Sin City movie question

Badger

Not sure where this question goes, but I will try here. I finally got around to watching Sin City this weekend (one of the better movies I have seen in a while, by the way). After watching I am still a little confused about the tie in of the very first part before the opening credits. Who were the 2 characters supposed to be. The one played by Josh Hartnett (?) and the woman he killed. I dont have much previous knowledge of Sin City before watching the movie. And it is perplexing me. So I was wondering if any of the more knowlegeable Sin City fandom could help out. :o

Re: Sin City movie question

Not sure where this question goes' date=' but I will try here. I finally got around to watching Sin City this weekend (one of the better movies I have seen in a while, by the way). After watching I am still a little confused about the tie in of the very first part before the opening credits. Who were the 2 characters supposed to be. The one played by Josh Hartnett (?) and the woman he killed. I dont have much previous knowledge of Sin City before watching the movie. And it is perplexing me. So I was wondering if any of the more knowlegeable Sin City fandom could help out. :o[/quote']

The portion of the movie you are referring two was done as a short feature that Robert Rodreiguz (sp?) used as an example when he was trying to convince Frank Miller that he could do the movies "correctly".

He apparently shot these scenes and then met with Miller and used it to convince him to allow him to do the movie. According to some of the interviews it was also used to entice some of the other actiors to sign on.

The character Harnett plays is (I believe) from one of the other novels but has no direct importance in the 3 stories depicted in the movie itself.

Trevor

Not sure where this question goes' date=' but I will try here. I finally got around to watching Sin City this weekend (one of the better movies I have seen in a while, by the way). After watching I am still a little confused about the tie in of the very first part before the opening credits. Who were the 2 characters supposed to be. The one played by Josh Hartnett (?) and the woman he killed. I dont have much previous knowledge of Sin City before watching the movie. And it is perplexing me. So I was wondering if any of the more knowlegeable Sin City fandom could help out. :o[/quote']I haven't read the graphic novels, but what I took away from it was that:

The first scene was there only to set the tone for the movie and to establish that Josh Hartnett's character was a hitman (the woman he killed was just the "prop" to demonstrate this).

The last scene was to show that the Girls of Old Town settle their scores and that Alexa Bleidel's character didn't get away with being a rat.

TB

Thanks. I did figure out the basics of the last part. I figured if the one ratted them out survived that battle, she would have a short life expectancy in any case. So that one wasnt too confusing, so to speak. I didnt try to read into that too much. It was just the very first part that had me at the end thinking back going what that have to do with anything.

On another note: Seeing as how I heard about them staying pretty close to the original story. And how this was one that was actually good. Maybe this will be a lesson to Hollywood when it comes ot basing a movie off books and comics to stick to the original story...........

.......NAH! Hollywood could never figure that out.:thumbdown:rolleyes:

On another note: Seeing as how I heard about them staying pretty close to the original story. And how this was one that was actually good. Maybe this will be a lesson to Hollywood when it comes ot basing a movie off books and comics to stick to the original story...........

.......NAH! Hollywood could never figure that out.:thumbdown:rolleyes:

Robert Rodriguez used the actual comics as his storyboard. He filmed pretty much what was on the page. In Hollywood's defense, most comics aren't as cut'n'dried as Sin City and are much harder to storyboard.

But yeah, I feel ya.

Yeah, I do kind of get what you are saying Vanguard when it comes to comics. Some comics do have 40,50,60 years of continuity which would obviously be hard to do. Though they could still keep "in line" with it to some degree. Course with most books there is no such excuse. I have seen too many books made into movies that were practically alike in title only. It is just a case "if the story as is isnt good enough, why bother? But, then again some of those writers probably find it "easy". They can take said story, then put their own take (usually, though not always, worse) and turn it in with their name stamped on. Well, anyway that is a bit off-topic. Sin City was good, and should be a good example of how it should be done. Oh well.

Oh, crikey. Just had a brief terrifying thought slide through my mind. What if Rob Liefeld had been in charge of Sin City rather than Frank Miller. Wellp, no sleep for me tonight.:nonp:

Oh' date=' crikey. Just had a brief terrifying thought slide through my mind. What if Rob Liefeld had been in charge of Sin City rather than Frank Miller. Wellp, no sleep for me tonight.:nonp:[/quote']Marv with a bigger chest than Goldie (who has had a little work done herself I think)

ack... must... scrub.,.. brain...

Ok, not a big fan of anything Frankie has done in the last I-don't-know-how-many-years. I think he's gone from being one of the most talented people in comics to what he is today. I loathed Sin City, the movie, and from what I've seen would likely have the same response to the book. Utter, over-the-top, mindless, and yet at the same time pretentious, crap.

I say this not to belittle the movie or its fans. I'm glad they enjoyed it, and I'm glad it was made. It's just not for me. I say this, instead, so the meaning of my next statement will be perfectly clear.

But, really, Rob Liefeld? Ugh.

Well, to be fair, some parts made me cringe due to unbelievability. People jumping/falling off building tops and walking away. And Marv playing the role of the ball in car soccer as examples. Overall, I liked it. But it is cool, for people to not like. I hate the Matrix films. I mean HATE the Matrix films. And lots of people looke at me like I am crazy. Or more specifically, like I just committed blasphemy. Just, me no like.

Liefeld? Well sorry about that. Ever since they had that thread on Champions about how Liefeld screwed up Titans. I cant seem to get the man's work (more accurately trash) out of my head. Which makes me ask. Is there some medication I can take for that?:D Everything I see now, i think what would be like if Liefeld drew the story........please for the love of pete, someone help me:nonp:

I freely admit that I was overstating my distaste to make my position clear about Liefield. How the man continues to work is beyond me. The movie wasn't all bad, but it annoyed me at some points and seemed overly hyped. I also don't understand all the good reviews. But, oh well.

I hate the Matrix films.

The Matrix - I loved the first film.

Matrix 2 - I was fine with this film with the exception of the Zion Dance/Love Making Scene and part where the film was snipped and a TO BE CONTINUED... was displayed. I was disgusted with how this film finished up.

Matrix 2: The Ending - The film sucketh, IMO.

Sin City was fine. I knew nothing about the graphic novel but I figured out that the characters must be extraordinary in some respects to be able to take the punishment some of them were taking in the movie.

Sin City was fine. I knew nothing about the graphic novel but I figured out that the characters must be extraordinary in some respects to be able to take the punishment some of them were taking in the movie.

SIN CITY is full of very "over-the-top" action. Characters can take six+ slugs and live, others get hit by cars and walk off, others can walk along power lines and not slip, others are capable of shooting a sniper through his scope (and so on). The primary characters in the series all have... "superhuman" is too extreme... how about "highly cinematic" abilities and skills. It certainly is a great example of how to run a super-cinematic DARK CHAMPIONS game.

Some of the characters were a bit off the normal scale though, like Marv.

Personally, I thought the movie itself was kind of bleh -- the only part that I liked was Marv and thats mostly because Im a fan of Rourke. However the way the movie was filmed was very very cool. The black & white with splashes of color was very surreal and gave the movies bad plots and worse dialogue a bit of a lift.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't read the graphic novels either, but I checked out some out after the movie. The movie, I LOVED it. The characters are superhuman people, duh. They never mention it, but they are powered people, like an average Dark Champions campaign. I hope you all figured that out on your own heh.

In any case, Sin City is the epitome of Dark Champions in action.

Stating out Marv would look something like this: 30 - 35 STR, at least 7 to 9 Resistant PD, with Damage Reduction, Regeneration, and levels in HTH. All the main characters seemed to have at least some Resistant defense, if not Damage Reduction. They also all had above human strength (i.e. pushing a car uphill in the rain by yourself or punching a guys head to splatter).

Surbrook's Stuff is pretty cool! I think he's low on nearly every character but it seems popular to underplay everyone it seems. For example he has Dwight at 15 Str. Do you know anyone with 15 STR who can push a car uphill in the rain by themselves? Thanks for the site though, it's pretty cool.

Surbrook's Stuff is pretty cool! I think he's low on nearly every character but it seems popular to underplay everyone it seems. For example he has Dwight at 15 Str. Do you know anyone with 15 STR who can push a car uphill in the rain by themselves? Thanks for the site though' date=' it's pretty cool.[/quote']

15 STR is a dead lift of 440+ pounds. Pushing a car uphill in the rain might not be easy, but a 15 STR could probably manage it under Hero rules or in the real world (if real people had set stats).

That said, you can always change stats to fit your idea of how a character should work.