Nethack Hero

Super Squirrel

Re: Nethack Hero

Sorry, I knew what you were asking and ended up derailing your thread. Here's a list of the Amulet of Yendor's powers:

* You get clairvoyance, if it is not blocked.

* When casting spells, your energy is drained.

* Hunger is increased (additional to normal amulet hunger).

* Your luck timeout is increased.

* Monster difficulty will depend on your deepest level reached, not

* your current dungeon level.

* Monsters are less likely to be generated asleep.

* When going up levels in Gehennom, you may teleport down 0 to 3 levels instead. The chance depends on your alignment:

UP L N C

+1 75.0% 75.0% 75.0%

0 6.25 8.33 12.5

-1 6.25 8.33 12.5

-2 6.25 8.33 0.0

-3 6.25 0.0 0.0

* You cannot level teleport.

* Teleportation within the level is blocked 1/3 of the time.

* The Wizard can teleport or level teleport to find you.

* The Wizard will try to steal the Amulet.

* You are permitted to enter the Plane of Earth by taking the upstairs, or quaffing a cursed potion of gain level, from dungeon level 1.

* You can activate the endgame portals.

* When worn or wielded, you get messages about the amulet getting "hotter" as you approach the magic portals. No message when putting on. Cannot be eaten. (Would you sacrifice yourself, then?)

To be honest that doesn't look too handy since most of those are bad. I've played Moria, Angband and Rogue and they're meant to be knock-offs of D&D. Many of the mechanics of the amulet are intrinsic to the game so it'd be tough to convert over. I'd probably use the Valdorian Age as a base then use a mana style magic system. Everybody gets a low point sidekick to start. How would you simulate the ability to use a hex editor to modify your guy's stats? :sneaky:

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't Nethack open source? I think it'd be cool to have the D&D ruleset replaced with Hero. I toyed around with it on a MUD a couple years ago.

I was thinking about this a while back.

I even started making notes about how to make HERO combat determanistic enough to be programmable.

I downloaded the source and looked at it. The kind of fundamental changes you'd need to make for it - I think it may be easier to write a new version from scratch than attempt to modify the current version.

Unless you scrap some of the defining parts of Hero combat - such as phases, combat maneuvers and skill levels that can be used multiple ways.

I downloaded the source and looked at it. The kind of fundamental changes you'd need to make for it - I think it may be easier to write a new version from scratch than attempt to modify the current version.

Unless you scrap some of the defining parts of Hero combat - such as phases, combat maneuvers and skill levels that can be used multiple ways.

I'd've thought that phases would be easy enough (cycle through "rounds" - segments - and work out who's got a phase). But the other stuff could be... interesting to implement. The main problem being the interface - how would you get the player to do those things?

I was thinking about this a while back.

I even started making notes about how to make HERO combat determanistic enough to be programmable.

As a primary programmer of Herosphere I can tell you that the Hero System is in fact programmable... but it is a very complicated process. The basic Attack powers and Defense powers are pretty straight forward for coding, but when you start getting into Adjustment powers it becomes a bookkeeping nightmare (kind of like playing REAL Hero. LOL) It also gets a little wonky when dealing with powers that affect senses and Mental powers.

Just to clarify, I was talking about converting NetHack (or the other ASCII game, ADOM) to Hero rules for a table top game. I think ADOM is a better overall ASCII system for the purposes of converting though as it actually featured skill improvements and talents every 2 levels. Converting the talents in ADOM over would be simple. Half of them are Combat Skill Levels.

The hardest part would be converting class powers, spells, and monsters over.