Full Metal Alchemist

Super Squirrel

Re: Full Metal Alchemist

Cowboy Beebop had an ending I expected. FMA did not. The weirdest' date=' non-predictable ending I've seen for a series is Berserk. Both NGE and Lain seem tame in comparison.[/quote']

Well, CB's ending, while powerful, wasn't all that surprising, at least to someone who's seen enough Hong Kong "heroic bloodshed" films.

Samurai Champloo also has a somewhat unusual ending. Well, I thought so anyway. It certainly had me guessing as to how it was going to wrap up right up till the very end.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry' date=' what I meant was, FMA the anime doesn't end like [i']Cowboy Beop[/i] did, does it? With a punch to the gut?

(I don' think I've seen said wallpaper at 4chan... but i have seen some "XXX dies" pics, that make me wonder....)

If you wish to be spoilt about the anime series for FMA, I'll send you a PM.

The link I posted IS the Manga. readmanga.com is hosting the entire thing up to chapter 55 for free (they make money on the pop-ups no doubt). its fan-translation but for the most part it seems to be fine. I've only seen up to ep 3 in the Anime, but I've read enough spoilers to know the plot and it differs greatly from the Manga (and I mean greatly).

My conversion doesn't really include much in the way of spoilers yet as I haven't gotten into the whole Homunculus/Chimera/Philosopher's Stone Stuff, I'm a perfectionist so I want to make sure my base is solid before I move into all the crazy stuff

The link I posted IS the Manga. readmanga.com is hosting the entire thing up to chapter 55 for free (they make money on the pop-ups no doubt). its fan-translation but for the most part it seems to be fine. I've only seen up to ep 3 in the Anime, but I've read enough spoilers to know the plot and it differs greatly from the Manga (and I mean greatly).

My conversion doesn't really include much in the way of spoilers yet as I haven't gotten into the whole Homunculus/Chimera/Philosopher's Stone Stuff, I'm a perfectionist so I want to make sure my base is solid before I move into all the crazy stuff

I'm very anti-scanlation. Japanese mangaka have come out, vocally, against this practice, so I just wait until they're out in legal form.

Cowboy Beebop had an ending I expected. FMA did not. The weirdest' date=' non-predictable ending I've seen for a series is Berserk. Both NGE and Lain seem tame in comparison.[/quote']

I didn't see the ending of Bebop coming, but then, I haven't seen the ending, either. (Someone spoiled the ending on me.)

Berserk's ending wasn't that bad it just . . . wasn't much of an ending. Josh and I got to the end of it, stared at the screen for a while, then fast-forwarded to make sure there wasn't more of it.

There wasn't.

And yeah, in comparison, NGE's and Lain's ending were neatly wrapped up in a way that made perfect sense. :doi:

Wasn't you. It was about 2 years before I even knew the NGD existed.

Oh... I know I dropped the comment on these boards and someone read it.

However, taken in context, the ending of CB fits perfectly for the tone and style of the series.

Oh... I know I dropped the comment on these boards and someone read it.

However, taken in context, the ending of CB fits perfectly for the tone and style of the series.

Very likely, especially with the hints sprinkled about. At the very least, there's his vision in the mushroom episode . . .

Very likely' date=' especially with the hints sprinkled about. At the very least, there's his vision in the mushroom episode . . .[/quote']

There's also the strong HK Cinema feel. Basically, the perfect John Woo ending.

Sorry' date=' what I meant was, FMA the anime doesn't end like [i']Cowboy Beop[/i] did, does it? With a punch to the gut?

(I don' think I've seen said wallpaper at 4chan... but i have seen some "XXX dies" pics, that make me wonder....)

I'd rather not discuss it in any context on the forums because I don't want to say something that might spoil someone else. But if you want to know I can clarify some of my statement.

I'll send you a PM answering your question though.

And yeah' date=' in comparison, NGE's and Lain's ending were neatly wrapped up in a way that made perfect sense. :doi:[/quote']

See, now I'd previously looked at Kabbalism and Illuminati matarial for a fantasy campaign so the NGE ending actually did make sense to me :)

As to Lain - I've read quite a bit of Speculative Fiction short stories - that, and Terry Dowling, William Gibson and a few others - yeah it also made sense.

This is for a given value of "sense" of course :)

However - Berserk (the anime) started in the future, and then flash-backed to the life and upbringing of Guts - ending with a situation that left you with "okay, we've seen Guts in the future, how does he get there, from here?" which is annoyingly bad plotting.

See, now I'd previously looked at Kabbalism and Illuminati matarial for a fantasy campaign so the NGE ending actually did make sense to me :)

As to Lain - I've read quite a bit of Speculative Fiction short stories - that, and Terry Dowling, William Gibson and a few others - yeah it also made sense.

This is for a given value of "sense" of course :)

However - Berserk (the anime) started in the future, and then flash-backed to the life and upbringing of Guts - ending with a situation that left you with "okay, we've seen Guts in the future, how does he get there, from here?" which is annoyingly bad plotting.

Or rather, a rush job of an ending that was dropped like a hot potato when the time slot and merchandising weren't working out.

Just curious, for you Japan-stuff experts: Which came first with FMA, the anime or the manga? The anime is so well done that it feels like it's the principle creative product. But it wouldn't be the first time a good animation team all out for a popular manga (I'm thinking Inu Yasha here).

Just curious' date=' for you Japan-stuff experts: Which came first with FMA, the anime or the manga? The anime is so well done that it feels like it's the principle creative product. But it wouldn't be the first time a good animation team all out for a popular manga (I'm thinking [i']Inu Yasha[/i] here).

AFAIK, FMA the manga came first.

Hmm, I just noticed how much Anime has Kabbalistic references, (which is surprising considering that my father studied the Kabbalah extensivly). Neon Genesis made extensive References to it, to the point of being absurd, And in the Manga of FMA the "Doors" shown early on when Ed experiences the Gate are imprinted with the Kabbalistic Tree of Life. (at least I think its the tree of life...)

AliceTheOwl, as to your position on Scan&Tran Manga I can certainly understand I'd hate to have sombody just steal my hard work. I'll snoop around the site a little and see if they got permission to Translate and host it. I think they may have cuz the Scans don't look like everyday Home scans (no darkening where the page would have curved towards the spine.) It is possible they got permission form the Author, but not likely.

Hmm' date=' I just noticed how much Anime has Kabbalistic references, (which is surprising considering that my father studied the Kabbalah extensivly). Neon Genesis made extensive References to it, to the point of being absurd, And in the Manga of FMA the "Doors" shown early on when Ed experiences the Gate are imprinted with the Kabbalistic Tree of Life. (at least I think its the tree of life...)[/quote']

NGE is (IMO) a special case. But with regards to Kabbalistic references in anime, I think there's almost a "default" magic system at work, where many anime/manga use a Kabbalistic-styled magic system and/or symbols. Silent Mobius comes to mind as a prime example.

Well, it does provide a certain level of mystery in that its from a culture so far removed from there own. unlike the euro/american world where the major religion of the area was influenced by it.

It has the mystique and alien-ness of a fantasy, but the solid background you can only find in historical references.

AFAIK' date=' FMA the manga came first.[/quote']

I'll have to reread the liner notes from the DVD cases, but I think the director of the anime said that the manga was out, but not complete, so at a certain point the anime goes it alone. I have been watching the series as it comes out on DVD, and slowly reading the manga, its interesting to see the differences between the two, even the stories that are in both the manga and anime.

I'll have to reread the liner notes from the DVD cases' date=' but I think the director of the anime said that the manga was out, but not complete, so at a certain point the anime goes it alone.[/quote']

Heh, this is also why the Trigun and Akira anime are so different from the manga versions. Possible the same reason Hellsing the anime is completely at odds with Hellsing the manga.

Heh' date=' this is also why the Trigun and Akira anime are so different from the manga versions. Possible the same reason Hellsing the anime is completely at odds with Hellsing the manga.[/quote']

A lot of anime/manga series run into the same thing. The Fruits Basket manga is STILL running, but the anime ended a few years ago. The ending was satisfying enough for the anime, but I like the manga better.

Most series, as I understand it, are first manga before they're made into a series. In many cases, they keep the story fairly close to the manga, but in others, they're a rapid departure.

And speaking of rewrites - has anyone seen the new Hellsing series? It redoes the original anime stories. I've seen the first ep, and it's equivalent to the first 3-4 eps of the first anime. And they've changed the character of Seris Victoria, she's more vampire and less human. Also there are far more fight scenes.

And speaking of rewrites - has anyone seen the new Hellsing series? It redoes the original anime stories. I've seen the first ep' date=' and it's equivalent to the first 3-4 eps of the first anime. And they've changed the character of Seris Victoria, she's more vampire and less human. Also there are far more fight scenes.[/quote']

I really want to see the new anime. Apparently they are going straight from the manga (or close to it) so we get to the Nazi vampires of the Lost Battalion. Pity about Seras, though. Even in the manga she tries to be human (although not as desperately as she does in the anime). I hope she not done as simply some bad-assed vampire... she's the only sympathetic character in the series.

• 2 weeks later...