City of Heroes Power Builds

SirLordCoake

Hey Gang!

Sketchpad has allowed me to bring a CoH character into our Champions game, so I have been working on a few power builds from City of Heroes. I'm fairly new to Hero, and decided to bring the topic up for discussion... and hopefully for a little (all right, alot) of help. For most powers in CoH, the builds are fairly simple, but there are SOME that are turning out to be a little... wonky.

Red Zone is a 32nd level Emp/Rad Defender (Pinnacle Server), with the Teleportation Power Pool. Some abilities that I am having trouble with are Recall Friend/Foe, and Clear Mind, Regeneration Aura, and Recovery Aura.

I'm trying to stay as close to CoH builds as I can and maintain the power concepts of my character. Any ideas on the above powers, or any other powers from CoH? Any comments would be SO appreciated...

SLC

Re: City of Heroes Power Builds

Recall Friend/Foe should be fairly easy. Buy Teleport with "+1 Usable as an attack", and you have a fair chunk of it. IIRC, you have to buy Ranged as well.

Clear Mind would be probably a Mental Defence, Useable on Other, possibly with extra targets if you wanted it to be more than one person at a time. After all, the CoH effect is basically to make you more resistent to sleep, holds, etc - basically mental attacks.

Recovery Aura and Regeneration Aura are a little tricker. Since both speed up healing or endurance recovery, I suspect the best way is Aid (END or Stun, depending on power), with Area of Effect (radius, selective), Only to restore starting values. With Aid, however, the points would eventually fade, so Healing, AoE (radius, selective) is probably better.

Recall Friend/Foe should be fairly easy. Buy Teleport with "+1 Usable as an attack"' date=' and you have a fair chunk of it. IIRC, you have to buy Ranged as well.[/quote']Teleport friend is typically used to pull people you can't see from very far distances (or just around the corner). That's the tough part. You need a targeting sense of some kind to perceive the target, if you're trying to really simulate this. But at least you could heap on "only for targeting with teleport" as some kind of modifier on the sense.

Clear Mind would be probably a Mental Defence, Useable on Other, possibly with extra targets if you wanted it to be more than one person at a time. After all, the CoH effect is basically to make you more resistent to sleep, holds, etc - basically mental attacks.
Yeh, I figured Mental Defense or AID EGO.

Recovery Aura and Regeneration Aura are a little tricker. Since both speed up healing or endurance recovery, I suspect the best way is Aid (END or Stun, depending on power), with Area of Effect (radius, selective), Only to restore starting values. With Aid, however, the points would eventually fade, so Healing, AoE (radius, selective) is probably better.
Yeh, that's probably best.

The only problem with an AoE healing would be that it doesn't quite simulate those two powers, since they continue to heal for some time. Lacking a copy of FRED, I am unsure what "Decreased Re-use Duration" does exactly, but it seems to be that it speeds up the required time interval between heals on a target.

If so, you could buy that down to 1 turn, and as long as you kept using the power, people around you would keep healing. Of course, it would get expensive to have more than 1-2d6 in it, but it's going to be pretty impressive in combat.

could you use a modified version of mindlink to accomplish this instead?

you would need to be able to link with up to 8 minds the max on a team, and teleports etc are limited to the zone they are in, so that part of it would be limited to a couple of miles roughly

Team Chat: Mind Link , Human and Additional Class of Minds classes of minds, Specific Group of Minds, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x8) (45 Active Points); Custom Modifier (range limited to the zone your in; -1/4)

Clear Mind should also be a Dispel vs all Mental Powers

Regen Aura should be soemthing like this, though your allies have to touch you to use this verison:

60 Healing BODY 1d6, Uncontrolled (+1/2), BODY and STUN simultaneously (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (60 Active Points)

For Recall Friend, take Mind Link (up to 8 minds at once). All COH characters have this in one form or another. It's called Team Chat ;) Then buy Clairsentience that works through the mind link. Then let the Teleport target with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gang!

Thank you so much for the ideas and discussion! Using some of the ideas here, this is what I've decided to do. The character in COH was a Tech Defender, thus the OIF's.

Recovery Aura: Aid END 1d6, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (47 Active Points); OIF Durable Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Only Restores to Starting Values (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Regeneration Aura: Simplified Healing 1d6, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (57 Active Points); OIF Durable Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4)

Calm Mind: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) Dispel Mental Powers 10d6 (30 Active Points); OIF Durable Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Limited Power (Others Only; -1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus Dispel Entangle 10d6 (30 Active Points); OIF Durable Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Limited Power (Others Only; -1/2) (Real Cost: 13)

Team Link: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds: Super Group, Any distance, No LOS Needed (25 Active Points); Limited Power (Only Usable as Recall Targeting Sense; -2), Requires A Skill Roll: Healing Matrix (-1/2), IIF Fragile Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Surgically Implanted Microchip; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

Recall: Teleportation 1", No Relative Velocity, Increased Maximum Range (150"; +0), Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (30 Active Points); Target Only (Does Not Allow User Teleportation; -1 1/2), OIF Durable Expendable (Focus: Forearm TP Device; Difficult to obtain new Focus; -3/4), Can Only Teleport To Red Zone's Side Floating Fixed Locations (-1/2), Requires A Skil Roll: Healing Matrix (-1/2)

Please let me know what you think. Did I leave anything out? Thanks again!

SLC

• 9 months later...

I did some tinkering on power sets already' date=' heres my notes on the ideas I had[/quote']

The only modification I would suggest? A focus for the medicne power pools. All the other pools come from internal sources, but the Medicne clearly is a little tricorder thingie. No, its not huge - but it could shave a point or two off the costs.