Comics are getting too steamy...

orinmoon

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Comics are getting too steamy...

One issue of Firestorm (Vol. 2' date=' I think - don't ask me the issue number, I was dumb enough not to buy it) involved Killer Frost meeting up with a fire-based enemy of Firestorm's. They get to talking about their problems, particularly romantic, and realize they've got a lot in common, though from different angles: She can't even kiss a guy without freezing him solid, he can't touch a girl without reducing her to briquettes, and they suddenly realize "HEY! You're the perfect wo/man for me!" and they commence to making out, for the next two or three pages. It's as explicit as the editors would allow, and I honestly cannot see anything even mildly offensive in the presentation or artwork. They're even making serious, thoughtful, intelligent plans for giving up their villainous lifestyles now that they've found each other. Of course, Firestorm spots their quite spectacular display, shows up, and breaks up the "impending evil alliance." Should have left well enough alone...[/quote']

That probably had a lot of...Steam.

hi I just read the the first ten post and felt I had to state my opinion,

My kids 7 and 4 are starting to really like comics, but trying to find a recent comic which is not graphically violent or overtly sexual just ain't happening, Now don't get me wrong, I love mature themes in comics Astro City, Kingdom Come, the Invisibles just to name a few, but try finding a comic that has content on a "SPIDEY" level for young readers, it just doesn't exist. It's really sad, writers and the comic industry in general have forgotten that comics ARE or were written for preteens. They forget that there is still a large market for these "early" readers.

Sigh.

My local comics store has a shelf specifically for younger readers. They've got books like Owlie, Akiko, Archie, Asterix, Teen Titans Go!, and some other superhero books geared towards kids. Next time I'm in the store I'll try to remember to take a look at that shelf and see what family-friendly books they recommend.

It's really sad' date=' writers and the comic industry in general have forgotten that comics ARE or were written for preteens. [/quote']

SOME comics are, and should, be written for preteens. The idea that comics were strictly kiddie stuff was largely a bizarre American (and to a lesser degree, Western) cultural aberration. Manga do show it was never an universal assumption, and luckily, it is a mostly dead and buried meme. Kids should have comics that are suited to their age, burt the idea that comics should only be targeted to preteens was always as stupid as the idea that movies should only be targeted to teens or women. It is a fact that *superheroic* comics hve largely shifted their target age to adolescence, though.

They forget that there is still a large market for these "early" readers.

There is still plenty of publishers that cater to them. E.g. Disney stuff. It's just that superheroic comics have retargeted their main audience among teens and young adults. As far as I can see from my area, this has done no harm to the popularity of the medium: young pre-teens cater to their stuff (e.g. Disney, manga suited to young kids), then gradually shift to more "mature" stuff (superheroic comics and teen manga) just before or during adolescence.

My local comics store has a shelf specifically for younger readers. They've got books like Owlie' date=' Akiko, Archie, Asterix, Teen Titans Go!, and some other superhero books geared towards kids. Next time I'm in the store I'll try to remember to take a look at that shelf and see what family-friendly books they recommend.[/quote']

I was getting my daugher some of the Batman Adventures written for kids. While there was some good stories (better than the "mature" Batman), it was obviously written for pre-teens and companies do not support them longer than the toys they are based on sell at Wal-Mart. My son is now getting into comics and really other than Scooby-Doo what is there?

Maybe the writers have watched too many episodes of Sex in City and think that all that sells today. Forgive me while I start digging through old boxes in Comic stores for back issues when the good guys fought bad guys and there wasn't the immature bed hopping meldrama stolen from Melrose Place, Everwood, OC, or what ever trash passes for TV these days.

I was getting my daugher some of the Batman Adventures written for kids. While there was some good stories (better than the "mature" Batman)' date=' it was obviously written for pre-teens and companies do not support them longer than the toys they are based on sell at Wal-Mart. My son is now getting into comics and really other than Scooby-Doo what is there?[/quote']

From DC, there's Justice League Unlimited, The Batman Strikes, Teen Titans Go! and the upcoming Legion of Superheroes in the 31st Century. Plus, Cartoon Network Action Pack, which star Ben 10 just now.

From Marvel, there's Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four and Marvel Adventures Avengers. Plus some Power Pack stuff.

For your daughter, you might want to check out Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane from Marvel and see if you can track down Gotham Girls, a 5-issue series from DC featuring Batgirl, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Det. Renee Montoya.

Maybe the writers have watched too many episodes of Sex in City and think that all that sells today.

Or maybe they're writing the kind of things they've been hired to write by the editors/publishers. The truth is that the average comic buyer these days is much more likely to be between 18 and 35 than 8 and 15. For my part, I'm heartened by the fact that Marvel and DC are both doing more books aimed at kids than they were in the recent past.

Forgive me while I start digging through old boxes in Comic stores for back issues when the good guys fought bad guys and there wasn't the immature bed hopping meldrama stolen from Melrose Place, Everwood, OC, or what ever trash passes for TV these days.

While I would argue that not all superhero comics are quite as bad as you suggest, the back issue bins (and the trades collecting older material) are indeed a great resource.

Paul