telekinesis

steph

Re: telekinesis

A block is just a maneuver which is not depedent upon the strength or power of the character, so in that regard you can block whether you use telekinesis or not [or whether yout TK is 5 strength of 50]. I would allow the telekinesis block so long as the player was not confusing it with missile deflection.

Other than grab and strike the character can not use TK to perform any other combat manoeuvre, so sayeth the book.

So, no blocks with TK, I'm afraid.

Yes, the optional rules say you must pay the 3 points to be able to block with telekinesis, but my personal opinion is that if it fits the character and the moment then go with it. Sometimes you need to say "rules be-damned." :)

can you abort for block a attack on friends character with telekinesis

stef

If it's a dramatically appropriate time (Block or the PC is going to be badly hurt) I'd allow a character a DEX roll to try, if they fail they would loose their next attack as if they aborted.

Yes' date=' the optional rules say you must pay the 3 points to be able to block with telekinesis, but my personal opinion is that if it fits the character and the moment then go with it. Sometimes you need to say "rules be-damned." :)[/quote']

Sorry, Sean---

while I generally agree with most of your comments and ideas (at least, that I've read), I have to agree with Mitchell here.

Bluntly, a 'Block' is a mechanic. There are no real great definitions for how something is Blocked, or even that it is physically blocked as opposed to redirected or some such thing-- witness the conversation in the Feint thread.

With that in mind, it seems that as a raw mechanic for 'no, you didn't hit me,' that the game-version is pretty much just sfx. I'd be more than happy for a player to decide that he is blocking with his TK, even if he didn't _have_ TK as a power (well, I think you know what I mean here.) I'd be willing to allow a character to declare that he whips a stuffed purple monkey out of his pocket and uses that to block. It makes absolutely no difference.

Unless 5E specifically says that characters are using their STR to Block, I can't see what it hurts.

It's like Missle Deflection, as I understand it. Surely you've allowed a Brick to define his defection as "I just soak it without effect." I don't have any issue with working Block the same way.

And I agree with Mitchell on that 'rules be damned' comment. In fact, I've noticed that the more explicit the rules get, the more of them I have to ignore to continue enjoying the game. It's _my_ game, and my player's game. It doesn't need as much micro-managing as is now available.

Of course, if they all work for you (and I know better, you rascal; I've read your posts! ;) ), then by all means use them. I won't think one bit less of anyone who does than I do of anyone who doesn't. After all, it's _their_ game, too.

The difference to my mind is that what you don't need to use TK to block attacks that are coming at you: you can do that anyway. You'd be using this to block attacks on others without being in harms way which, it seems to me, is an enormously powerful ability. cf the cost of missile deflection at range.

It is one thing using tk offensively with manouevers at range, it is quite another using it defensively on behalf of another.

Part of the reason you can block in hth is that you are concentrating on stuff approaching you at speed, and react to it. It would be virtually impossible to even SEE all the attacks being thrown at another person, and I can not therefore understand how this can work.

As has been pointed out on the 'feints' thread and others, recently, block does not necessarily simply mean interposing a limb or weapon in front of an attack - it can also, or in addition, mean moving yourself. if you want to grab your friend and mvoe them, fine - but they will be subject to the rules for grab - reduced DCV and all.

You might as well ask 'can I dodge for another person'? it is a combat manouvre, so why not?

One other point that occurs: block requires no minimum strength. Would you be OK with this: 0 str TK (min cost 1 point) with (Line of sight, 0 end) 2 pointsonly to block (-1/2) cost 1 point? The point is the utility is not proportional to the cost, which rings alarm bells....

Mind you, it probably has to be a matter for individual GMs: if you think it is OK, and I can see how it could be quite heroic on accasion, then go for it. But don't say I did not warn you :)

I may have missed something in the thread. I was unaware that we were discussing using this to Block at Range.

Perhaps because it's 2 AM here; perhaps not.

But at any rate, I think I'll retire for the evening, and recheck this thread (if it is still active) when I get back after the weekend) before commiting myself further.

Y'all have fun!

I agree with Sean about the balance issues concerning TK to be allowed to block at range for other people. I disagree with the applicibility however, as it's just fine to Missile Deflect attacks aimed at other people, and you can, in fact, dodge for them (it's called a Grab By, or even DCV levels UAA/UBO). The point cost of minimum STR TK, however, causes balance issues.

As a rule, (an actually game rule even), TK can only perform the strike and grab maneuvers and no others. Additional maneuvers (standard, optional or martial) may be purchased for use with TK for 3 points, in addition to the cost of the maneuver (in the case of martial arts). Optionally, you can buy Ranged Martial Arts with TK and not have to spend the 3 points; the maneuvers work with the TK by default. But alas, there is no Ranged Martial Block maneuver.

I would simply suggest a minimum STR, similar in Active Cost to Missile Deflection, to be required for blocking (in addition for the 3 points spent). Noting wrong with that, as the book suggests minimum costs for some Powers without actually placing any for you. So it would be up to the GM to determine what value you'd need.

I agree with Sean about the balance issues concerning TK to be allowed to block at range for other people. I disagree with the applicibility however, as it's just fine to Missile Deflect attacks aimed at other people, and you can, in fact, dodge for them (it's called a Grab By, or even DCV levels UAA/UBO). The point cost of minimum STR TK, however, causes balance issues.

As a rule, (an actually game rule even), TK can only perform the strike and grab maneuvers and no others. Additional maneuvers (standard, optional or martial) may be purchased for use with TK for 3 points, in addition to the cost of the maneuver (in the case of martial arts). Optionally, you can buy Ranged Martial Arts with TK and not have to spend the 3 points; the maneuvers work with the TK by default. But alas, there is no Ranged Martial Block maneuver.

I would simply suggest a minimum STR, similar in Active Cost to Missile Deflection, to be required for blocking (in addition for the 3 points spent). Noting wrong with that, as the book suggests minimum costs for some Powers without actually placing any for you. So it would be up to the GM to determine what value you'd need.

Nice. Got me thinking: 5 point adder: can be used to block.

(the differenece to my mind about missile deflection at range is that there tends to be far more room to interpose than in a HTH battle where you probably can't even see al the moves unless you are directly involved. Still this is superheroes/magic: anything is possible if you accept the impossible :)

Personally I have no problem with idea that telekinesis can be used as a block. Saying a 13 year old girl with a 5 strength can block Grond's punch but Green Lantern can't with his telekinetic arm is foolish.

As far as blocking an attack on someone else, again, no big deal. If the player wants to abort his phase to save someone else from getting punched then to me that's a heroic action and worthy of the attempt. When a character is blocking he's not attacking so basically they balance each other out.

As far as needing an adder to block, as much as I love adders, the rules already tell you how to use telekinesis with block and I don't see any reason to buy an adder which costs more then how it's described to do it in the book [and costs more end to boot!].

Telekinesis is already an expensive power. Giving the players a little leeway with it is fine with me.

I allow the use of Telekinesis with normal combat maneuvers for free. I always have. In fact, I started a controversial thread about TK and Martial Maneuvers back on the old boards. Got pretty heated it did. I include Block as well.

To me, Telekinesis is simply STR with the Ranged Advantage added to it...thus the cost (1.5pts per +1 STR) minus the figured characteristics of course. It is the same as a Hand Attack or Hand Killing Attack that has the ranged advantage slapped on it. As far as I'm concerned, TK can do just about everything that STR can do...you can strike, grab, throw, choke, push, manipulate, Haymaker, Block, Wield a weapon, and everything in between.

I've allowed the use of TK with Martial Maneuvers for years, but in my games, TK uses standard Martial Maneuvers, not Ranged. (The way I see it, Luke and Vader use their TK power with the Choke Martial Maneuver) I also allow +1 Use Art with TK weapon element.

I can understand why some people might not want to allow this though, so if you want to control this somewhat in your campaigns, simply require that the TK also have Fine Manipulation before any Standard or Martial Maneuvers besides Strike and Throw can be used. Thus in order to be able to use TK to Block at range, it requires the +10 Fine Manipulation adder...

In any case, Range penalties apply to the characters OCV when attempting to block, so they need to be careful...

G'night, buddy!

Maybe they were not discussing using it at range, but it is a pointless discussion otherwise - you can already block at no range WITHOUT the TK :)

You're limiting your imagination a bit... (8^D)

I can see a real benefit in having a non-ranged Telekinesis block. Damage Shields!

A Telekinesis block may protect you from Damage Shield damage depending on the SFX involved.

Nothing further to say.

- Christopher Mullins