The Empire Club: recruiting drive!

FenrisUlf

Re: The Empire Club: recruiting drive!

One strange idea for a member of the Empire Club would be: Moe Howard. He was quite a scrapper when a kid, he had a fine sense of social justice for his time, and he wasn't lacking in chutzpah either. He was also a fair character actor, though personally he was shy and retiring -- rather different from the usual pulp hero (or his screen self).

Anyone who wants to know more should try and hunt down a copy of his autobiography. It's a very good work for someone who wants to set a story or scene in the midst of vaudeville and its performers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One strange idea for a member of the Empire Club would be: Moe Howard. He was quite a scrapper when a kid' date=' he had a fine sense of social justice for his time, and he wasn't lacking in [i']chutzpah[/i] either. He was also a fair character actor, though personally he was shy and retiring -- rather different from the usual pulp hero (or his screen self).

Anyone who wants to know more should try and hunt down a copy of his autobiography. It's a very good work for someone who wants to set a story or scene in the midst of vaudeville and its performers.

Have you ever read any of Stuart Kaminsky's detective novels featuring P I Toby Peters ? Set in early 1940's Hollywood they often feature well known movie people (including The Marx Brothers, Mae West. Howard Hughes etc) in supporting roles.

Not really contributing any. But I was thinking it is getting to be a England/America thing perhaps too much. A suggestion might be more of other places if it is to be international. Course I am drawing blank, but just trying to help with suggestions.:)

Surely, there would be a Frenchman or 2.

Not really contributing any. But I was thinking it is getting to be a England/America thing perhaps too much. A suggestion might be more of other places if it is to be international. Course I am drawing blank, but just trying to help with suggestions.:)

Jules Verne, of course. ;)

Roald Amundsen, Umberto Nobile.

Wilhelm Messerschmitt and Juan de la Cierva can discuss Aeroplane design. ;)

And back to Anglo-Americans: A. Marmon Wasp---won the first Indy 500, in 1911. Plus Hiram Bingham, who 'discovered' the Inca city of Macchu-Pichu in the same year.

I like several of the celebrities mentioned. Has anyone mentioned Lon Chaney (Sr)? I think The Man of A Thousand Faces would've been a good candidate for "secret adventures." He and Douglas Fairbanks could've teamed up as a 20s Hollywood version of James West and Artemis Gordon. Battling insidious threats to the movie business . . . and the world!

Looking for furriners, eh? Well...

William Butler Yeates (Ireland) won the Nobel in Literature for his poetry in 1923.

Fritz Lang (Austria) director who made Metropolis in 1927. He could base it on things he heard from the club.

In 1914, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov (Russia) put out the word of his theory of "Conditined Repsonse", and teased a lot of dogs by ringing dinner bells.

Also, I forgot to include Edgar Rice Burroughs earlier in "writers". A lot of his stuff made publication in the 20's, and he could have gleaned some of it from the exploits of members of the club. And H.G. Wells. Now there's a guy, rife with plot leads, especially if he lends the team his time machine ;)

I once read a horror novel which starred both H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. They might have been surprisingly effective.

Though if they did join, Lovecraft would have had to play the Club-based Mycroft to Howard's two-fisted investigator. Hmm, maybe HPL and REH fought DEMON back in the 20's or even the early 30's?

Unfortunately, Allen Pinkerton (founder of the Pinkerton Detective Agency, the first private eye company) is before the Pulp Era. :(

Buffalo Bill Cody didn't die until 1917. Three months later "Diamond Jim" Brady died (millionaire, trencherman, and man-about-town).

Mustafa Kemal, founder of modern Turkey.

Aviator (and member of the US Army Air Corps) James H. Doolittle.

Charles Leonard Woolley and Howard Carter, UK archaeologists.

William Randoph Hearst, muckraking publisher -- some PCs might work for him.

Charles Atlas, of "97-pound weakling" fame.

Hugh Lofting, author of the Dr. Doolittle books. Since all (IIRC) of them were adventures in far-away lands, perhaps some of them are "real" places?

In the realm of semi-mystical/horror:

Lawrence Stewart Talbot -- AKA Larry Talbot -- AKA "The Wolfman"

(as portrayed by Lon Chaney Jr) :D

I can see him using his fortune to sponsor a variety of quests

"against the dark"....Provided he has defeated his own demons

that is....

-Carl-

Ned Buntline --- Prolific "dime novel" writer. Pretty much the inventor of the Western (as a genre), creator of the iconic figure of "the gunslinger," and portrayor of "lawmen" and "desperadoes." And he really did visit the West back when it was "wild."

William Tatem "Bill" Tilden, Jr. --- First American to win men's singles at

Wimbledon.

John Ray Dunning --- inventor of the cyclotron.

Edward R. Murrow --- Broadcaster and commenter on "the media."

Guest George Kirby

Females? Irene Adler, of course! Along with Nellie Bly, surely. Annie Oakley as well, in the early days, with Babe Didrickson (spelling) in the later days.

Jim Thorpe would a natural; not only is he an excellent athlete, but he had quite a few adventures in the wilds of deepest (bigoted) America in his day. Ditto Jack Robertson, Satchel Paige, and a number of others. In a similar vein, "The Babe"---Babe Ruth---would be a welcome addition.

Umm... not to be a wet blanket, but several of the people you mention would never be admitted into the Empire Club except as employees. Thorpe is an American Indian, Paige is black...

I once read a horror novel which starred both H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. They might have been surprisingly effective.

Though if they did join, Lovecraft would have had to play the Club-based Mycroft to Howard's two-fisted investigator. Hmm, maybe HPL and REH fought DEMON back in the 20's or even the early 30's?

Is that "Lovecraft's Book" by (I think) Richard Lupoff ?

I'm sure someone can come up witha Frenchman or two. To represent Australia I suggest "Snowy" Baker, multi faceted athlete (including boxing) !

Females? Irene Adler, of course! Along with Nellie Bly, surely. Annie Oakley as well, in the early days, with Babe Didrickson (spelling) in the later days.

Jim Thorpe would a natural; not only is he an excellent athlete, but he had quite a few adventures in the wilds of deepest (bigoted) America in his day. Ditto Jack Robertson, Satchel Paige, and a number of others. In a similar vein, "The Babe"---Babe Ruth---would be a welcome addition.

Umm... not to be a wet blanket, but several of the people you mention would never be admitted into the Empire Club except as employees. Thorpe is an American Indian, Paige is black...

Pulp Hero, page 155: "It also has no policy barring members of the non-white races from joining--..."

Admitedly, this is unusual for the time period (v. Pulp Hero page 18ff "Racism And Sexism In The Pulps"), but not very unusual; moves away from racism and sexism were made in many quarters throughout the era.

OTOH, looking at the sidebar on page 155, I have to suspect some of the potential members suggested (including by me) might have trouble meeting the requirement to "...have undertaken a journey of exploration, [or] been involved in some adventure..." However, the requirment to have "...otherwise attracted the attention of the Club for...derring-do and ammazing exploits...." is something of a catch-all, don't you know? So, I suppose quite a number of scientists, artists, and athletes might squeak in. ;)

Pulp Hero' date=' page 155: "It also has no policy barring members of the non-white races from joining--..."[/quote']

They mention the Empire Club in Pulp Hero? COOL!

To 'Fenrisulf" "Shadows End" or "Shadows Bend" ? Hmm I think that I might have that one too. Trade paperback (or at least larger than normal size paperback ) ? Mostly blue cover ? ( I haven't read it yet' date=' of course, wheras I HAVE read the Lupoff title that I mentioned !)[/quote']

You're right, it was "Shadow's Bend" My mistake, and thanks for the correction