The Munchkin Build Contest

Furry Fox

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Munchkin Build Contest

Variable (Special) Effect bought as a Naked Advantage.

All you have to worry about from then on are the mechanics.

As a twist, take UBO for the Naked Advantage.

All your teammates can use whatever SFX they'd like for their powers.

But for the final straw, take UAA on your Naked Advantage.

Now you can force your opponents to use different SFX, ruining whatever synergy they had.

Either form of UOO might require Constant or a similar Advantage to work properly.

Variable (Special) Effect bought as a Naked Advantage.

All you have to worry about from then on are the mechanics.

As a twist, take UBO for the Naked Advantage.

All your teammates can use whatever SFX they'd like for their powers.

But for the final straw, take UAA on your Naked Advantage.

Now you can force your opponents to use different SFX, ruining whatever synergy they had.

Either form of UOO might require Constant or a similar Advantage to work properly.

Throw on Detect Vulnerabilities and Susceptibilities for extra laughs.

Throw on Detect Vulnerabilities and Susceptibilities for extra laughs.

The sad part is that, if you passed this by the GM before the other players presented their characters, the GM would probably refuse to give them any point values for Vulnerabilities, Susceptibilities, or Limitations on their powers that said "extra effect only against X".

Of course, at that point, it's a race between the GM and players to see who kills you first :eg:

My usual stunt is to do the following:

16 Blasting Stuff (Multipower, 16 point)

1u Energy Blast, 1d6, Variable Advantage +1 (+2) (15 active)

2u Energy Blast, 1d6 AoE (64", 2-dimensional, +2 1/4) (16 active)

1u Ranged Killing attack 1 point, Variable Advantage +1 (+2)(15 active)

2u Energy Blast 1d6 (AoE Autohit +1/2, No Range Modifier +1/2, Autofire 5x + 1 1/4) (16 Active)

16 Ranged DCs' (4)

5 Offensive Ranged Strike (+8 DC)

5 Ranged Trip (+4 DC, Target Falls)

This gets you fun stuff like a 64", 9d6 Disk strike and the 9d6 "Anywhere in Range 5x Autofire" strike.

Unfortunately, for me, this is my default design style; it's completely within the design parameters of the game (75-80 Active, in this case), but it's just really cheap.

The Munchkin Build Contest

Somehow, this seems like a good place to ask...I'll probably ask elsewhere too, but it definitely seems like what I'm thinking could qualify as "munchkin."

I already know that it is possible to Multiform into a Computer/AI. (Asked this of Steve Long months ago - at the time, it was intellectual curiosity.)

What I'm not entirely sure of are the practical RESULTS of that.

Obviously, such an AI would not be part of a Base or Vehicle, nor am I planning to put it into a Focus (I'm trying to put the idea into focus, yes, but not to put the character into A Focus.)

As described in FRED, the AI has neither stun nor body and there is no discussion of damaging or destroying it except to state that if it has EGO it's subject to mental powers. So by not having Base, Vehicle, or Focus, would I be creating a character impossible to harm or kill??

(Now THAT'S Munchkin, if so)

Would such a character be VISIBLE? For that matter, can it percieve the game environment without buying special senses? For that matter (and energy, and space...) does it even have an identifiable presence at a specific point in the game's space-time continuum (i.e. is there any place in particular it could say "HERE I am!?") If there IS, I suppose a movement power must be bought to change that location - I don't see how anyone or anything could CARRY it!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary chants "Invisible, Invincible, InvUMPFF!" as I desperately muffle that head and warn the other not to try saying the "I" word.

Here is one I made up recently in reliation to the GM house ruling a CV limit of 12. It's a 60 AP limit campaign. It's based on the "Stealth Suit" Self Only Limitation example presented under CE in 5ER.

1" Change Environment (5), Multiple Combat Effects (5), -6 DCV (25), -5 OCV (25), No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), OIF Frictionless Suit (-1/2) 60 AP (Real Cost = 12 in an Elemental Control slot)

The special effect can be anything but the character I used it for had the ability to manipulate friction. On top of a base CV of 12, his effective OCV/ DCV were 17/ 16.

P.S. - I didn't do this to annoy the GM but to annoy the player who's powergaming incited the house rule. It should have been obvious but my GM casually glanced over the CE and didn't think much of it until our next combat.

Here is one I made up recently in reliation to the GM house ruling a CV limit of 12. It's a 60 AP limit campaign. It's based on the "Stealth Suit" Self Only Limitation example presented under CE in 5ER.

1" Change Environment (5), Multiple Combat Effects (5), -6 DCV (25), -5 OCV (25), No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), OIF Frictionless Suit (-1/2) 60 AP (Real Cost = 12 in an Elemental Control slot)

The special effect can be anything but the character I used it for had the ability to manipulate friction. On top of a base CV of 12, his effective OCV/ DCV were 17/ 16.

P.S. - I didn't do this to annoy the GM but to annoy the player who's powergaming incited the house rule. It should have been obvious but my GM casually glanced over the CE and didn't think much of it until our next combat.

Ok, I don't get this. How is subtracting DCV and OCV giving you a bonus? :confused:

Or is Self only supposed to be Personal Immunity?

Succor 1d6, 0 END Persistent, all powers of a special effect at once: 20 points. Every time you activate it you get 1d6 points to every power you have (including succor) and you can do it over and over and over without limit (since succor stacks endlessly with itself).

Also, classic: Drain Int 4d6, standard effect, ranged. Drop most enemies in a single hit (well, requiring an int roll to do anything).

Succor 1d6' date=' 0 END Persistent, all powers of a special effect at once: 20 points. Every time you activate it you get 1d6 points to every power you have (including succor) and you can do it over and over and over without limit (since succor stacks endlessly with itself).[/quote']

Actually, you can only use it up to the standard limit for Adjustment Powers.

Additionally, you must define a "reasonably common" way for the power to be shut off (and when it goes, it goes all at once, forcing you to start over from the beginning).

I like to use the following build in a multipower, if I can get away with it:

Power Up: Aid [to multipower], 1 point, increased maximum (10 points), Increased Return ( 5 points/5 minutes)"

Completely useless in combat, but if you get a chance to prep before hand it'll jack your multipower up 2 DC's for the duration of the fight.

How about the following power as a starter?

I can transform into Tough Man:Multiform into Tough Man (600pt character), 120pts

Plus... +400 pts to base of Multiform Character, 80pts.

Total Cost: 200 pts

Total base points of starting Champions character?

200 pts

Basically you can be 600pt character with no disads in either form. Admittedly the base form is weak, but if it's good enough for Miracle Man...

Secondly, I nominate 50 DEX as my favourite munchkinery. Only 120 pts too. Make a half decent 250 pt character (bricks work well) and amp it up to 50 DEX. 17 OCV, 17 DCV, at least 6 SPD, generally go first, base dex roll of 19 or less... its sweet.

And for cheap? 1D6 Drain vs any single physical characteristic or power e.g. Running (+1/4), Returns 5 pts/6 hours, 0 END, Linked to STR at a total cost of 20 pts is a pretty sweet deal for a brick of martial artist.

Note - The GM ALWAYS has more points than you.

Ok, I don't get this. How is subtracting DCV and OCV giving you a bonus? :confused:

Or is Self only supposed to be Personal Immunity?

Please refer to the Self Only Limitation as described under Change Environment. The limitation makes the CE penalty only apply to those trying to affect or perceive the character. It's not actually a bonus but a negative to others' OCV and DCV that are interacting with the character.

[edit]Actually as written, I guess the character would suffer the negatives if he were trying to affect or perceive himself...

Actually, you can only use it up to the standard limit for Adjustment Powers.

Additionally, you must define a "reasonably common" way for the power to be shut off (and when it goes, it goes all at once, forcing you to start over from the beginning).

Succor is exempt from the Maximum Effect rule. It is essentially the opposite of Suppress.

This is a fun thread for me. I mostly GM so I am always looking for new and effective power builds to use against my seasoned (read as powergaming) players.

Here is one of my favorite builds. It's a little rules intense so please ask questions if it doesn't make sense to you. I'll explain it as best as I can.

The Ultimate Grappler - Assumes a Brick with maxed out STR.

Clinging Damage Shield (+1/2) - Attack with the shield using a Grab and Squeeze. Now, to escape they must not break the Grab, they must also break your Clinging. (Please note that this cannot be done in one phase, except....see below.)

+XX STR, Only For Determining Casual STR (-1 1/2) - Buy your Causal STR up until it equals your normal STR. This gives you two attempts to break free from Grabs and Entangles and you only pay the END for STR once.

Please keep the builds coming!

Somehow, this seems like a good place to ask...I'll probably ask elsewhere too, but it definitely seems like what I'm thinking could qualify as "munchkin."

I already know that it is possible to Multiform into a Computer/AI. (Asked this of Steve Long months ago - at the time, it was intellectual curiosity.)

What I'm not entirely sure of are the practical RESULTS of that.

Obviously, such an AI would not be part of a Base or Vehicle, nor am I planning to put it into a Focus (I'm trying to put the idea into focus, yes, but not to put the character into A Focus.)

As described in FRED, the AI has neither stun nor body and there is no discussion of damaging or destroying it except to state that if it has EGO it's subject to mental powers. So by not having Base, Vehicle, or Focus, would I be creating a character impossible to harm or kill??

(Now THAT'S Munchkin, if so)

Would such a character be VISIBLE? For that matter, can it percieve the game environment without buying special senses? For that matter (and energy, and space...) does it even have an identifiable presence at a specific point in the game's space-time continuum (i.e. is there any place in particular it could say "HERE I am!?") If there IS, I suppose a movement power must be bought to change that location - I don't see how anyone or anything could CARRY it!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary chants "Invisible, Invincible, InvUMPFF!" as I desperately muffle that head and warn the other not to try saying the "I" word.

There actually is precedent for this, as one character is built this way.

Said character being the Dragon, granted, which is basically the sentient collective evil of humanity.

So the answer is, Multiforming into an AI turns you into a cosmic force. ;-)

This one is purely evil, and should never be allowed.

EB 1d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Variable Special Effects (Any, +1/2)

Just change your effect to exactly match your attacker's, and voila! You're instantly immune to his attacks.

Try 1d6 Drain, all Drains simultaneously (+2), Continuous (+1); 40 active; apply limitations if you want.

this should annoy all those people who love using drain. :eg:

might even apply reduced return rate.

Should consider Personal Immunity, or the Drain goes away :P

[edit]Actually as written' date=' I guess the character would suffer the negatives if he were trying to affect or perceive himself...[/quote']

:lol:

Succor is exempt from the Maximum Effect rule. It is essentially the opposite of Suppress.

Do you have a page number citation for that? (If you're using FRED, never mind, because I have 5ER.) I'm looking at a few passages on page 134:

As an option for Aid, GM's can allow character to buy a slightly different form of the Power known as Succor.

[...]

Succor works just like Aid, except that it costs 5 Character Points per die and only remains in effect as long as the character pays END.

[...]

(If a character wants to buy Succor to cost 0 END, apply the same rules as for Reduced Endurance on Suppress, page 227.)

To me, this is saying that Succor is not its own power but Aid with some changes; that where not identified as working differently from Aid, it works the same; and that it does follow the Suppress rules.

Do you have a page number citation for that? (If you're using FRED, never mind, because I have 5ER.) I'm looking at a few passages on page 134:

To me, this is saying that Succor is not its own power but Aid with some changes; that where not identified as working differently from Aid, it works the same; and that it does follow the Suppress rules.

5ER page 134, last sentence in the Succor section, "As long as he keeps succeeding with his attack rolls, the character can keep adding effect this way without worrying about the maximum effect rules for regular Aid."

What's FRED and how is it different from 5ER?

Please refer to the Self Only Limitation as described under Change Environment. The limitation makes the CE penalty only apply to those trying to affect or perceive the character. It's not actually a bonus but a negative to others' OCV and DCV that are interacting with the character.

[edit]Actually as written, I guess the character would suffer the negatives if he were trying to affect or perceive himself...

I don't have 5er, but I'll take your word for it. Yeah, as written it sounds like you're the only one subjected to the effects, thus my confusion. I have a couple characters that use these SFX; it sounds like I may need to rewrite the mechanics a bit.

5ER page 134' date=' last sentence in the Succor section, [i']"As long as he keeps succeeding with his attack rolls, the character can keep adding effect this way without worrying about the maximum effect rules for regular Aid."[/i]

Ahh, so there it is. Interesting. I wonder if the GM would force you to keep making those attack rolls, though.

What's FRED and how is it different from 5ER?

See here for what may soon become a debate over that very question ;)