First quasi-Manual, Demi-Annual, Homegrown Mod Contest!

hooligan x

I love seeing your Hero mods, but what else is on your table? Here is the rules for the new contest:

1. All figures must be original characters. They don't have to be your original characters, but not based on published characters. You can enter all the PCs in your game, unless you play Marvel Vs Predator or something.

2. All figures must be accompanied by a character write up. We are unfamiliar with the character and we're gonna ask anyway, so do it all at once.

3. Enter as many characters as you'd like.

4. There are two catergories: Single character and Group. Groups should have a common theme or costume element.

Rather than setting a deadline and then revising it, I'll anounce a deadline later. I will give two weeks notice before the deadline.

'K kiddos, get modding!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: First quasi-Manual, Demi-Annual, Homegrown Mod Contest!

Pshaw! This smacks of effort!

Not that much. If you are currently playing in a game using minis, and you mod minis for that game, the character is probably in your HD file already. If you don't use the HD, you have it on paper somewhere I'll bet. I can think of atleast twenty figs I could enter were I not the instigtior of this contest. There should be a flurry of entries using existing mods, then mods made for the contest. Or the thread could drop to page four in a day. Ya never know. The NDG ran with the lunch thread for two weeks.

You're far more organized than I.

I don't post many original characters online. But if I have time we'll see. Next two weeks look hectic. But if my business trip has a lot of downtime I might have some time to round something up.

This will be fun I have a whole Webcomic devoted to my characters. Although I will just do the main character, my namesake. I am slowly transfering them over to Hero Design. I want to get it right so I am questioning and learning as I go along.

Not for contest, just an example to show what I mean:

Name: Lillith Gagne

Player: Terror

Val Char Base Cost

10 STR 10 0

14 DEX 10 12

15 CON 10 10

17 BODY 10 14

20 INT 10 10

24 EGO 10 28

20 PRE 10 0

14 COM 10 2

7/22 PD 2 5

7/22 ED 3 4

5 SPD 2.4 26

9 REC 5 8

30 END 30 0

30 STUN 30 0

6" RUN 6 0

0" SWIM 2 -2

2" LEAP 2 0

Total Cost = 385

Pts. Skill/Perk/Talent/Power END

60 Brain Zap: Ego Attack 6d6 6

15 +15 Mental Defense (20 points total)

5 Deadly Attraction: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only when interacting with the dead (-1)

22 Sixth Sense: Detect ghosts A Class Of Things 13-, Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range, Sense

20 Ghost Manipulation: Elemental Control, 40-point powers

32 1) Phantom Touch: Telekinesis (20 STR), Based On EGO Combat Value (Standard Defense; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4) (52 Active Points) 5

20 2) Eyes of the Dead: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight And Hearing Groups) (50 Active Points); Blackout (-1/2) [Notes: Sees through the senses of ghosts who witnessed the past] 5

25 3) Ghostly Shield: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED/15 Power Defense) (45 Active Points) 4

35 4) Call Spirit Allies: Summon 50-point Ghosts (x4 Number Of Beings), Amicable Devoted (+3/4), Specific Being (+1) (55 Active Points) [Notes: Nuncio, Pigeon, Kip, and Frederick] 5

2 Animal Handler (Felines) 13-

3 Systems Operation 13-

4 KS: Haunted Places (INT-based) 14-

2 AK: Boston 11-

1 AK: NYC 8-

3 PS: Researcher (INT-based) 13-

1 Language: Spanish (basic conversation)

10 +2 with EVC

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Occult symbols (2 Active Points) 11-

2 2) KS: Ghosts (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

1 3) KS: gothic literature (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Victorian authors (2 Active Points) 11-

234 : Powers Cost

34 + Skills Cost

117 + Characteristics Cost

385 = Total Cost

Disadvantages Pts

Distinctive Features: Full body tattoos (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) 10

Hunted: Paparazzi 8- (Less Pow; Mildly Punish; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Extensive Non-Combat Influence) 10

Hunted: Moiré 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find) 20

Hunted: Gerhard Biv 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find) 15

Enraged: when mocked or teased (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 8- 20

Psychological Limitation: Fear of bodies of water (Common; Total) 20

Psychological Limitation: Vengeful (Common; Moderate) 10

Psychological Limitation: in love with Mad Angus McCrae (Common; Strong) 15

Dependent NPC: Chloe 8- (Normal) 10

Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Mental attacks (Common) 20

XP 120

Base Points : 200

Disads Total + 150

Experience Spent + 35

Height: 5' 5" Hair: Black

Weight: 135 lbs Eyes: Green

Appearance: Lillith is covered in occult tattoos from the neck down. She always dresses in black, conservative dresses for work and black leather while adventuring. She is usually surrounded by ghosts, although they are not always visable to those not sensitive to spirits.

Background: Lillith's mental powers first manifested at age six, when she almost drowned in a boating accident in which her twin sister and father died. After the accident, Lillith was able to see and communicate with the dead. She found it easier to relate to these spirits than the classmates who labeled her "weird" and taunted her mercilessly. As she grew up, she developed close bonds to four ghosts who are totally devoted to her. She became interested in the occult and parapsychology. She graduated with a degree in library science and began working for the Boston Public Library.

Lillith's unique abilities came to the attention of the mysterious man who recruited Team F-Up. Since joining the group, Lillith has literally been to hell, fought in an extradimentional gladiatorial game show, been to several alternate Earths, and fought her dead twin. She is currently engaged to reformed super-villain Mad Angus McCrae, a fixture in the tabloids.

Here's my "Single Figure" entry. It's my wife's character from a long-running 4C Champions game that a friend ran (called The Bay City Champions). This is her as a beginning (350 point) character. By the time the game ended, she was in the high 500s or low 600s. :D

Celestica - Amber Griffin

VAL CHA Cost Total Roll Notes

60 STR 50 60 21- HTH Damage 12d6 END [6]

23 DEX 39 23 14- OCV 8 DCV 8

30 CON 40 30 15-

15 BODY 10 15 12-

10 INT 0 10 11- PER Roll 11-

15 EGO 10 15 12- ECV: 5

18 PRE 8 18 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

14 COM 2 14 12-

19 PD 7 19/31 19/31 PD (0/12 rPD)

18 ED 12 18/30 18/30 ED (0/12 rED)

5 SPD 17 5 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

18 REC 0 18

60 END 0 60

60 STUN 0 60

6 RUN 0 6" END [1]

2 SWIM 0 2" END [1]

12 LEAP 0 12" 12" forward, 6" upward

CHA Cost: 195

Cost POWERS

22 Battle Armor: Armor (12 PD/12 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2), OIF (Battle Armor; -1/2) - END=0

5 Alien Physiology: Mental Defense (8 points total) - END=0

5 Alien Physiology: Power Defense (5 points) - END=0

20 Alien Physiology: Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) - END=0

30 Defy Gravity: Flight 15" - END=3

22 Sense the Warp: Spatial Awareness (Mental Group) - END=0

20 Sense Weak Spot: Find Weakness 11- with Hand to Hand Attacks - END=0

POWERS Cost: 124

Cost SKILLS

10 +2 with HTH Combat

2 +1 with Move Throughs

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Power: Brick Tricks 14-

3 Tactics 11-

SKILLS Cost: 24

Cost TALENTS

3 Absolute Range Sense

4 Environmental Movement (no penalties in Zero Gravity)

TALENTS Cost: 7

Value DISADVANTAGES

5 Distinctive Features: "Thousand-Yard Stare" (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

25 Hunted: VIPER 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Malvans 11- (Mo Pow, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: US State Department 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Physical Limitation: Stranger in a Strange Land (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Military Minded (Very Common, Moderate)

5 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero (Uncommon, Moderate)

10 Reputation: Living Weapon, 11- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

20 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Amber Griffin) (Frequently, Severe)

15 Social Limitation: "Blank" (No Records Of Her Exist Prior To 2004) (Frequently, Major)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 150

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 350

Height: 1.80 m

Hair: Brown

Weight: 90.00 kg

Eyes: Blue-Black

Appearance: Celestica wears a skintight bodysuit that appears to have been cut from the night sky -- black but studded with shining stars. Over this, she wears a suit of gladiator-like armor which covers her shoulders, thighs, forearms, and shins. She is an attractive (if hard) woman who wears her short brown hair loose, and doesn't bother to cover her face with a mask -- no records of her exist on this planet, so as yet she has nothing to hide. "Celestica" is not her name, but rather her rank -- roughly equivalent to Master Sergeant in the US Army.

In her civilian ID, Amber is a lovely woman, apparently in her mid-thirties. She has light brown hair and deep blue-black eyes. Her eyes have a faraway look to them, like the eyes of someone who has seen and done terrible things in her lifetime, and this has a tendency to make people uncomfortable. She stands about 5'11" and is extremely muscular, with the grace of a cat. She dresses simply (she has little fashion sense and no eye for color), tending towards military cuts and drab grays.

Personality: If Celestica had to be summed up in one word, that word would be "Soldier." She was raised to be a soldier, conditioned to obey orders. She lived her entire life in the military, and carries herself with a soldier's pride. She's never had to address questions of right and wrong -- "right" was what the commander told you to do. Since she's returned to her homeworld though, she's had to think for herself, and situations of dubious morality or ethics make her uncomfortable. He was raised in a regiment, and she longs to be a part of the camaraderie that is part of the military life. She is intelligent enough to know that she will only ever be able to fit in with a group of people who have similar powers, so she fell in with a local superhero team. She enjoys being part of the team, and has since picked up a number of their habits -- foremost among them being a superhero's respect for life and the protection of innocents (though perhaps not to the extent that the team leader would like her to).

Quote:"This reminds me of the time we fought the Mind-Spiders of Zeta-Betron on Talcrios VI. Mean little bastards, those spiders. We took a lot of casualties that day."

Background: Thousands of years ago and light years away, the Malvan Empire was at its height. It was an expansionistic realm, always warring on the lesser races around it. But fighting wars so continuously tends to deplete a planet's manpower, so eventually the Malvans came up with the idea of recruiting members of "lesser" races and turning them into living weapons.

Amber Griffin was barely a toddler when she vanished from her home in the hills of what would someday become Kentucky. Her parents assumed that a wild animal had carried her off, but in reality she was whisked from Earth and put into the Malvans' super-soldier program. She was subjected to treatments too bizarre to relate, and then raised as a soldier in the aliens' army. Her comrades were taken from every race imaginable, and they fought loyally against the enemies of the Malvans for centuries. But the Malvan Empire was not as eternal as it thought, and eventually the Malvans lost their interest in conquering more and more territory. They shelved the super-soldier program and released the troops to fight in Malva's gladatorial games. However, the soldiers proved too vicious and not nearly entertaining enough, so in a rare show of mercy the Malvans sent the troops back to their homeworlds.

Amber returned to Earth more than 200 years after she left it, and now finds herself trying to find a place among humanity.

Powers/Tactics: Celestica was designed to be a living weapon, fully fitted for space, air, land, and sea battles. As such, she can survive for long periods in deep space, returning only when she needs to sleep or eat. She is completely immune to the effects of vacuum, hard radiation, intense heat and cold, and the ravages of age. She was fitted with a special organ in her brain that enables her to "see" in the inky blackness of space or in the lightless depths of the ocean. Finally, she wears specially fitted armor to protect her from any hazards which could damage her naturally tough body.

Celestica's tactics are simple: fly in at top speed and hit her target. She and her troops were often fired out of torpedo tubes at enemy ships with the goal of penetrating their hulls and killing everyone inside -- they were used as both missiles and boarding troops, as the situation warrented. She has a tactical mind, but tends to be rather cold and ruthless in combat, wanting to put her enemies down quickly. However, she will rescue civilians if ordered to do so by a teammate that she respects.

Campaign Use: Celestica is a soldier, pure and simple, and fills that role in any team admirably. She is loyal to her comrades and obeys her commander without question (though she will not hesitate to offer tactical advice if she feels it is necessary). Aliens who have had contact with the Malvans might recognize Celestica as one of the feared "living weapons" of the wars, and react accordingly. Since there are no records of her in existence, she has a lot of trouble with day-to-day life -- she can't get a credit card, find a job, or do many of the things that citizens take for granted. If the State Department or the Pentagon found out about her (combine her age with her alien nature), they could make her life a living hell.

Heya, I dropped off the planet for a while.

Anyhoo, I have some characters I could probably use, but I think folks have seen them already. Moreover, their character sheets are in a DH article submission so... ;)

I'll see what I can do in the more medium term however as this is a great idea!

Good to hear from Proditor! We have maybes from Blue, Lethosos, and Manchine. It'd be cool if RedMenace had a few entries as well. Enter early and often, kids!

Oh I almost forgot! Waht does the winner get besides braggin' rights? Why you get a personalized...

Shotglass of Dooooom!!

perfect for filling with acetone and swirling away that yucky Clix paint. Or you can just pound bourbon out of it.

Shotglass of Dooooom!!

perfect for filling with acetone and swirling away that yucky Clix paint. Or you can just pound bourbon out of it.

This is important: Don't try to swirl away Clix paint with your bourbon (it won't work, and you'll ruin good liquor), and DO NOT pound acetone (it also won't work -- you won't get a buzz, but you will get a free trip to the hospital and/or morgue). ;)

Bill.

OK' date=' here's Celestica. Let's hope this works this time![/quote']

Can everyone see the image? I can see the thumbnail, but clicking on the image (from my computer at work, at least) gets me nothing. Hm.

I thought I should give my secret formula as well. Celestica is a VOID Black Legionaire with the trident taken out of her hand and a head swap (can't recall who's head it is... I think it may be a Copplestone Chick With Gun, but I won't swear on it). Really simple mod.

Nevereverend -- What'd you do to make Blaster Red? :D

Bill.

Let me know what's holding you back from entering. Is it the character sheet? Do I smell? Is it that I am mean to Enforcer84?

I would if I had models to work with, and wasn't packing to go back to school. But all I have is my tyranid warhammer figures...and they aren't all that great for this kind of contest :(

There are some pics in the warhammer thread, but nothing too special.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that everyone is back from GenCon ([Napoleon Dynamite]Lucky![/Napoleon Dynamite], let's get those mods posted. Remember the team catergory is wide open now. With teams, a brief rundown of powers will do instead of full writeups.

Get to work!

Now that everyone is back from GenCon ([Napoleon Dynamite]Lucky![/Napoleon Dynamite], let's get those mods posted. Remember the team catergory is wide open now. With teams, a brief rundown of powers will do instead of full writeups.

Get to work!

Well heck, I got a team, I just didn't have any solos I felt able to post.

I'll sort through some photos and get something posted soon.

Oh, and hooligan? The Doctor is in. :D If you are willing, I should have abnother article for you by next weekend latest.