Duke (art and characters)

Duke

Re: Duke (art and characters)

Rob I used photoshop. Most of it I made though things like the cars I snaged from google and resized them.

I like to use photoshop especially because of the layers. This way if a character enters a building I can remove the roof and show the interior wherever they are.

Though I have not made the insides yet, I figure I can make them on the fly since it is only a message board game.

I have the PSD if anyone wants that, just let me know.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why many of the great cartoonists can sit down and draw up some amazing "straight" figure drawings. They can draw the real thing and then know how to apply that to creating a caricature.

I was at DragonCon some years ago and as always there were hopeful young artists showing their stuff ti pros and asking for tips. The best bit of advice I ever saw someone get: the pro was looking at all the fantastic character art this guy had done and agreed he had a good grasp of anatomy and such.

Then he said 'At some point, someone will ask you to draw a normal kitchen interior. Can you do that?'

'Probably not'.

'Practice'.

Can I draw a normal kitchen interior? Or are you saying that most artists in general?

Me I would have to say yes.

I didn't study classical animation at Sheridan college for nothing.

I would agree most artists are not adapt at perspective and backgrounds. Which is why many artists lean towards mechanical, or organic illustrators.

The majority of people I would have to say enjoy more organic principles, rather then attempting to illustrate perspective properly. Its more a mathematical way of doing things, and as we know most artists are not too fond of math.

I think the real issue for most artists is can they draw a background like a normal kitchen? Sure they could, but they really don't want to because there is nothing exciting to them about drawing a kitchen.

But if you start getting into composition and dramatic angles it could get more and more interesting to draw, rather then a flat boring kitchen.

Yeah, Dungeon Siege is over for me now, I think they are still filming until mid October for other scenes....

Oh and as far as I know, the title has changed to "In the Name of the King"

Here are some pics...

I'm in the 3rd pic down, on the left side. Also in the 4th row down, the middle and right pics... I look like I'm 12 there though, lol... 5th row down on the left is me again in a helmet...

Another of me in armour at a different location.

The boys and I in armour. I'm second from the right in case you can't tell.

Another of the boys and I. Bottom right, kneeling.

One of me ready to chop!

Hope you enjoy those.

_IGP3033.jpg

I was at DragonCon some years ago and as always there were hopeful young artists showing their stuff ti pros and asking for tips. The best bit of advice I ever saw someone get: the pro was looking at all the fantastic character art this guy had done and agreed he had a good grasp of anatomy and such.

Then he said 'At some point, someone will ask you to draw a normal kitchen interior. Can you do that?'

'Probably not'.

'Practice'.

uh. yes.

My girlfriend is an interior designer. Her best friend is an interior designer who designs kitchens. I better be able to draw a kitchen!!!!

But seriously, what I don't understand is how freakin' easy perspective is, especially for something nice and mechanical like kitchens. Time consuming? yes, very... but hard? It is simple stuff.

Hell, I mastered perspective waaaaay before I was a professional illustrator. In fact, it was about the only thing I had mastered when I became an illustrator.

Your pulling our legs! I you can't fool me, I know you're larping!

"I attack the darkness"

Yeah, Dungeon Siege is over for me now, I think they are still filming until mid October for other scenes....

Oh and as far as I know, the title has changed to "In the Name of the King"

Here are some pics...

• 1 month later...

mistresspsi.jpg

I know its been awhile, but my work got very busy for awhile. And then they let me go due to budget cuts.

Lovely eh?

Anyway that means I have a lot of time on my hands so if anyone is still interested in an illustration, let me know.

Re: Duke (art and characters) I should swap that mistress psi pic for a slighty larger one. It gets difficult to see the detail on the background. Anyway I did another tonight, messing around with a wacom tablet, as I never had one before. I present to you the blood sucking mutated beast. Vamprax vamprax.png