Legal Power Construction

Ndreare

Hello I am creating a villian for a game and want to give him the power to use the skills of another after reading their mind with telepathy. So I am wondering if this is a valid power construction or if I am breaking a rule I did not see in the books.

Cost Power

58 Barrow Skill: (Total: 79 Active Cost, 58 Real Cost) Transfer 1d6, Can Transfer Maximum Of 10 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute) (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1), Variable Effect Four Skills Simultaneously (+1) (64 Active Points); Limited Power Must get Ego +30 on telepathy roll. (-1/2) (Real Cost: 43) plus Target Keeps Skill: Naked Modifier, Usable Simultaneously (+1/2), Variable Effect Four Skills Simultaneously (+1) (15 Active Points) (Real Cost: 15)

Powers Cost: 58

Hmmm. I'm sorry, but this really isn't on-topic for this board. Unless there's a specific rules question, I'd rather not answer "is this legal" questions -- it takes enough of my time just with the rules queries. ;)

Instead, I've transferred this to "HERO System Discussion" so Herodom Assembled can discuss the merits of your construct.

I don't think that you can technically Transfer Skills (since Transfer says you can use it on "any Characteristic or Power)." One interesting (and book legal) way to simulate this effect might be a Variable Power Pool that you can allocate to replicate the effects of any Skill possessed by a character you've successfully used Telepathy on in the last hour (or whatever). For example, while you aren't technically supposed to use Transfer on Stealth or put Stealth in a VPP, you could put Invisibility or Images (with appropriate Limitations) in a VPP and call the resulting effect "Stealth."

Also, I don’t think you can use an adjustment power to gain something that character does not already possess except power adders. While you could transfer points into your STR, you could not transfer points to flight unless you had already put points into flight.

Derek’s idea of using a VPP would have some difficulties since there are a number of skills that are hard to mimic with powers, but as you figure them out it would probably be the most legal way to do it. A thread of how to mimic some of the more difficult things, like combat piloting for a character that hasn’t already bought combat piloting at the 3 point level at least, could be interesting.

A DEX aid only to increase OCV with a specific weapon or group could work for Weapon Familiarities. I would want at least 9 dice at standard effect to do this one. Yuck, 90 active points.

I think as GM, you might want to waive the ban on skills in VPPs in this case. Assuming that you would not find the construct abusive for your game.

While Skills normally aren't allowed in a VPP (or any Framework), a case like this might be the rare exception. I wouldn't allow any special Limitation like "Skills Only" though. That's the SFX of the pool. Though a "Only Skills Target Has" would be most appropriate.

Buy every Skill in the book as a Power, and apply to each the Limitations: Linked to Telepathy (-1/2), Only usable if target of Telepathy has same skill (-1 1/2). Thus, all 3 point skills cost a character point each.

Do the same thing for Martial Arts.

A kind hearted GM should let you get buy with buying a handful of KS, AK and PS skills rather than buying every single permuation.

Rather than buy each language, take Universal Translator, reverse engineer it, and link it to the Telepathy as well.

Also, for flavor/shtick you may want to cover the bases by taking the skill-like talents and powers as well like Find Weakness and Combat Sense, but they will be more expensive.

Then buy Overall Skill Levels. Apply Linked to Telepathy (-1/2), Only to Apply to Skills To Equal Skill Level of Telepathy Target (-1 1/2). Every 10 character points will buy you +3 Overalls to equalize skill levels.

Dump about a 100 to 150 character points into this and you have the ability to potentially perform any skill in the book as well as anyone you can mind read.

For an interesting twist, instead of Telepathy, use Mind Control with the Telepathic option instead. Define the effect as you command them to not use thier skills, and you gain the skills they arent using. Depending on the skill(s) and the circumstances you would have to roll higher up the effect chart to get the effect off. SFX = you are stealing thier experience for short periods. They will eventually make a breakout roll, and the skills will go away.

I made a character like this a long time ago named Brain Drain. ;) He was extrodinarily nasty vs Martial Artists or anyone with Requires Skill Roll Lims, and fairly useless otherwise. Fun nonetheless :D

Re: Legal Power Construction

Originally posted by Ndreare

Hello I am creating a villian for a game and want to give him the power to use the skills of another after reading their mind with telepathy. So I am wondering if this is a valid power construction or if I am breaking a rule I did not see in the books.

Cost Power

58 Barrow Skill: (Total: 79 Active Cost, 58 Real Cost) Transfer 1d6, Can Transfer Maximum Of 10 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute) (+1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1), Variable Effect Four Skills Simultaneously (+1) (64 Active Points); Limited Power Must get Ego +30 on telepathy roll. (-1/2) (Real Cost: 43) plus Target Keeps Skill: Naked Modifier, Usable Simultaneously (+1/2), Variable Effect Four Skills Simultaneously (+1) (15 Active Points) (Real Cost: 15)

Powers Cost: 58

I like what you're trying to do here.

As a GM I'd allow you to make a VPP similar to what Dust Raven mentioned earlier. It may look something like this.

26 Variable Power Pool, 20 base + 6 control cost (30 Active Points); Must get +30 w/Telepathy (-1/2), Only Skills Target has (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 26

I know I'm missing a few things, but that's the general idea.