Campaign Paradigms

Killer Shrike

Im working on a series of Camapaign Paradigms to tie together material scattered around my site and help novice GM's start their campaigns.

Just thru it together, so this is a 1st draft, and I haven't linked things up yet -- but here is the first pass:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/campaignParadigms.shtml

Re: Campaign Paradigms

I like it.

The granulation is a bit to distant for my own tastes, but it hit the great big major points and would certianly be of some use.

I think it would add to the scope if you tried to define a few of the more popular worlds in the fantasy genre ~ say FR, Eberon, Pendragon/Harn, Midnight, Middle Earth, WOT, aSoI&F, and the Tarakian Age. That would take the focus away from concepts that are relatively ill defined (high magic vs low magic and which does Middle Earth fall into) and get it down to a more nuts and bolts level of...."I want a game like FR, let's see what KS thinks I need to include and exclude."

Bravo

It is really good. It is helping me get some thoughts clear on my new FH game. I can use that to figure out which options I will be using. My starting points totals are a little higher than what you suggest, but the varying options of superheroic and heroic side by side will make it much easier.

Once again KS your site rocks and has helped another GM in distress.

Thanks for sharing.

RP

I like it.

The granulation is a bit to distant for my own tastes, but it hit the great big major points and would certianly be of some use.

I think it would add to the scope if you tried to define a few of the more popular worlds in the fantasy genre ~ say FR, Eberon, Pendragon/Harn, Midnight, Middle Earth, WOT, aSoI&F, and the Tarakian Age. That would take the focus away from concepts that are relatively ill defined (high magic vs low magic and which does Middle Earth fall into) and get it down to a more nuts and bolts level of...."I want a game like FR, let's see what KS thinks I need to include and exclude."

Bravo

Yeah, Im not done yet -- Im going to hit a few more basic paradigms, and then start getting in to specifics.

Of course I'm not familiar with every setting on the market, but I hope to give enough coverage that quirks of individual settings can be inferred.

Ill revisit this idea once I get the general stuff done.

This is all part of Killer Shrike's campaign to force Ben, by popular demand, to drop the "You must spread Reputation around" limitation on the boards.

Good stuff once again, KS.

Actually, I think I have the worst Reputation to Post Count Ratio of anyone on the boards, but thanks for the sentiment ;)

I liked it. Well thought out and easy to use. You may not have used my exact definitions' date=' but close enough.[/quote']

Ya, can't please everyone all of the time.

Actually, Im going to post a blank version of the paradigm doc so GM's can print it off and fill it out for themselves with their own nuances.

And thanks. Not just for adding Epic and Fantasy but for all your work. Saved me a ton of time on my fantasy game.

Thanx! Glad to hear it.

A lot of good stuff. I am not very well read in Fantasy and most of my experience has been with RPGs and movies. I had never thought about much of this in such detail.

If I may, the only criticism I really have is that it was a little difficult for me to understand at first. Specifically the multiple references to Paradigm, Genre and Subgenre. It may just be me. I had to read it three times before I could tell what you were talking about.

A lot of good stuff. I am not very well read in Fantasy and most of my experience has been with RPGs and movies. I had never thought about much of this in such detail.

If I may, the only criticism I really have is that it was a little difficult for me to understand at first. Specifically the multiple references to Paradigm, Genre and Subgenre. It may just be me. I had to read it three times before I could tell what you were talking about.

Ok, what i mean is that Fantasy is a genre, High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, etc are subgenres, and within those subgenres there are multiple implementation possibilities, which I'm calling paradigms.

par·a·digm

n.

1. One that serves as a pattern or model.

2. A set or list of all the inflectional forms of a word or of one of its grammatical categories: the paradigm of an irregular verb.

3. A set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality for the community that shares them, especially in an intellectual discipline.

Definition #2 isn't applicable in this case, but both #1 and #3 are. An individual GM's implementation is a paradigm in the sense of definition #3, and suggested implementations such as the ones I provide are also paradigms in the sense of definition #1.

In otherwords, the paradigms I've posted are there as example models. So for example I present an example model for Epic Fantasy making certain assumptions, asserting certain concepts (races, professions, magic systems, etc), values (particular package deals, particular magic systems), and practices (how to handle particular concepts). However, you are already running an Epic Fantasy campaign with your own operating assumptions, concepts, values, and practices. Meanwhile some other GM starts up a new Epic Fantasy campaign and uses my example paradigm, but modifies it to suit their preferences.

All three are subtly different, but all three are still Epic Fantasy. They are different paradigms in the same subgenre.

Does that make more sense?

Ok, what i mean is that Fantasy is a genre, High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, etc are subgenres, and within those subgenres there are multiple implementation possibilities, which I'm calling paradigms.

All three are subtly different, but all three are still Epic Fantasy. They are different paradigms in the same subgenre.

Does that make more sense?

Yes it does. Very nice.

:thumbup:

par·a·digm

n.

1. One that serves as a pattern or model.

2. A set or list of all the inflectional forms of a word or of one of its grammatical categories: the paradigm of an irregular verb.

3. A set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality for the community that shares them, especially in an intellectual discipline.

4. A nickel shy of two bits.:D