Lands of Mystery

the Evil DM

Re: Lands of Mystery

First, just to be clear, SCUBA Hero's accidentally pointed you to Hidden Lands, a Champions supplement that has nothing to do with Pulp-era adventuring or Pulp Hero at all. You should buy a copy, 'cause it's cool, but not because it's a Pulp book. :hex:

On to the meat of the question. We'd certainly enjoy doing a new version of Lands Of Mystery as a subgenre book (or even sub-subgenre book, depending on how you want to slice it) for the Pulp Hero line. In fact, I've discussed just such a project with Aaron Allston in vague and noncommital terms. It's definitely a candidate for consideration for the 2007 schedule.

In the meantime, coming up next year is Thrilling Places, a book of fun and adventure-filled locations for your Pulp Hero games -- our version of Skull Island, lost cities in darkest Africa, trap-filled Central American ruins, all that sort of cool stuff. ;)

You should buy a copy' date=' 'cause it's cool, but not because it's a Pulp book. :hex:[/quote']

Nothing like an unbiased opinion, eh?

And of course Mr L. is quite right, because "Hidden Lands" actually is very cool, and full of bits you can pinch for pulp games as long as you tone down the superhero stuff and make some serious changes to the opposition. It's no substitute for "Lands of Mystery," though, nor was it intended to be. LoM is a favourite of mine and although it describes a fairly limited subgenre it does so wonderfully well. Keep an eye on eBay, because it crops up periodically.

On to the meat of the question. We'd certainly enjoy doing a new version of Lands Of Mystery as a subgenre book (or even sub-subgenre book' date=' depending on how you want to slice it) for the [i']Pulp Hero[/i] line. In fact, I've discussed just such a project with Aaron Allston in vague and noncommital terms. It's definitely a candidate for consideration for the 2007 schedule.

You do really that I now must purchase everything in the Pulp Hero line, possible multiples copies, to may that a reality.

You do really that I now must purchase everything in the Pulp Hero line, possible multiples copies, to may that a reality.

All part of our fiendish plan. :eg:

Seriously, though, strong sales of both a genre book and its supplements is, obviously, the best way to encourage us to do more books for that line. A strong-selling genre book by itself isn't enough (witness the SH line). In the case of PH, strong sales also have the effect of making us give more consideration to other "historicals," such as Victorian Hero or Western Hero. Historicals generally don't do real well in RPGs, and while strong sales of PH are no guarantee that another historical will do equally well, they're at least some evidence of interest.

It's a pity that we're unlikely to see a licensed HERO supplement, because if there's one match-made-in-heaven I'd love to get my hands on it would be Aaron Allston's "Doc Sidhe" for "Pulp HERO." Ah well, adapting it myself will fill the time now that the nights are slowly drawing in again.

Seriously, though, strong sales of both a genre book and its supplements is, obviously, the best way to encourage us to do more books for that line. A strong-selling genre book by itself isn't enough (witness the SH line). In the case of PH, strong sales also have the effect of making us give more consideration to other "historicals," such as Victorian Hero or Western Hero. Historicals generally don't do real well in RPGs, and while strong sales of PH are no guarantee that another historical will do equally well, they're at least some evidence of interest.

Not "World Domination" AGAIN ! Geez do these evil genius' (genii ?) NEVER learn ? Someone get James Bond or Indiana Jones or Doc Savage or Kim Possible, we got another "brilliant twisted mind bent on world domination" on our hands !

A new version of Lands Of Mystery would be great. The 'Lost World' setting is an excellent sub-genre within pulp.

It would also be wonderful to see the return of AA to write said supplement, but, if that falls through we are in excellent hands with Steve.

I own both Justice Inc and the supplement in question and am eagerley awaiting the new PH line. :whip:

Not "World Domination" AGAIN !

Hey, all I said was we have a fiendish plan. I didn't say it involved world domination. ;)

It would also be wonderful to see the return of AA to write said supplement, but, if that falls through we are in excellent hands with Steve.

Thanx! We always enjoy working with Aaron. It's just a question of finding time in his schedule and such -- he keeps pretty busy writing novels, which pays better than gaming stuff. So, we have to find some free time amidst his other projects, and a subject that intrigues him. ;) Even if I do end up having to write it myself, I'd basically start from what he's already written and embroider upon it. No sense re-inventing the wheel. :hex:

Even if I do end up having to write it myself, I'd basically start from what he's already written and embroider upon it. No sense re-inventing the wheel.

Yes, Lands Of Mystery really is one of "those" books along with Justice Inc in my opinion. It is a quality piece of work that would have been desirable for many years to come if PH wasn't imminent. I personally also think that every release for Hero 5th will also be sought after too, but then I am a raving fan boy who owns every release so far!

Afterthought: Just glancing the PH playtest manuscript Steve. That's a monster, have you got an estimated page count?

:dh: (Sorry I just had to see this smilie on a post as it is insane!)

He said in this week's editorial that it's bigger than Fantasy Hero which came in at a whopping 416 pages.

Yippee!!! All that pulpy goodness is only a month away. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

A month, eh? That should just give me enough time to rent a crane so I can lift the thing...

The exact PH page count depends a little on how Andy tightens up the appendix next week, but right now I'd say 425-430 pages, depending on signature breaks. I never expected it to be so big; I was thinking it would be on the order of SH or DC. But between the Timeline (which sucks up a lot of space relative to its word count) and the fact that the book essentially includes an entire setting in addition to the genre info, PH gets pretty hefty.

But hopefully the fans won't mind. ;)

LOL, [Pulp Announcers voice] Will "Pulp Hero" be subjected to the same stress tests as Hero System 5th Edition Revised! Will Steve Long reveal his true machine self. Will the Printers survive! Tune in next month for the futher adventures of "PULP HERO" and the futher adventures of "Justice Inc!"

Cheers

QM

The exact PH page count depends a little on how Andy tightens up the appendix next week, but right now I'd say 425-430 pages, depending on signature breaks. I never expected it to be so big; I was thinking it would be on the order of SH or DC. But between the Timeline (which sucks up a lot of space relative to its word count) and the fact that the book essentially includes an entire setting in addition to the genre info, PH gets pretty hefty.

Woo Hoo. Extra trimmings on the plate.

Well I for one won't ! The more stuff that is in the rules the less "outside" research I have to do, and the more time I can put into creating adventures. Sounds good to me !

The more stuff that is in the rules the less "outside" research I have to do, and the more time I can put into creating adventures.

Exactly. ;) We do all the heavy lifting so you don't have to (all you have to lift is the book, ha ha ha)! And hopefully a lot of the little details I've dug out and wedged into the book will inspire some of those adventures you'll be creating. They've definitely given me an idea or 27; I may just have to break down and run a campaign myself. ;)

Hmmm... if the narrow view historicals don't make the cut, how about a broader one. "Blackpowder Hero" Adventure from the Spanish Main to the Wild West to the Sudan. All in one volumn of crunchy goodness :D

Just a thought

Exactly. ;) We do all the heavy lifting so you don't have to (all you have to lift is the book' date=' ha ha ha)! And hopefully a lot of the little details I've dug out and wedged into the book will inspire some of those adventures you'll be creating. They've definitely given me an idea or 27; I may just have to break down and run a campaign myself. ;)[/quote']

If you do you KNOW that we folk here on the boards will want progress reports, don't you ?