Two Annoying Power Builds

I'm on part 2 of my quest to build a ton of magic items. I have two power builds that are a little complicated compared to the others.

One of them is Traceless Powder. When you sprinkle the powder, it makes any tracks you have left disappear. For this, I think it is either Invisibility to Touch, Fuel Charge, Gestures Throughout, Concentration or Cosmic Transformation, Continous, Fuel Charge, Gestures Throughout, Concentration. But I'm open to your ideas and input on this.

The other power is a scroll of Detect Intruder. Much like the Alarm spell, this sets up a perimeter than, when breached, notifies the person who set it up. Reading of the scroll activates the power and destroys the scroll. I have a couple of minor ideas for approaching this but nothing solid to put down at this time.

Re: Two Annoying Power Builds

For the Traceless Powder, I'd either use a Transform (area with tracks -> area without tracks, "heals" back by making new tracks in the area) or Change Environment with the Permanent Adder. You can either call it a flat CE, or treat it as minuses to Perception Rolls for Tracking, in which case you'd have to pay for each -1. If you would be inclined to go that route, the Transform would probably be the better bet.

Edit: something like --

Traceless Powder: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (Area with tracks into area without tracks, Heals back by making new tracks in the area), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (16" Radius; +2); 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Minute (-3/4), No Range (-1/2) 20 Active Points, 9 Real

You said you wanted to wipe out existing tracks, which is why I suggested one of these two approaches. If you want to keep from making tracks in the first place, I'd go with one of the Gliding suggestions below. I don't know if this is intended to be a one-use non-recoverable (i.e. consumable) item or not, or something a character can make new batches of when they need to. If it's a one-shot, tack on OAF Powder and make the Charge a Never Recovers type.

I settled on Cosmetic Transform because you're really not altering the properties of the soil, just how it looks. It's still the same soil it was before, just with the tracks erased.

For the "Detect Intruder", well...Detect as a Sense, 360 degrees, Area of Effect, with some major pluses (like +5 or +10) to the roll so there's no way they'd not notice an intruder. It'd be in an expendable Focus, or 1 Continuing Charge, take your pick. You'd also need Incantations, Only to Start no matter which way you went.

Edit: here's my stab at a "Detect Intruder" scroll --

Detect Intruders: Detect A Large Class Of Things 21- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Uncontrolled (+1/2); Extra Time to scribe scroll (1 Hour, -3), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 6 Hours which Never Recovers (-2), OAF Scroll Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; -1 1/2), Concentration (0 DCV while scribing scroll; -1/2), Incantations [read scroll aloud to activate power] (-1/4) 48 Active, 6 Real

This is built more or less the same way that some of the example potions (like 5Er, p. 270 sidebar) are built. The character using the scroll only needs to read it aloud when activating it; the limitations of Concentration and Extra Time reflect the time and concentration necessary when the person creating the scroll creates it. I considered adding Gestures (inscribing the mystical sigils of the spell on the scroll) but for some reason that felt like "too much", so I didn't; you may disagree and want to add it in.

I made it the "Unusual" sense group, so it doesn't depend on being able to hear or anything like that...so a silent creature (or a silence spell cast on the area) wouldn't keep the spell from detecting an intruder. Likewise for sight, etc. Of course, not being part of a Simulated Sense Group, that meant needing to add on Range to the Sense or it wouldn't do any good. The 360 arc of course makes it cover the area (you can't actually add Area of Effect to a Sense because it doesn't target anyone or anything). Normally that would mean you'd be able to make perception rolls at greater and greater distances, just at a Range Modifier to the roll. I'd just hand-wave that and say the Sense is effective at X range and no further, and that it has its full perception roll at that distance and no roll at all at more than that distance.

I also made it Uncontrolled so that once the character starts it, he can go to sleep without the power shutting off, and thus he can be awakened by a successful Perception roll because the power's still active. I bought +10 to the Perception roll with this power, giving a Perception roll of 21- to someone with an INT of 10.

Trackless Stride - OAF powder, Extra Time 1 phase, 1 continuous fuel charge lasting 1 hour that never recovers.

With this you can spend time covering your tracks with the powder, for up to 1 hour before the powder is used up.

Detect Intruder - Mind Link, Triggered by someone crossing the predefined perimeter, transmit only, only to deliver the warning alarm message, 1 continuing charge lasting 8 hours that never recovers, OAF scroll.

You are voluntarily setting it up, so Mind Link is allowed, in my mind. Otherwise maybe Telepathy if the GM disapproves of Mind Link used in this way. If you want the warning to be audible, simply make it a Voice on a Trigger, set effect, etc.

Helimar

For the traceless powder why not just use Gliding; Only on a surface. You won't leave tracks that way. Or if you're willing a bit of handwave ... Desolid: only for movement (-2).

As for the Detect, Dr. Anomaly pretty much covered it. Or at least, I don't have better/other ideas.

The only problem with the Detect Intruder idea is that the power is a bit more complicated. The spell is used for things like camps. So the person who activates the power needs to be notified and may be asleep. It has to take that into consideration.

The Uncontrolled, along with the high bonus to the roll, should take care of that. According to the entry for Lightsleep, someone normally has to make a Hearing Perception Roll at a -6 modifier to hear someone entering the room in which they're sleeping. If you apply a similar modifier here (the person who activated the spell off the scroll, and thus the one who'd get the 'alarm', is asleep) then it'd still leave a Perception roll of 15- in order to notice the intruder while asleep (also assuming the person who'd get the 'alarm' has an INT of 10).

If that's not good enough, up it to 25- which, after the -6 for being asleep, is still a 19- on the Perception roll to notice the 'alarm' as an intruder enters the area. This brings the Active cost to 54, but leaves the Real cost at 6.

Oh, and if you're worried about tents, trees, or other solid objects blocking the Perception, add the 10 point adder "N-Ray" to the Sense. With a Perception roll of 25-, that brings the Active cost to 69 and the Real cost to 8.

Or am I missing something that should be obvious, and I'm just not 'getting it'? :think:

I made slight changes to the powers Dr. Anomaly gave me. Here are the links for the final powers if you are interested. Thanks Dr. A!

Traceless Powder

http://aldaric.com/easthaven?type=item&keyword=powder1

Detect Intruders Scroll

http://aldaric.com/easthaven?type=item&keyword=scroll3

I made slight changes to the powers Dr. Anomaly gave me. Here are the links for the final powers if you are interested. Thanks Dr. A!

Traceless Powder

http://aldaric.com/easthaven?type=item&keyword=powder1

Detect Intruders Scroll

http://aldaric.com/easthaven?type=item&keyword=scroll3

I know I'm a bit late, but....

1. Traceless powder: I really think this is better done with a change environment. The problem with a transform is that you need to roll 'virtual damage' which will vary considerably by environment, and is a bit of a handwave mechanism given that would be considerable for a 16" radius area (so presumably you want to be covering a LOT of tracks), as is the 'healing' mechanism suggested. Change environment seems to do exactly what you want (to my mind). You can apply a PER modifier to make the tracks difficult to see rather than completely disappear OR I'd be happy enough (given that one of the example stated effects is making all the plants in the area bloom - a bit of an ad-hoc one that....) I'd be happy enough to say that it simply prevents tracks from ever appearing, and never re-appeared all for about 5 points, the logic being for 5 points you could cause a point of damage and so for the same value you could prevent it, and leaving tracks is really just very minor damage to the environment: in effect you are slightly armouring the surfaces you walk on and the plants you brush touch against your passage. that does work out a point more expensive though.

One though occurs to me: whatever version you use, someone with detect magic could track the user of the powder :) Or, if you used transform and it removed all tracks, the LACK of tracks in an area might be detectable by a skilled hunter....CE, as defined above, would leave original tracks in place and just prevent new ones being laid down.

2. Intruder scroll: I am not sure you need uncontrolled: that is usually only used when you are employing an END using power. I'd think persistent more appropriate, even though it is the same limitation. To be honest you don't even need that, especially as you are applying a substantial penalty for being asleep - senses do not switch off when you are asleep.

The other thing is you would only be able to use this in the area immediately around you. That may be the effect you want, but you can't, for instance, set it to 'alarm' a door, or your keep at home: for that you'd need clairsentience. Also it will need some careful definition as to what an intruder is: anyone you don't define: it can't be 'motivation' based, really? At present (unless you limit it somehow) it is going to detect every intruder at whatever range you can sense at. You can limit it to 'only when crossing a certain point' - but then you only get the one PER roll, and if they sneak past, you won't notice.

Also the costs seems out: 10 point detect + 5 for 360 arc, +5 for range +2 for sense, +1/2 advantages and -4 1/2 limitations. I suspect you are unnecessarily buying the more expenive versions of arc and range - for a whole sense group. I wouldn't bother unless you have other senses in the same group.

Finally, without some sort of N-Ray type sensing i am not sure how effective it is going to be. Mind you I no longer have any idea how N-Ray is supposed to work given the way it is defined in the book, so we could probably just forget that one, eh?

For the traceless powder why not just use Gliding; Only on a surface. You won't leave tracks that way. Or if you're willing a bit of handwave ... Desolid: only for movement (-2).

As for the Detect, Dr. Anomaly pretty much covered it. Or at least, I don't have better/other ideas.

Never understood why gliding should not leave tracks: you have to fall each round unless you are using thermals or some such tosh. It just shouldn't work. This is another shoehorn constuct IMO, although it easily predates 5th edition, that is where it was codified though :) Flight might do it, but then that is more expensive. With both gliding and flight you SHOULD take increased KB. If you do like this option then a UOO simultaneouusly version of this might be an option. But I don't have to like it:idjit:

I won't comment on the desolid option :D

Never understood why gliding should not leave tracks: you have to fall each round unless you are using thermals or some such tosh. It just shouldn't work. This is another shoehorn constuct IMO, although it easily predates 5th edition, that is where it was codified though :) Flight might do it, but then that is more expensive. With both gliding and flight you SHOULD take increased KB. If you do like this option then a UOO simultaneouusly version of this might be an option. But I don't have to like it:idjit:

I won't comment on the desolid option :D

Read Ground Gliding again ... you don't drop 1" every phase. It's not a shoe horn - it's a construct. It's a -1/4 Limitation used to simulate a particular type of movement and is no more a "shoehorn" than any other Limitation/Advantage on a power that changes how it works.

As for Desol.. meh, I tossed it out there without expecting it to be taken seriously merely because it occured to me. I'd never use it either - it's silly.

Read Ground Gliding again ... you don't drop 1" every phase. It's not a shoe horn - it's a construct. It's a -1/4 Limitation used to simulate a particular type of movement and is no more a "shoehorn" than any other Limitation/Advantage on a power that changes how it works.

As for Desol.. meh, I tossed it out there without expecting it to be taken seriously merely because it occured to me. I'd never use it either - it's silly.

OK, boothorn. They change how the power works completely and call it a limitation? Erm...I'd prefer to see it as an advantage on running, say at +1/4. That would make me happier. In fact what it really is is IPE on the visible effects of running. So it should probably be +1/4 to make EFFECTS visible to one sense (normal sight). That works.

Added bonus rant: I mean (and we may have discussed this before) if you are walking so lightly you don't set off motion detectors (surely that should be pressure sensors?) then can you walk over mud you'd normally sink into? Water?

Trackless Stride - OAF powder' date=' Extra Time 1 phase, 1 continuous fuel charge lasting 1 hour that never recovers.[/quote']

hehehe

"Trackless Stride" Fantasy Hero p. 107

Different write up though.

Needs to be mentioned that the Fantasy Hero version prevents the tracks from being made in the first place.

That's a weird way of looking at it.

And for everyone else, it is to hide a trail while you make it, not something you sprinke on yourself.

Hmm. +10 Tracking with Continuing Charges: 1 minute and Only to Conceal Tracks (-1), maybe?

(Or 21- Tracking if you want it to be useful to anyone without the Tracking Skill to begin with.)

Oh, and possibly with the addition of Area of Effect: Line to the Tracking as well. :eek:

Oh' date=' and possibly with the addition of [i']Area of Effect: Line[/i] to the Tracking as well. :eek:

I toyed with AoE: Line for my suggestion, but abandoned it. Why? Because you won't always be moving in a straight line; you'd actually need AoE: Any (so you could just target the hexes where you've been) but that got too expensive for my taste. AoE: Radius does not only your trail, but everything else's trail in the vicinity, sure...but it'll get the job done.

Besides, another problem with "AoE: Line" ---

"No, there are no tracks, m'lord...in fact, by scouting back and forth across this area, I've determined there is a straight line...a path, if you will...where there are no tracks at all, not even game trails. In my opinion m'lord, as your Master of Hunters, this straight line with no tracks is of sorcerous origin and points straight toward the direction our quarry was headed. They're headed into Trellshire, and probably for the town of Burlington...it's almost directly in the path of this 'line'."

:sneaky:

I'm only going to discuss the Trackless Powder power-build.

It is a tough concept. There are two ways of Tracking: the Tracking Skill (based on INT); and the Tracking Sense Modifier (based on PER).

If you were to go with Change Environment, you could use the 4 Point "-1 to Characteristic Rolls (INT/PER) and all Skill Rolls bases on same Characteristic"... with the Long Lasting Adder (+20 Points to make the change permanent, GM's option)... and the Limitation "Only To Hide Tracks Left In The Past." (Valueing Limitations is not my strong-suit. I'd probably make it a -1 Limitation).

The problem I have with this, is that you aren't making the tracks gone, you are just making them more difficult to find, to a degree set by the number of levels of Change Environment you buy. This seems weak to me.

Building the Power using Transformation is a little more difficult, because I'm not sure exactly what kind of Transform this would be: Cosmetic or Minor. I'd probably go with Minor Transform, changing trackable tracks into untrackable tracks, rather than Cosmetic Transform, which should probably be more of a change tracks to look like another type of tracks. Either way, I'm not in love with the use of Transform because of the virtual BODY element, which seems really awkward when targeting tracks or what ever.

My suggestion is to go with Darkness (to Sight, Smell, and Magic Group), Uncontrolled, bought to 0 END, with the Limitation "Only To Make Current Tracks In The Area Impervious To Detection," (I'd give this Limitation a -2 value). I'm giving Darkness the Magic Group Adder, because I could imagine a Character buying the Tracking Sense Modifier for this Sense Group.

~ Mister E