Harry Potter Hero?

Re: Harry Potter Hero?

I was sure this topic was going to be discussed this week.

Can you remind me when the 6th volume was published ? ;-)

I sought a Hero System adaptation to Harry Potter novels several months ago, in vain. Moreover, there's nothing about Harry Potter in the Compilation of Fantasy Hero conversions/adaptations.

Sorry. :straight:

Thanks! I figured I couldn't be the first one to have thought of it.

The kid in question has already made it through and enjoyed both Hobbit and LoTR, but still has a fondness for the Potter books. Probably the same way I still love the John Carter of Mars books.

works for me' date=' i was thinking a summon with TK only to throw dementors away[/quote']

Yeah I think a summon is too complex for what the patronus does. If the patronus could actually do other things then a summon might be appropriate. For all we know, a patronus can do other things other than expell dementors but that hasn't been demonstrated in the books.

Although just using TK to expell the dementors could work to an extent. The problem is that we don't know how long the spell lasts; how long do the dementors stay away from the spell caster until they come back for more?

Yeah I think a summon is too complex for what the patronus does. If the patronus could actually do other things then a summon might be appropriate. For all we know' date=' a patronus can do other things other than expell dementors but that hasn't been demonstrated in the books.[/quote']

Tonks used one as a messenger in chapter 8 of the new book (pp 157-158).

Mind Control' date=' One Command Only: "Go Away", only vs. Dementors, Gestures, Incantations, OAF (Wand), Requires Magic Skill Roll, plus -X to Magic Skill Roll[/quote']

Wouldn't a Force Field (or a EB damage shield) with the above mentioned Power Modifiers work too? You could add some kind of area effect that gradually build up, so that the Dementors are pushed away.

In general, I think that for running a Harry Potter campaign, spells as skills would be prefered (like GURPS take on magic). Learning spells the normal Hero way requires to many character points (unless the GM is nice), so the amount of spells learned wouldn't feel like Harry Potter magic.

Buy broomstick as a vehicle, or as flight on a focus.

Magic as a multipower (or small VPP). Start with the obvious accessable focus (wand), incantation, and requires skill roll limitations. If the player chooses they can buy off these limitations with XP. (Sixth year students are encouraged to practice nonverbal spells, and both Harry and Tom did a few tricks before they got their first wands). Missed skill rolls should result in an unpredictable result or a harmless explosion. ("Neville needs another feather!")

Enchanted items shoud probably be designed by the GM, such as the cloak of invisibility and the marauders map. A player designing a character may reserve some points for an enchanted item, simular to a Mystery power.