New Ship Map

GoldenAge

I just wanted to provide the players at Hero with a fun new tool.

Hope you guys can use it... I originally made it for a 2004 tournament. I recently dug it up to use in a new Hero Star Wars game we just started. Worked GREAT!!! It has a key, but I'll let you fill out the details on your own.

ENJOY!!!

Re: New Ship Map

That's a nice map!

What did you make it with, and how long did it take to create?

Thanks.

I pulled free stuff off the web... a corridor here and a bed there, made allot of textures myself and put it all together from scratch.

It took quite a while. The original was created in Photoshop with layers for hull, corridors, rooms, items... etc. etc. and was created at a 1:1 scale. The whole thing is just short of a gig of memory.

I had the 90+" ship printed in full color at 1/2 scale and it was still 4 feet long. We had small, customized player pieces and markers for the actual tournament game to account for the small hex size.

The game was a hoot. If you'd like to know more... let me know. :)

Sounds like some of the mapping experiments I've tried from time to time. Using National Geographic Maps, I can print enormous maps for Pulp games, and the FH game I ran at Origins involved creating a map of each individual room to show the players as a visual aid. Maps is fun. :)

I recommend using one of the freeware tile-based map programs you can get. Leads to much smaller sized files (ie it's much easier to declare n instances of a tile than to create n tiles).

Even the commercial program Dundjinni could be used.

Although I personally love Photoshop - it does have its limits.

A few years ago I took a cruise and thoughtfully kept a handout of the deck-by-deck floor layout, explicitly for use as gaming source material. I should scan that and upload it.

I admit that I was ... taken aback ... by being on a cruise ship with a displacement of 90,000 tons. The American aircraft carriers at Midway were less than a third of that, and the Iowa-class battleships' standard displacement originally was 45,000 tons.

Here's something I don't usually say....

Holy friggin' realism, Batman!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

If you could do the same thing with something someone else has written, you could get some work in Digital Hero....

I don't see a problem doing this for someone else. I've been a Graphics professional (from lowly Designer to Creative Director) since '92... It's what I do! :thumbup:

Working for HERO would be fun.

nicely done..

I like paper deckplans myself, I have all the old FASA sets, and the Azhanti High Lightning game for traveller, AHL is really nice, but finding a copy of the original isnt easy or cheap, Seeker Gaming Systems has also done some deck plans that are probably a little easier to find

A few years ago I took a cruise and thoughtfully kept a handout of the deck-by-deck floor layout, explicitly for use as gaming source material. I should scan that and upload it.

I admit that I was ... taken aback ... by being on a cruise ship with a displacement of 90,000 tons. The American aircraft carriers at Midway were less than a third of that, and the Iowa-class battleships' standard displacement originally was 45,000 tons.

some of the cruise line sites have deckplans on them actually, Cunard for one, its just the passenger decks, but they are still useful