War of the Worlds

Ranxerox

I just got back from seeing The War of the Worlds, and I think that it is destined to be a classic right up there with the 1953 version. Speilberg's experience making Saving Private Ryan get put to good use here in some scences of chaos and devastation that few other director could have composed. In addition to being visually strong, the movie has enough intellectual meat on it's bones to spark countless conversations about politics, morality and human destiny.

A few caveats though, while the movie does well with the big issues it often falls down when you apply logic to the small details (it is afterall a big budget, summer action film). Also I would recommend taking the PG-13 rating seriously - don't take small children. Personally I feel bad for star Dakota Fanning. My daughter is about her age and I would not take her to see this film much less let her play a lead role.

Re: War of the Worlds

I agree that it what a good movie. I give it a B.

However, I agree with Beast in that there are some MAJOR plot holes. For big picture it is good. However, looking at some small things you end up wondering that in the world is going on. An example is during one of the scenes major characters and extras are walking towards battles and explosion. Walking TOWARDS. Uhhhh yeah.

for me it was they have been here before and left their war machines herewhich would mean that they would have encountered our dieases before

and countered them

and they didn't take into account that some might mutate over time

you would think that some of the warmachines would have been found over the years being buried maybe 200 feet underground

the war machines being bio mechanical was cool and could have been the reason for the end of the dinosaurs

the alien hopes that an intelegent life form will dominate the planet and mine it's resources(mostly metals)making for easier pickens

of course we are now talking about a culture that is millions of years old

and they stagnate for that long

It could also have been a technology malfunction - their booster shots didn't survive transport ;-p

Reminds me of the depleted uranium debacle of recent years.

(BTW it was rated M here)

What disturbed me most about the film (having just seen it a second time this afternoon) is that the audience laughed inapriopiately at the exact same scene - the river scene. Gave me the irits.

Anyone looked up the trivia on what the writing was on the tripod near the cage?

Also, I like how they don't mention aliens or Martians or even heat rays.

No artilleryman or preacher, but it was combined in Tim Robbins' character in a believable way.

The running towards fighting would be very much in keeping with Robbie-type characters. At a certain point the Fight response takes over from the Flight response - could be lack of hope, could be sheep behaviour ("the folk with uniforms seem to be leader types), could be they just wanted to get back at the invaders. We are fairly territorial, after all.

I would have just had the invaders teleport down. If they're going to have huge electrical storms. Teleportation is a wonderfully magical technology that would really stress to the audience the gap in power levels.

Also - I wouldn't have them come straight down, but at a non-right angle. - just to imply it all came from the same source (seeing as the other cities quoted as being attacked were at different lattitudes).

it's ok so long as you don't pay any attention to the gapping plot holes

they need to play up what the red weed did

other than needing to be fertlized

The whole movie happens in about 2 and a half days of character time. What reason is there to think that the red weed would necessarily come into play during such a short time?

you would think that some of the warmachines would have been found over the years being buried maybe 200 feet underground

the war machines being bio mechanical was cool and could have been the reason for the end of the dinosaurs

the alien hopes that an intelegent life form will dominate the planet and mine it's resources(mostly metals)making for easier pickens

of course we are now talking about a culture that is millions of years old

and they stagnate for that long

Hmmm, the question of why we hadn't detected any of the warmachines through mining, drilling or geological surveys bothered me too. I don't recall the figure of 200 feet mentioned for their depth. Perhaps they were buried much deeper, like over a thousand feet. Still, you would think that we would have discovered atleast 1 of them. However the surface of the planet is very large and we have explored deep beneath it only in a scattering of places so maybe not.

Personally, I don't think the aliens were waiting on intelligent life to make taking over easier. The aliens seem more than capable of clearing their own space and making their own things. I'm more inclined to think that the aliens were making a preemptive strike against an emerging rival and the buried warmachines were just an act of considerable forsight. Alternatively, maybe the aleins realized a long time ago the the galaxy had a limited number of habitable planets, so they 'dibbed' them all early.

I thought it was a cool film in the Jurassic Park-style, summer popcorn vein. Just thoughtful enough to make you pay attention, but ultimately motivated by pure thrills. Spielberg still knows how to put terrific visuals onscreen, doesn't he? The tripods were fantastic.

I noticed no egregious plot holes. A couple of problems with minor details, easily blown off. Some odd behavior here and there, but nothing that can't be explained away. The "fertilizer" was a bit over-the-top, though.

I liked Cruise's dysfunctional family. They reminded me of Richard Dreyfuss's dysfunctional family in CE3K. They were both such incompetant fathers, which has its dark amusement value. The darkest moment of all, though, was Dakota Fanning singing the lullaby. I enjoyed that in a twisted way.

Spielberg uses his familiar bag of tricks, but his signatures are still very effective - playing with scale, the framing of spectacle, the use of music and silence, visually conveying details through commonplace images. Even the ending wasn't as cheesy as it's been made out. Good, fun flick.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was a cool film in the Jurassic Park-style' date=' summer popcorn vein.[/quote']I agree. I rarely enjoy or reccommend a movie almost exclusively based on special effects. Before WotW, Jurassic Park (or maybe the sequel) was probably the latest. I thought that there was plenty to dislike about this movie, but the visual and sound effects were impressive.

Finally saw it last night. I thought it was a fairly good effort. My only bugbear was the idea of the tripods being left here beforehand and not found. Though in one of the crowd scenes I thought someone mentioned about the Japanese finding one previously. Mind you that was along with Europe's not getting attacked, followed by Europe's getting the worst of it.

Did anyone else think the aliens looked a bit like those from Independance Day (in the head department anyway).

The purpose of the rumours was to show the breakdown of communication - not to give the audience information on what was happening in the rest of the world. That wasn't the point.

I find the logical paradox of these folk spreading rumours to be nicely representative of the hypocrisy that is the human condition :)

After all, there were enormous EMP blasts with every tripod movement.

Did anyone else think the aliens looked a bit like those from Independance Day (in the head department anyway).

I like to think they looked a bit like ET. Maybe the warrior breed from the same race?

Lousy stinkin' little spy scout ratbag.

Wombat?!?! Is that the same wombat from varies battletech sites?

Nah ..... never got into Battletech. The whole Mech thing just doesn't do it for me. The idea of something that big on a high tech battlefield leaves me thinking they might as well put a big neon sign on it saying 'SHOOT ME' cause everyone from ground level to orbit is going to see it anyway. :snicker: