your thoughts on size

Onyxclaw

Re: your thoughts on size

hmm, or I can just give my character stats to simulate how big he is and chock the rest up to SFX. A little reach here, a little knockback resistance there, and a lovely character sheet saying how big he is and how much he weighs. I'm all about the fudging.

I like the idea, but I have so many large characters that implementing it will seriously hurt my brain. I'll try to make at least one character using your suggestion to see if it works alright. Maybe I'll post him too.

hmm, or I can just give my character stats to simulate how big he is and chock the rest up to SFX. A little reach here, a little knockback resistance there, and a lovely character sheet saying how big he is and how much he weighs. I'm all about the fudging.

That's more or less what I've done, except that you get a small Limitation for increasing your mass, and you can buy Scale to double your size.

I like the idea, but I have so many large characters that implementing it will seriously hurt my brain. I'll try to make at least one character using your suggestion to see if it works alright. Maybe I'll post him too.

Cool! I look forward to seeing it on a character sheet.

For 60 points you can have half damage resistance to physical and energy attacks' date=' which effectively doubles your STUN and BODY against these attacks.Assuming you have (say) 50 STR, 20 CON and 15 BODY you get , in effect, +50 STUN and +15 BODY (80 cps worth). Quite an appropriate way to model a large creature's resistance to damage, is damage resistance, without making the damn thing invulnerable.[/quote']

I think you mean Damage Reduction Sean. :)

Also, since he is a Shadow Dragon, if he had to he *could* become incoporeal for a short time to avoid the attacks, though of course it would be discribed much more dramatic than that. But I want to avoid the players from feeling cheesed if they relly want to hit him, so this will only happen once in a blue moon. He has a Massive Con, so stunning him will be difficult.

It is perfectly legal to Abort to Desolid.

I figured it was a good catch if he got in over his head, which he shouldn't but I suppose is posible. As a shadow ketera (dragon essentially) he can become incoporeal and pass "through/over objects" the special effect is that he becomes a shadow with an inderterminate light source, so he can't pass through walls, but he can wrap around them in 2 demensions. If you were to attack him it would look like your fist had a cast shadow draped over it that resembles the one cast by his actual body...

I thought it was a nice effect

how about player limitations on damage, abilities, etc? when do those get built?

::bug::

when I finish the big boys and decide how I want to put you in your places ;)

Actually I have most of that done now too. I'll let you know when I let everyone else know.

...though some of the characters people have already built may have to be retconned.

I am tending more and more to the opinion that Growth, Shrinking, and Density Increase should be eliminated as Powers completely. Instead, Characteristics, KB Resistance, Stretching, Movement Powers, CSLs, and SLs (for Concealment, Shadowing, and Stealth) should be bought as appropriate in a composite Power, with negatives of the others taken as a Side Effect to the whole thing (salt with a small amount of points for the actual physical inconveniences such as not being able to use furniture or reach the faucet). Add (Non-)Persistant, Inherent, Costs End/Reduced End Cost, Linked, etc. as appropriate.

I am sick of the discrepencies between Growth reach (exponential) and Stretching (linear). I am sick of the inadequacy of Physical Limitations for penalties to DCV and being perceived. I take exception to the system having a bias against changes in Movements. I am annoyed as anything at the choice of not using standard Modifiers for duration just because.

I can definately understand this one. After careful consideration I decided not to use the growth models provided here.

This is one of many large characters I have made. And unfortunately they generally do not fall under normal weight/size/etc ramifications. For example, if I were to use growth for Shade, he would weigh twice what he should. Being a "bird boned" character he should only have half the knockback resistance of something his size. He's also extremely dextrous and should not have OCV or DCV penalties nearly as high as is suggested. HE ACTUALLY CAN DODGE REALLY WELL! I simulated his size with extra strength, DR, streatching usable only as reach, penalty skill levels to stealth and concealment as a side effect on him for the size, extra movement, etc.

He does have a physical limitation that represents inconvenience, but it;s point value is dropped due to the fact that he can change shape to a smaller more humaoid creature.

It makes things easier for me if the size aspect isnt the main focus. Cause reasonabyl if the GM (me in this case) is thinking at all I'll know he can't hide someplace. It is rather frustrating.

I like playing non-humanoid characters...an well. I wish there was an easier way to do it.

I am tending more and more to the opinion that Growth, Shrinking, and Density Increase should be eliminated as Powers completely. Instead, Characteristics, KB Resistance, Stretching, Movement Powers, CSLs, and SLs (for Concealment, Shadowing, and Stealth) should be bought as appropriate in a composite Power, with negatives of the others taken as a Side Effect to the whole thing (salt with a small amount of points for the actual physical inconveniences such as not being able to use furniture or reach the faucet). Add (Non-)Persistant, Inherent, Costs End/Reduced End Cost, Linked, etc. as appropriate.

I am sick of the discrepencies between Growth reach (exponential) and Stretching (linear). I am sick of the inadequacy of Physical Limitations for penalties to DCV and being perceived. I take exception to the system having a bias against changes in Movements. I am annoyed as anything at the choice of not using standard Modifiers for duration just because.

Did I ever send you my document on another way of handling size?

If not, just email me at schir1964 @ netzero.com address.

- Christopher Mullins