Creating Our Own World

teh bunneh

Re: No world for you!

I agree that Galactic Champions would probably be the bigger draw as it's supeheroes and an untapped market. The drawback is that there is only one GC book published, so helping DOJ sell 1 book is not as beneficial as helping them to sell 3 or more by going with TE.

Compare

The drawback is that there is only one GC book published' date=' so helping DOJ sell 1 book is not as beneficial as helping them to sell 3 or more by going with TE.[/quote']

I disagree. TE ties into GC, does it not? What about all the supers related material?

Terran Empire

• Star Hero
  • Terran Empire
  • Spacer's Toolkit
  • Alien Wars

Galactic Champions

• UNTIL Superpowers Database
  • Gadgets and Gear (maybe)
  • Galactic Champions
  • Ultimate Martial Artist (maybe)
  • Spacer's toolkit
  • Star Hero
  • The Ultimate Brick
  • The Ultimate Mystic
  • Terran Empire

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Creating Our Own World

I don't understand why there is such a fuss about "stepping on Hero Games' toes." Despite what may or may not happen as a result of a fan-made enterprise, I certainly wouldn't limit myself to creating campaign material designed to help DoJ sell their games. The Hero System is there, this is one of the benefits it officially provides -- the ability to create your own game world. If a fan-made campaign setting is actually competitive with DoJ's settings, I'd be quite surprised (MAINLY because it would likely only be available in PDF format). Even if it were significantly competitive, what of it? Donate it to DoJ and have them publish it, if it's that good! Then everyone wins.

You'll notice there's been no comment from Hero Games staff. This may be because they just don't want to get involved (for obvious reasons), but it may also be because they see no threat from a fan-made enterprise. My advice, MitchellS, is to PM Steve, Darren, or Ben and get their take on the possible detrimental effects of a fan-made endeavor.

Re: Compare

I disagree. TE ties into GC, does it not? What about all the supers related material?

Terran Empire

• Star Hero
  • Terran Empire
  • Spacer's Toolkit
  • Alien Wars

Galactic Champions

• UNTIL Superpowers Database
  • Gadgets and Gear (maybe)
  • Galactic Champions
  • Ultimate Martial Artist (maybe)
  • Spacer's toolkit
  • Star Hero
  • The Ultimate Brick
  • The Ultimate Mystic
  • Terran Empire

Actually GC ties into the Galactic Federation.

You need to decide what the purpose of the project is. If it's to attract newbies to the system then GC is bu far the better choice. If it's to attract existing fans to try a different genre then TE is the better choice [as most fans probably already have the listed Hero material you have above].

I don't understand why there is such a fuss about "stepping on Hero Games' toes." Despite what may or may not happen as a result of a fan-made enterprise, I certainly wouldn't limit myself to creating campaign material designed to help DoJ sell their games. The Hero System is there, this is one of the benefits it officially provides -- the ability to create your own game world. If a fan-made campaign setting is actually competitive with DoJ's settings, I'd be quite surprised (MAINLY because it would likely only be available in PDF format). Even if it were significantly competitive, what of it? Donate it to DoJ and have them publish it, if it's that good! Then everyone wins.

You'll notice there's been no comment from Hero Games staff. This may be because they just don't want to get involved (for obvious reasons), but it may also be because they see no threat from a fan-made enterprise. My advice, MitchellS, is to PM Steve, Darren, or Ben and get their take on the possible detrimental effects of a fan-made endeavor.

There's a difference between 3,000 fans having 3,000 different websites [which really only get seen by the fan's own group and friends] and a group of dedicated fans having one resource website and then stearing other gamers to that website [which has the potential to reach thousands].

I'm looking for ways to help Hero Games 1- sell more existing product [liquidating inventory for cashflow is the backbone of all small businesses], 2- attract a larger fan-base [both within and without the existing Hero community]. Creating an independent game world does not really do either of those two things.

As far as PMing Steve or Darren, I don't believe there is a need. As Killer Shrike said in another thread, good intentions tend to collapse very quickly once the work-load hits. :)

Guest Black Lotus

As far as PMing Steve or Darren' date=' I don't believe there is a need. As Killer Shrike said in another thread, good intentions tend to collapse very quickly once the work-load hits. :)[/quote']

Indeed. I've been eagerly awaiting the home-brewed Fallout unofficial sequels for... oh, five years now. How many have come out? None. ;)

Money gets people moving, by God, and when your dinner is coming from a large green-and-black book, you better get that baby PUBLISHED! :thumbup:

Hmm...

1. People want to be involved in a creative project to create a Hero setting that is relatively accessible to all.
  2. Some seem to be afraid of hurting DOJ's business.

So how about forming a development comittee, with a contract for participating volunteer developers and an agreement with DOJ. When the project is deemed, "ready," it could be handed over to DOJ with something like:

• An agreement on price that will not hurt DOJ's profits and other sales but will keep it affordable to a widespread gamer populace.
  • A copyright giving DOJ exclusive rights to distribute and sell the work without modification, and allowing the committee to draft new versions and add new developers who have purchased an up-to-date version from DOJ.

It would allow contributers a sense of accomplishment and recognition (as their names would be on the work), and not run a serious risk of hurting what we want to see as a growing and thriving business.

Hmm...

1. People want to be involved in a creative project to create a Hero setting that is relatively accessible to all.
  2. Some seem to be afraid of hurting DOJ's business.

So how about forming a development comittee, with a contract for participating volunteer developers and an agreement with DOJ. When the project is deemed, "ready," it could be handed over to DOJ with something like:

• An agreement on price that will not hurt DOJ's profits and other sales but will keep it affordable to a widespread gamer populace.
  • A copyright giving DOJ exclusive rights to distribute and sell the work without modification, and allowing the committee to draft new versions and add new developers who have purchased an up-to-date version from DOJ.

It would allow contributers a sense of accomplishment and recognition (as their names would be on the work), and not run a serious risk of hurting what we want to see as a growing and thriving business.

Welp, the Copyright may take care of itself...

If we decide to create something for Galatic Champions that is tied to it then we've created what is called a "Derivative Work." A Deritvate Work is, per US Copyright Law, copyright to the creator of the Original Work automatically, unless the creator of the Original Work has set forth a seperate and explicite statment stating otherwise. (this applies to "fanfic" BTW.)

The end result of that is if we make a Galatic Champions spin off/add on/what have you, DOJ already owns it unless they tell us otherwise.

If we come up with something completely and utterly original, then we can start talking Copyright Control and who has what.

And ... not so amazingly ... DOJ already has a set of guidelines for things they're willing to accept.

IF we are serious about this, I suggest we follow the Writers Guidelines that are available in the Submissions section of the website.

IF we are serious about this, I'm willing to step up and spearhead this unless someone else really wants to.

IF we are serious about this, it will be WORK that involves TIME, and I'm talking months here. Not days.

IF we are serous about this, we'll need an editor because I sure as heck am not one. I'm just a writer.

IF a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound and how do I write that up?

If a tree falls in the woods...

[b]Cost	Power[/b]
6	Hearing Group Images 1" radius, +/-2 to PER Rolls, Side Effects,
Tree falls, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever
Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near
the character; +0) (11 Active Points); IIF Bulky (Focus, Tree; -3/4)
[b]Power Cost: 6[/b]

IF we are serious about this, I suggest we follow the Writers Guidelines that are available in the Submissions section of the website.

IF we are serious about this, I'm willing to step up and spearhead this unless someone else really wants to.

IF we are serious about this, it will be WORK that involves TIME, and I'm talking months here. Not days.

IF we are serous about this, we'll need an editor because I sure as heck am not one. I'm just a writer.

If you'd be willing to spearhead this, I'll volunteer as editor. I've got a pretty good handle on the writer's guidelines, and I'm a writer/editor in the Real World to boot. :)

Bill.

If you'd be willing to spearhead this, I'll volunteer as editor. I've got a pretty good handle on the writer's guidelines, and I'm a writer/editor in the Real World to boot. :)

Bill.

Sounds good to me. I'll read up on the guidelines myself today/tomorrow, then all we have to do is iron out what it is we want exactly and create a proposal.

something really important to note about Traveller Hero, traveller hero was discussed with all parties involved and approved before it ever hit the web.

we put it together to try and introduce more players to Hero and Traveller, and if folks wanted to borrow from traveller for Star Hero games, the material has been out there for years. theres a website with a full interactive atlas of traveller worlds that can provide adventure fodder for any SF game for that matter.

as far as helping with additional TE material, my specialty is mostly gadgets and vehicles and ships, but I also do a fair bit of world building too... what can I do to help

I've already started on some TE supplemental material with the starship of the week idea. somebody give me a direction otherwise

I'm definitely in! I've done some freelance writing, editing and story consulting over the years, and would be happy to help out.

I've never played Galactic Champions, but it sounds like a good possibility. Here are a couple other ideas that appeal to me. (Of course, I'm actually home sick today, so it could be the flu virus talking... )

1) I like the suggestion of a rifts-style meta-genre project, because that could really showcase the versatility of the system and it's something you can't do (or at least, not well or not easily) in most other game systems. Hero has already put all this time & energy into their meta-setting; let's run with that! And the specific genre episodes can be tied firmly to existing setting books, so we encourage people to give DOJ their money.

2) What about doing something for Pulp Hero? Since the "world" is already known to a large extent, we can just go ahead and people it without drawing away from any published (or soon-to-be-published) material. Plus it's an area where there isn't much competition right now. And if we do a decent job, it's free advertising for DOJ's newest product.

What do you think? Or should I go back to bed? ;)

bigdamnhero

"What's the fun of being a grownup if you can't be childish?"