Real Life Forcefield

Super Squirrel

It looks like NASA is getting into designing force fields to protect astronauts from cosmic radiation on the moon.

- or -

LS: Radiation, Area of Effect(4" Radius), Cost Endurance, IAF Immobile Focus, Only protects Radiation from Above

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/24jun_electrostatics.htm

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Real Life Forcefield

Thanks for posting that. I always get a kick out of science fiction gadgetry starting to be developed for use in the real world.

By the way, a caption on that page says: "Supernovas produce dangerous radiation."

Well... no s***, Sherlock. :rolleyes:

Hmm. That's almost as good as electromagnetic tank armor (for deflecting/defocussing the plasma jets produced by shaped charges). If you google for that phrase you can find a number of links mentioning it, but I can't find the original site I read a couple of years ago. The power requirements are considerable.

Hmm. That's almost as good as electromagnetic tank armor (for deflecting/defocussing the plasma jets produced by shaped charges). If you google for that phrase you can find a number of links mentioning it' date=' but I can't find the original site I read a couple of years ago. The power requirements are considerable.[/quote']

Yeah, iirc they use a HUGE capacitor set up so that the jet creates a circuit between two charged plates and the voltage flowing through the penetrating jet disrupts it.

great googly moogly!

There is speculation that high enough currents MIGHT even be able to degrade Kinetic energy penetrators.

It looks like cold plasma could be a basis for another entire technological boon. They mentioned medical uses, but you could see that same technology being used to protect food, the mail, improve filtration of water and air by zapping bacterias...and on and on.

This definitely will be useful for a campaign where using real science to make wonder applications that appear to be rubber science, but are actually doable.

Thanks austenandrews! :)

It looks like cold plasma could be a basis for another entire technological boon. They mentioned medical uses, but you could see that same technology being used to protect food, the mail, improve filtration of water and air by zapping bacterias...and on and on.

But imaging accidentally zapping every bactirum on Earth.

We'd die pretty quickly, but it would be rather ugly.

But imaging accidentally zapping every bactirum on Earth.

We'd die pretty quickly, but it would be rather ugly.

I'm not talking about the outside air. I'm talking about inside air. An end to Legionairre's Disease or protecting against an attack on an office building. Water would be the drinking water of a community. Also , it could help make things cleaner and less cumbersome when it comes to waste management.