The Fox and Vixen

Mark Rand

The Fox and Vixen are a team of cat burglars. Although they dress in black from head to toe, and knock out, bind and gag their victims before stealing valuables, security tapes have caught them in action.

Their movements are graceful enough for them to be referred to as the Fred Astaire anf Ginger Rogers of cat burglars.

Both are soft-spoken and polite.

The Fox acts like David Niven in The Pink Panther. Vixen acts like a Southern belle.

They don't kill and do as little property damage as possible.

Their silenced pistols carry knockout darts.

The Fox is belived to be 6 feet tall. Vixen is to be 5 foot 6 inches tall and curvy.

Re: The Fox and Vixen

Okay,and you've posted this because...?

Not trying to be nasty, just wondering if there's more to all this.

I was hoping some of you could either elaborate on them or use a pair of classy master cat burglars in your campaign. They could also be the parents of any classy cat burglars in any campaign.

Are you looking for background material or write-ups? How much detail you need will depend on how prominently they figure into the campaign. You can even just use them as flavor. They don't operate in the PCs' hometown, but they make the news because the heroes in another city can't stop them. That can also be a future plot hook.

Another idea would have them be the parents of the burglar who works for the CIA. They trained her and are now retired or deceased. You won't need stats for this duo' date=' but they will add detail to your PC's background.[/quote']

Now, this is a great idea!

"We set you up, young lady, because we want you to work for us. If you don't, we'll kill your civilian identity off, then, arrest you, as a Jane Doe, for high treason and various other charges. After a show trial, you'll spend the rest of your life in the deepest, darkest hole we can find."

"If I agree?" she asked.

"You'll spend the next four years working only for us. We will, of course, provide you with a penthouse apartment, a respectable salary, a housekeeper, plenty of adventure, and the latest in high-tech toys. After those four years are up, you'll have an agency file under your real name and be able to transfer to any other agency you want."

"How will you know if I stray or go freelance?"

"We've inplanted a microtransmitter inside you," the reply came. "If you stray or decide to freelance, you'll be in Levenworth before you can blink."

"I see," she said.

"What do you say?"

"You have yourselves a cat burglar," Denise Dumont replied.

She spent the next six years spying and stealing for the CIA before a Congressional witchhunt forced her transfer to the DOSPA. She had more training before being assigned to the Champions as their federal liaison. Although they know she was a CIA agent before joining the DOSPA, they have no idea she's also a former cat burglar.

I think having them be a married couple is a good idea.

In the old movies, cat burglars often left some kind of calling card, in their case, business cards with their aliases on them. The Fox's is in regular type while Vixen's is in a script typeface. Experts would confirm that the cards are printed on regular business card stock and that the ink is the kind used for business cards.

If Denise is their daughter, she'd leave cards behind, too. I'm not sure of her alias, but the top five in my mind are Black Cat, Black Ghost, Kitten, Madam X, and Princess.

Good ideas thus far. If you haven't seen it already, you should watch "To Catch A Thief" with Cary Grant to get a good feel for the whole 'gentleman thief' feel. That's the first thing I thought of when I read this.

Oh, and I like 'Kitten' for the daughter's "working" name, or maybe 'Princess'. It sounds like a continuation of cute family nicknames.

Good ideas thus far. If you haven't seen it already, you should watch "To Catch A Thief" with Cary Grant to get a good feel for the whole 'gentleman thief' feel. That's the first thing I thought of when I read this.

Oh, and I like 'Kitten' for the daughter's "working" name, or maybe 'Princess'. It sounds like a continuation of cute family nicknames.

I recorded To Catch a Thief off the air several years ago and plan to replace that VHS tape with a DVD.

Right now, Black Cat is at the top of the list for Denise's "working" name. It continues the tradition of animal names and works well with Champions technical manager/ninja Keiko Nakamura's alias of Black Scorpion.

Oops, I goofed. Kitten would be best for Denise's cat burglar alias. Black Cat would be her CIA code name, which she still uses with the Champions.

Two other possible hooks:

1. The parents are still active, just being very discreet. Somehow, for some reason, they decide that they need to pull one final, spectacular heist before giving up the game forever. Is Kitten willing to help take down her parents?

2. Since Kitten has been working as a secret agent, nobody outside the CIA knows she's gone straight and many of her crimes are still listed as "unsolved". What if there are foreign police agencies still trying to track her down, or an obsessed police inspector or Interpol agent who is still on the trail? This would be the perfect setup for introducing a Clouseau or Zenigata type into the campaign -- or the Inspector could turn out to be frighteningly competent as well as determined. His emergence could well bring out Kitten's latent love of the chase, with all the complciations that implies.

Good plot hooks from Michael Hopcroft. Thank you.

Denise and her family leave business cards with their aliases on them where they pulled jobs. She sometimes did this while working for the CIA, too.

It is possible that her parents, or someone who knows that Denise Dumont is Kitten, saw her with the heroes. If they found out, Fox and Vixen wouldn't pull off a job, let alone a final, spectacular one, where she'd forced to choose between them and her new employers.

As far as the second plot hook goes, since Kitten's black cat burglar garb included leather gloves and a ski mask, it would be quite hard to tell what she looked like. I seem to recall a situation like this appearing on an episode of the first season of Acapulco H.E.A.T. Catherine Avery "Cat" Pascal had to contend with a police officer going after her. It ended up with her saving him from international weapons smugglers and him being happy that she'd gone straight.

It is possible that her parents, or someone who knows that Denise Dumont is Kitten, saw her with the heroes. If they found out, Fox and Vixen wouldn't pull off a job, let alone a final, spectacular one, where she'd forced to choose between them and her new employers.

That restriction does not hamper copy-cats, though, which would be if anything more dangerous. Someone who imtiates the M.O. of Fox and Vixen to a good enough level is going to inevitably cause a lot of problems for Kitten!

That restriction does not hamper copy-cats' date=' though, which would be if anything more dangerous. Someone who imtiates the M.O. of Fox and Vixen to a good enough level is going to inevitably cause a lot of problems for Kitten![/quote']

Good point.

Fox and Vixen, either together or separately, have trained about twelve cat burglars, including Denise (AKA Kitten). All of which are family. They all know Fox and Vixen's M.O. and, to some extent, copy it.

If there's a copycat, her family, who want this rat caught even more than she does, may even cooperate with their daughter on this case.

It looks like you have some T.H.E. Cat, the Return of the Pink Panther, and The Thin Man thrown in to these two characers, also. You might consider posting this on the Pulp Hero discussion board, as well.

ME:cool:

How do I do this? I've never cross-posted before.

Just post this your idea on the Pulp Hero forum. Or you can copy the link to this page, start a new thread on the Pulp Hero board and paste the link in the body of the post.

Sorry if this isn't coming across too clearly; I've had a long day.

Thanks. Should've thought of that myself.

• 5 months later...