DANCE, You Varmit!

How do you simulate the "pot shots at the feet get them a'moving" schtick? A Pre Attack or Mind Control? A player brought me a Usable on Others, 10" Running, Ranged, Not Vs. Fully Resistant Def in his gun multipower which just seems strange since this would get Godzilla to move if he didn't have every point of PD/ED resistant and even if the UOO Not Vs. X conditions were expanded this would still make snail suddenly very fast. I want to tell him no but I want to give him an alternative. He at first wanted a DEX-based Mind Control (that I couldn't even get my head around).

First, I would ignore anything about trying to actually hit. Make it Mind Control, but perhaps something like "Ineffective if PRE or DEF over 20 (-1/2)". Give him Does Not Give Mental Awareness, also. Possibly have "Requires Skill Roll" to reflect him shooting, if you're looking to shave points. Of course, Single Command Only (Dance!!).

How about some extra 5pt skill levels to his RKA, with the limitation "Attack Automatically Misses if Target Dances" (-1), "Reduced Penetration (attack is at the feet)", and "Defense Must be Announced" (-2)? Super tough dudes can choose to ignore it, wimps do so at their own peril.

It's a minor power (at least in campaigns I'm imagining), so it really shouldn't cost a ton.

I would consider this to be an action similar to Covered (and would require the character to use Covered modifiers if trying to set this up). In this instance the person being shot at is Covered with a hit location to the lower legs or feet. The only way to avoid getting shot is to "dance." If the character stops using his phases to dance he takes a hit.

To be honest though this is really more of an effect of someone not wanting to be shot rather the person shooting trying to hit or miss. In games, PCs have a tendency to just take the hit and then kill the badguy (knowing that a leg/foot shot will probably only do 1-3 BODY). In reality no one would want to get shot because they know they might loose the leg/foot, or at the very least be laid-up for several days/weeks. If the players are really wanting to play in genre, then the person being shot at would dodge/dance to keep from being hit.

Sounds like just aimed shots at the feet while the target Dodges. The "dancing" is what trying to dodge shots aimed at your feet looks like.

Arrrgghhh!! Stop trying to define everything as a Power! That limits the game incredibly! It deactivates one of the best aspects of an RPG (I can have my character try to do anything) and turns it into "is it defined on the sheet"?

Hero is great at defining ANYTHING in terms of points. That does not mean that EVERYTHING should be defined with points!!

Originally posted by Arthur

Sounds like just aimed shots at the feet while the target Dodges. The "dancing" is what trying to dodge shots aimed at your feet looks like.

Arrrgghhh!! Stop trying to define everything as a Power! That limits the game incredibly! It deactivates one of the best aspects of an RPG (I can have my character try to do anything) and turns it into "is it defined on the sheet"?

Hero is great at defining ANYTHING in terms of points. That does not mean that EVERYTHING should be defined with points!!

Bravo! Well spoken. I see too many posts on the forums where something simple can be done either by special effects or what JmOz suggested and instead, an incredibly complex power is created. It's not always needed or necessary.