sweep question

steph

Just for be sure.......can you make a sweep with two maneuvers or more : a character in my fantasy game got a whip in a hand and a broad sword in the other (the character got two weapon fighting and ambidextery) my question is can i sweep 3 times 1-make a grab with the whip 2- make a disarm with the sword 3- make a strike with the sword

in other words let figure i got a broad sword and i sweep 3 times can i make 3 differents sweep? like a disarm a strike and a lightning stroke or if i sweep is suppose to be with the same maneuvers

hope i am clear

english is not my first language

stef the french canadian

Re: sweep question

Just for be sure.......can you make a sweep with two maneuvers or more : a character in my fantasy game got a whip in a hand and a broad sword in the other (the character got two weapon fighting and ambidextery) my question is can i sweep 3 times 1-make a grab with the whip 2- make a disarm with the sword 3- make a strike with the sword

in other words let figure i got a broad sword and i sweep 3 times can i make 3 differents sweep? like a disarm a strike and a lightning stroke or if i sweep is suppose to be with the same maneuvers

hope i am clear

english is not my first language

stef the french canadian

Yes, this is possible.

The skill Two Weapon Fighting is a specialized form of Sweep combined with a limited form of Ambidexterity, and it allows for the use of two different weapons during a Sweep maneuver.

Different maneuvers are allowed to be used in a Sweep. There's also Multiple Power Attack as well.

When using multiple Martial Maneuvers together in a Sweep, the worse DCV penalty is the one that applies (they don't stack or cancel each other out...the worse one always applies). The OCV bonuses or penalties are unchanged.

Whether or not it's allows depends on if you allow Multiple Power Attacks. If you allow MPAs, and all of these are being performed on the same target, the Sweep maneuver is not necessary. You are just performing an MPA.

If MPAs are not allowed, or if these maneuvers are divided up among 2 or more targets, then you must use Sweep. As far as I'm concerned, if you can use you EB your RKA and your Flash all on the same targetin the same attack as a 1/2 Phase action at full DCV, you should be able to divide them up among several targets in the same Phase as well, but should take penalties for doing so (in this case, the penalties for a Sweep or Rapid Fire maneuver).

5ER (and 5E as well IIRC) specifically has an example of this. I believe it is something like a martial artist doing a Legsweep on one opponent and a Disarm on another. I allow it all the time in fantasy heroic games and it doesn't seem all that imbalanced.

BTW, I limit the number of Sweep/Rapid Fire attacks by allowing only a number that would reduce your Base OCV to zero but not below; so a character with a 20 Dex (Base OCV 7) could make 4 attacks as part of a Sweep/Rapid Fire, but a character with a 11-16 Dex (Base OCV 4-5) could make only 3 attacks. This seems to work as a reasonable cap. Only longrange characters well out of danger and HTH fighters in an obviously advantageous or desperate situation seem to wind up using these maneuvers anyway.

Good plan!

When I first read those rules in 5E, I was having nightmares of 'I sweep and autofire everyone with everything I've got.' Seemed way to over the top as written.

I think I read through it a dozen times before any of it seemed less GAK!-inducing....

Actually, the really disturbing one is Blazing Away. You have to decide how many attacks you are going to make up front, but that can be as many as you have End or Charges for. Now if your EB costs 0 End.... It's a little harder to figure out a limit on that one. I haven't actually run into this in a session yet, but this is the way my brain works. I think I will limit the number of shots to how many you could make using your choice of End/End Reserve if your power cost 1/4 End (or, if it is easier, four times the number you could make if it cost full End); the character doesn't actually spend the End, but that is the cap on the number of attacks.

Actually' date=' the really disturbing one is Blazing Away. You have to decide how many attacks you are going to make up front, but that can be as many as you have End or Charges for. Now if your EB costs 0 End.... It's a little harder to figure out a limit on that one. I haven't actually run into this in a session yet, but this is the way my brain works. I think I will limit the number of shots to how many you could make using your choice of End/End Reserve if your power cost 1/4 End (or, if it is easier, four times the number you could make if it cost full End); the character doesn't actually spend the End, but that is the cap on the number of attacks.[/quote']

OK I'll shoot him 2160 times, so I should get about 10 hits.....:D

Not easy - you should be able to empty a clip in 3 seconds for a lot of automatic weapons....for 0 END powers, well, maybe limit it to 10 shots for easy of use?

The problem is when the character is in an entangle they want to get out of: blazing away they HAVE to hit the entangle(there's nothing else to hit) so - bingo - they get out instantly.

That's obviously wrong, so I'd be inclined to say you can not 'blaze away' with a 0 end power - only with a power with charges. And you have to decide how many charges you are letting loose before you start.