Need another 10 points in Disads--help!

Speedball

Re: Need another 10 points in Disads--help!

You really need to get over yourself, and keep up with your medication.

You disected my post paragraph by paragraph...and that said to me you were trying to flex your "Reputation Muscles"...and put me in my place!!! I only tried to give my opinion...and you blasted me for it!!!

You do know that Negative reputation can no longer be given out, right? My "reputation muscles" mean only as much as you let them. Technically, I have more 'rep' (last I checked) than Steve Long, and that should show how little rep means when it comes to 'muscle' on the boards.

As for the rest, you think I blasted you, I think I first merely gave counterpoints on why I thought they worked. I think you were acting snidely, and ignoring the request on top of that, and you claim you were just trying to get someone to "think". I guess this is where we agree we disagree.

Or so I hope.

If not, like I said, please take it to the NGD and we can spar there since the subject is now our mutual behaviors and not a gaming topic.

EDIT: And thanks to Speedball for being such a class act through out.

You do know that Negative reputation can no longer be given out' date=' right? My "reputation muscles" mean only as much as you let them. Technically, I have more 'rep' (last I checked) than Steve Long, and that should show how little rep means when it comes to 'muscle' on the boards.[/quote']

Point taken...and yes it's still higher than Steve Long's:thumbup:

If not' date=' like I said, please take it to the NGD and we can spar there since the subject is now our mutual behaviors and not a gaming topic.[/quote']

If we take it to the NGD, what fun would that be?

OUR POSTS DON'T COUNT THERE...:idjit:

Point taken...and yes it's still higher than Steve Long's:thumbup:

Great, now I feel guilty and feel I should rep Darren and Steve in a futile effort to bring some justice to the boards ;)

If we take it to the NGD, what fun would that be?

OUR POSTS DON'T COUNT THERE...:idjit:

Well, there IS that. But some might argue they don't really count much period. :)

Besides, I find WWYCD threads and answering the "I need a name" threads with like ten seperate posts (1 name for each) works wonders for raising post count...

Err, not that I condone that. :o

Great' date=' now I feel guilty and feel I should rep Darren and Steve in a futile effort to bring some justice to the boards ;)[/quote']

:rofl::rofl:

Well, there IS that. But some might argue they don't really count much period. :)

Besides, I find WWYCD threads and answering the "I need a name" threads with like ten seperate posts (1 name for each) works wonders for raising post count...

Err, not that I condone that. :o

MMMM...I never even thought of that...:hush:

Lastly...

DUMP THIS CHARACTER!!! To me this isn't a character...but a string of compromises that you felt you could live with. What's his motivation? OH, that's right. How would he know...he has Amnesia!!!:doi:

All of these Disadvantages...make no sense. Give me a good character concept, with motivations and depth...not munchkinism and compromise.

[/i]I know that I am not being much help...and for that I am sorry. I just couldn't keep quiet on this one...it just wouldn't feel right. As a long time GM...I couldn't let this go. I feel that strong about this one.

No, you aren't much help. Since the Disads don't make sense, why not ask? Is that too much, or do you prefer to jump to conclusions?

The Disadvantages aren't the character concept, that would fall to the Background which most people recognize as only a snippet being provided.

OK...But I'll throw in an additional "two cents", at no additional charge...

The critique that I provided was based on what I saw, and the information that Speedball had provided.

I stand by my evaluation...because it was based on what was provided to me, and not the additional information that you possessed alone. Had I known that additional information, I believe that my response would have been quite different...wouldn't you agree?

With what I've seen from you, I wouldn't agree.

If somebody wants an informed opinion...inform me of ALL THE DETAILS' date=' not just "bits & pieces" of the puzzle. I'll be able to give a better position and aid...and not incur the wrath of the "Flag-Waving Super-Patriot of the Hero Boards" because I critiqued one of his players questions. Just accept the critique at face value, based on the players submission to the Hero Boards...and not on the additional information that [u']only[/u] you possess!!!

He wasn't asking for an opinion. He was asking for help, which would be provided in the form of suggestions. A suggestion like "Use this disad to finish off your 10 points" not "All of these Disadvantages...make no sense. Give me a good character concept, with motivations and depth...not munchkinism and compromise."

I don't think that you are being very objective...nor very fair!!!

Oh, the irony! :rofl: A huge case of the pot calling the kettle black!

'Nuff Said!!!

If this were only the truth; however, we know it's not, because you've responded three times already. :stupid: I'm sure more will follow.

*sigh*

As the original poster who asked for help, I'm now going to ask you folks--all of you, to just walk away from the thread. I thank all of you for any well-intentioned advice, no matter how it was perceived. In the end, we're trying to play a game here, have some fun, and not hurt anyone in the process. As for whether or not my own feelings were hurt or my sensibilities offended, well, I'll just say that I'm a New York City public high school teacher. You don't have to worry about me.

I'm not the most experienced HERO Gamer on the boards, obviously, but I've been around the block and don't really really consider myself a munchkin gamer. If anything that was posted pointed to that, I hope that it was because of a misunderstanding.

Now--can we get back to the fun part?

Dude don't worry about it. It was an honest question and it was a fair one too. I hope I didn't give you the impression that you were munchkining. Character actually looks like fun to play.

And don't worry about posts. Some folks are "passionate" about their posting, but thats what makes it interesting. :thumbup:

Hopefully some of these posts helped. :)

*sigh*

As the original poster who asked for help, I'm now going to ask you folks--all of you, to just walk away from the thread. I thank all of you for any well-intentioned advice, no matter how it was perceived. In the end, we're trying to play a game here, have some fun, and not hurt anyone in the process. As for whether or not my own feelings were hurt or my sensibilities offended, well, I'll just say that I'm a New York City public high school teacher. You don't have to worry about me.

I'm not the most experienced HERO Gamer on the boards, obviously, but I've been around the block and don't really really consider myself a munchkin gamer. If anything that was posted pointed to that, I hope that it was because of a misunderstanding.

Fun? What do you think this is a GAME!?!?! Is that it? Well have I got news for you mister!!!

No, no, wait, no your right, it's a game. My bad. :o

Well, if you decide not to entirely go the mystery disad route, you could take a Susecptibility (with Mental Illusions as the effect) to represent something similar... flashbacks triggered by when he encounters things that break loose a fragment of lost memory.

Here's my view. Stop scrabbling around for a non-character inspired disadvantage just to gain 10 extra points. Reduce a characteristic. Put on some END penalties. Get rid of a power altogether (there's always XPs, so get it later). It's this sort of points-searching approach that HERO encourages and that has led me to prefer SAS's alternative of offering marginal benefit for disadvantages.

Ben' date=' the original poster is through with this thread. Can it be locked?[/quote']

Censorship! Censorship! How dare you deny me my fifth amendment rights to say what I like about disadvantages in the HERO system!?

So what if I'm British and it's not even my fifth amendment? I'll use it if I like... *sulk*

Censorship! Censorship! How dare you deny me my fifth amendment rights to say what I like about disadvantages in the HERO system!?

So what if I'm British and it's not even my fifth amendment? I'll use it if I like... *sulk*

I'm Canadian myself. I believe the US 5th Amendment is the right to avoid self-incrimination.

Mayhap you are referring to the 1st amendment which involves free speech?

Kirby...I had already apologized for my actions...do you need to beat me up further?:whip:

For the sake of clarification, can you point out to the readers where it was that you issued an apology? I may have missed it, in which case *I* apologize.

Please understand, I'm not interested in stirring up any hornets' nests. I think part of the continued problem is the lack of clarity in our writing. (Having spent the last 3 hours reading essays, writers' clarity is on my mind at the moment).

(Having spent the last 3 hours reading essays' date=' writers' clarity is on my mind at the moment).[/quote']

Gah. And you haven't turned into a foaming, wanton homicidal maniac? You, sir, are an acme of tolerance and restraint. :straight:

Kirby...I had already apologized for my actions...do you need to beat me up further?:whip:
For the sake of clarification, can you point out to the readers where it was that you issued an apology? I may have missed it, in which case *I* apologize.

Please understand, I'm not interested in stirring up any hornets' nests. I think part of the continued problem is the lack of clarity in our writing. (Having spent the last 3 hours reading essays, writers' clarity is on my mind at the moment).

Here was the apology...located in Post #25 of this thread.

Speedball...if you felt that I was blasting you' date=' I am sorry.:( It was not my intention to hurt...only to critique, get you to think deeper about concept...and then search for the needed 10 points of Disadvantages. If you were hurt by me...I wish that you would have said something first...and not [i']Hermit[/i]. I would have respected that greatly.

By Hermit calling me on it...all that it did was inflame the situation...and provoke a response in kind...as I mentioned earlier in my post.

I'm sorry you missed it...From now on I'll have to put all apologies in BOLD TYPE from now on.;)