Two Annoying Power Builds

Re: Two Annoying Power Builds

I've done a really uber version of Traceless Powder. You throw it into a room you've just been to, and it makes the room look exactly the way it was before, when in reality you may have ransacked it completely. Images vs. Sight, Touch, and Hearing, 0END, Uncontrolled(deactivated when somebody realizes it's false). The powder would create a self-perpetuating phantasm of the room, which would remain until somebody caught onto it, at which point it would break.

I don't know how it works on your side of the pond, Amigo--

but I had to laugh at this! Over here, horns are for shoes. "Boothorns" are called "spoons."

we know return you to your regularly scheduled construct brainstorming... :D

Over here, 'spoons' is something you don't need boots for at all. Well, maybe kinky boots. :)

I'm surprised no one has suggested EDM yet. Only a matter of time...

One point: I'm not keen on an 'Untrackable' power: I'd want some way around it

You've got the Hero absolute-phobia don't you? I suffer from it myself.

I'd probably go with the levels option - though I'd also probably ignore the fact that the system doesn't have negative levels that would affect anyone trying to read tracks where the dust was sprinkled...

I'm surprised no one has suggested EDM yet. Only a matter of time...

Indeed!

So far, we've had Desolid and T-form. Why not go for EDM, and thus achieve the Trifecta of Cobble? ;)

Seriously though--

I was under the impression that 5E allowed for negative skill levels....

I was rather happy when I discovered this (though it seems I may have found some sort of Gamer's Pyrite); we'd been using something like them since way back. It was one of the things I liked in 5E.

If it was in fact ever there, that is....

No;

not at all. In all honesty, it was not intended as a reference to any specific person or incident. I was merely commenting on the tendancy of all of us-- myself included-- to occasionally get lost in the details of a build. The trend toward 'exactitude' can quite often move the construct away from the original purpose.

That's all.

Oh, wait---

did you mean the 'Trifecta of Cobble' thing?

Well, no, that wasn't directed at anyone or anything-- well, not too much at anything. Certainly not at any person, on this board or otherwise. It was meant as both a joke and a perhaps-unwise venting of my own opinion that too often these three are used as 'cop outs' for constructs. 5E, in my own admittedly-biased opinion, has made an absolute mockery of Desolid.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :shock:

Where to run? Where to RUN?!!!!

Like me... just leave and don't return. :)

I used the Transform method because it was the only power build that explains the ability to be able to erase older tracks. I just remembered that there was a variable shape Area of Effect and did that with Selective. That does the trick nicely.

I toyed with AoE: Line for my suggestion, but abandoned it. Why? Because you won't always be moving in a straight line; you'd actually need AoE: Any (so you could just target the hexes where you've been) but that got too expensive for my taste. AoE: Radius does not only your trail, but everything else's trail in the vicinity, sure...but it'll get the job done.

Besides, another problem with "AoE: Line" ---

"No, there are no tracks, m'lord...in fact, by scouting back and forth across this area, I've determined there is a straight line...a path, if you will...where there are no tracks at all, not even game trails. In my opinion m'lord, as your Master of Hunters, this straight line with no tracks is of sorcerous origin and points straight toward the direction our quarry was headed. They're headed into Trellshire, and probably for the town of Burlington...it's almost directly in the path of this 'line'."

:sneaky:

Whatever. A trail is more or less a line, though one with some turns. It's not like it is a combat power, so I'd think we could tweak our interpretation a little to make it work the way our common sense tells us. If we wanted to use AoE: Any I'd think we could conceal a whole campsite instead of a limited stretch of trail by distance. I think AoE: Line makes it interesting, so everyone has to walk single file for a while, for example, in order to make it effective with a single casting. We could certainly have more complicated spells/items that would be more versatile.