had a great impact on how many of the "newer systems" are designed as well.

Before the HERO System, RPGs always had you use dice to determine your characters abilities and statistics. The HERO System lets you determine that for yourself...and not have to suffer because you rolled poorly, while your buddy rolled tremendously.

Although the HERO System 5th Edition Revised is an extremely large tome, the game system itself is not all that difficult to teach to players. If they have some form of "higher level brain activity" going on in that head of theirs...they should have now problem learning. Anyone CAN learn, but you can't force someone to learn.

It's like the old cliche', "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

Try to introduce her to the world of RPGs using the HERO System 5th Edition Revised, or perhaps even HERO Sidekick as Shadowpup suggested. Invest some time, and then let her make the decision as to whether she wants to participate.

"You can lead people to RPGs...but you can't make them play."

Im amazed nobodys recommended "Fantasy Hero". I had the older version, and when I got a look at the new, 5th edition version I -had- to get it.

That book is a -treasure trove- of great advice and idea starters for setting up and running a fantasy game. If youre going to run a Narnia based campaign, I cant recommend Fantasy Hero strongly enough :)

wow, thanks to all who responded and thanks for all those great links

first off, this is mainly for my wife and I - i talked to her last night and she said the rpging sounds interesting and that she is into crime solving, court room drama, etc - were both into law and order

anyway i went and took the big plunge and bought the 5er big book - since i figured if i buy the sidekick then i would probably just want the big book anywho and then id have more money in it that if i just would've bought the big book to begin with and that why i did

i will be the gm and my wife the player/adventurer - ill start off with something real simple and go from there

thanks again.

Best of luck, hope to see you back here, let us know how it goes!