Pulp campaigh underway (Finally) !

st barbara

Well yesterday I finally managed to get my "Pulp Hero" campaign started. Players are quite powerful (220pts) and at least one of them got a bit cross when I overode his dice roll to keep the battle flowing (he should have hit his opponent but I wanted to make the fight last a bit longer, so I said he missed) but apart from that we had a good start. My scenario was simple; our heros (who all know each other and are members of "The Adventurer's Club", a name I am using instead of "Empire Club") decide to go off together for a "quiet" meal in Chinatown and , just as they were about to order desert, a Tong war erupted in the restaurant ! Lots of mayhem ensued with the female character in the group displaying her mastery of throwing (she has "An Chi" from "Ultimate Martial Artist) and the others getting involved with fists, chairs and a heated chafing dish as knives and cleavers flew and villains dropped like flies ! As sometimes happens I couldn't roll the dice well enough to hit my P C's often enough but the fight was still fun and is intended to lead to a "Big Trouble In Little China" like scenario as the players try to find out exactly why the Tongs are causing trouble and who is behind it !

Re: Pulp campaigh underway (Finally) !

The tong were looking for a ring (the heroes won't find out until later) that had fallen into a carton of ice cream during a fight between two leaders of the tong. The fight took place in a confectionry factory controlled by one of the tong. It is rumored that the ring has special mystical powers that will give it's weilder exceptional skill at martial arts.

The tong are searching all the ice cream stores in town to find the ring. Ownership of the ring can shift the balance of power in Chinatown.

Jak :smoke:

The tong were looking for a ring (the heroes won't find out until later) that had fallen into a carton of ice cream during a fight between two leaders of the tong. The fight took place in a confectionry factory controlled by one of the tong. It is rumored that the ring has special mystical powers that will give it's weilder exceptional skill at martial arts.

The tong are searching all the ice cream stores in town to find the ring. Ownership of the ring can shift the balance of power in Chinatown.

Not QUITE what I had in mind. Mystic widgets WILL play a part in the campaign, but not in this first adventure. If the P C's fluff their rolls when trying to investigate WHY the Tongs are active I have an NPC (who arrived just in time to watch the tail end of the fight, didn't need to interfere and simply nodded approval when the P C's wiped the floor with the tongsters) who is Amerasian and an expert in both Martial Arts and the Occult who can be used to help put them on the right track.

It's a clever take, you gotta give him that.:thumbup:

Sounds like a Jackie Chan movie....

• 4 weeks later...

I have changed my mind; maybe ! A "mystic widget" IS a part of this first adventure. The tongs are after something that is thought to bring good luck in battle, a statue of the war god "Guan Di" ! (Apologies if I have this wrong, I got it from a reference book on gods, demons etc). Does it do what it is supposed to ? Is it even where it is thought to be ? Who is behind the tong ? Only the referee knows ! (Oh and if "The Shadow" knows he had better not tell anybody or I will be REALLY cross with him !)

Well the second half of the adventure went off pretty well. One of my regulars (the ex gangster) wasn't able to make it but the other five, after consulting some useful NPC's penetrated into the underground of Chinatown after discovering that TWO tongs were trying to secure a statue of the god Gwan Gi ( a war god) said to bring good fortune in battle. After surviving several traps (including one were the occult detective (Father O'Malley) had to save the hard boiled detective "Mick" Mackanhay, from a fall into what appeared to be a river of acid !) they penetrated to a room where both tongs were searching a collection of statues looking for the correct one. A major fight ensued with the P C's victorious but some of the tong members (including their apparent leaders) escaped and , while the PCs have securred the statue that SEEMS most likely to be the one that they were after they can't be sure that they have the right one. For now, this scenario is completed; but you can just bet that it will make a comeback at some time in the future ! Our heros now have TWO Tongs with a reason to dislike them !

• 4 weeks later...

Well the latest scenario has gotten underway and our heros are off to the East Indies, along with a couple of documentary filmakers, to search for any clues to the wereabouts of a German anthropological expedition to Borneo that was reportedly looking for " a new species of ape" and hasn't been heard of for over a year ! Are the Germans still alive ? Were they REALLY a bunch of anthropologists, or something more sinister ? What were they searching for in the trackless jungles of the East Indies, and did they find it ? Are the Americans filmmakers as they claim , or something else ? Stay tuned next month for the next thrilling instalment of "Docudrama" !

at least one of them got a bit cross when I overode his dice roll to keep the battle flowing (he should have hit his opponent but I wanted to make the fight last a bit longer' date=' so I said he missed)[/quote']

Next time you want to do that, just secretly add more stun/body to the bad guy. Same net effect, but the players won't feel cheated.

Next time you want to do that' date=' just secretly add more stun/body to the bad guy. Same net effect, but the players won't feel cheated.[/quote'] Yes well I suppose I underestimated just HOW effective my P C's were going to be in the fight and didn't make the Tong members tough enough in part one. They were a bit more effective in part 2. Now for my next adventure I may need to buy the "Hero System Bestiary" or whatever it is called, or find a way to write up Killer Apes and a 50ft snake or so !

The Bestiary definitely has Carnivorous Apes and Giant Snakes, plus many other monsters, creatures, critters, and beasties you'll find most useful. :hex:

And one of the Secret Legion of Heroes messages has the skinny on the fearsome Congolese Black Ape. ;)

Okay so its off to one of the gaming shops in town next week armed with $a75 or so to buy myself an early christmas present !