NCM-type for strength

MitchellS

Re: NCM-type for strength

I always thought that massive lifting strength but no proportionate increase in damage was silly in the comics' date=' but feel free to simulate it if that's what you like in your campaigns. For myself, if I were going to worry about this in a campaign, I'd rather re-write the Strength chart. I kind of dislike it. :)[/quote']

To me that's the most interesting stuff. I hate gams with massive damage. I'd much rather see a 125 strength superman pick up an asteroid and throw it then a 200 strength one. Proportional damage is really meaningless because there is no way of knowing the difference in ability between someone with a 100 strength and someone with a 200 strength. I prefer to see people do more with less. I'll still take the beer. :)

Well, for what it's worth... when you start talking about picking up battleships and pushing moons... Tactile Telekineses is pretty much the only explanation. Whatever it is that holds things together, has nothing to do with how strong you are, and everything to do with the magic of make-believe.

As for the Lifting Adders... I think I dig the 2 point "Costs END" ones better. It gives these mighty feats that element of effort I think they should have.

To me, this build is all about that elusive mind over matter SFX that Superman reportedly has, that allows him to manipulate aspects of reality with his pure understanding of it... and justifies his weakness to magic, as it mystifies him.

I like it, but I will be charging less for it, I will also be requireing the limitation of Extra END x5, maybe another -1/2 lim as well (Brings the cost to +5 STR for +1 point). The extra END makes it so using the power is them straining...

I like it' date=' but I will be charging less for it, I will also be requireing the limitation of Extra END x5, maybe another -1/2 lim as well (Brings the cost to +5 STR for +1 point). The extra END makes it so using the power is them straining...[/quote']

I think what you're wanting to do is a little different than this. What you want to do can happen just by allowing super-pushes [pushes of greater than 10 points]. The end cost is the same and there is not up-front character cost to you. You might even just want to buy a 5 point talent called "Super-Push" that allows you to exceed the 10 end cap. Just a thought.

I want something that allows characters to be massively strong without needing to do god-like damage at the same time. I think the mega-strength adder works for that.

now that idea is a good one, the adder, the talent. you might have given this GM a new tool to make my player's lives interesting.

Raven

Thanks. I hope you can get some use out of it. I'm already making some characters with it to see how they work. So far it seems to be working fine.

How about a +1/4 adv mega scale str. all lift is now in ton rather than kg, +1/4 for x10.

They did after all use in for movement.

Mega-scale could work [i just prefer adders], though I think it needs to be redefined to a lower beginning level. I have never liked the 1 km jump. I liked the initial concept of +1/4 = x10, and each additional +1/4 increase that x10. So you run x10", x100", x1,000", etc.

Mega-scale could work [i just prefer adders]' date=' though I think it needs to be redefined to a lower beginning level. I have never liked the 1 km jump. I liked the initial concept of +1/4 = x10, and each additional +1/4 increase that x10. So you run x10", x100", x1,000", etc.[/quote']

Yes and no. I can buy a few PSL's vs Range and be very happy with 5" movement x 10 getting me anywhere on the battlemat. Not sop when I have to move at least 1 km.

Now, I'll lose a phase here and there since Megascale means noncombat (IIRC), and I'll have a reduced DCV, but a few extra SPD points and extra defenses, plus those range PSL's can likely be paid for with the savings on my movement.

Yes and no. I can buy a few PSL's vs Range and be very happy with 5" movement x 10 getting me anywhere on the battlemat. Not sop when I have to move at least 1 km.

Now, I'll lose a phase here and there since Megascale means noncombat (IIRC), and I'll have a reduced DCV, but a few extra SPD points and extra defenses, plus those range PSL's can likely be paid for with the savings on my movement.

The problem is it's too cheap. A 5 speed character seldom has need to purchase more than 5" of movement with 1 level of megascale. An AE 1 hex megascale takes out a huge area for little cost investment. Area Effect is pretty expensive but a +3/4 AE 1hex megascale can cover the same areas as a +5 AE advantage. That's not balanced.

The problem is it's too cheap. A 5 speed character seldom has need to purchase more than 5" of movement with 1 level of megascale. An AE 1 hex megascale takes out a huge area for little cost investment. Area Effect is pretty expensive but a +3/4 AE 1hex megascale can cover the same areas as a +5 AE advantage. That's not balanced.
This is true, but with Megascale, of course, you can't scale down the AoE into smaller sizes. I'll admit it's a lame limitation in comparison to the price advantage, but it's something.

Megascale has it's uses, but I've never being a huge fan of it. It seems like it's always relegated to alternate Multipower Pool slots, for other, more mainstream power builds, on Characters that need to have a half dozen specialized versions of thier standard powers.

I can't add damage to my attacks' date=' but I can lift that superfreighter over there and drop it on you? :nonp:[/quote']

Sure..

"When I concentrate on it I can bench press small planetoids. But when I'm swinging my fists around concentrating on trying to hit the moving guy I just can't get ALL my strength to bear on him."

that help?

I like it. I've even been toying with the idea of divorcing the whole exponential lifting from STR entirely (but only as a default). A linear (STR x 10 kg) would be simplest, but I'm leaning toward geometric (STR^2 kg). And then use your adder to double lifting capacity for truly strong characters. This way STR is primarily about how hard you can punch, plus figureds and leaping, and secondarily increases your lifting capacity, but at a more "down-to-earth" rate. Of course, this is more appropriate for some genres than others.

I hate seeing the mechanics of the game. Everything you currently see in Hero as an adder is actually a power or advantage within itself where the mechanics are hidden [the same for talents as well]. I prefer to hide the mechanics and just create the adders [and that is how all other games handle it as well].

The big question with an Adder is whether it scales properly. Because it does, in this case, I'd say having that as a standard might be quite useful. Good call, MitchellS.

I meant the mega scale thing as a joke.

for starters there is a point where its more efficient to buy str.

As for exerting i always go for crush damage, if you can lift the moon you can certainly crush the moon. ( thats damage )