Change Environment vs Images (light only)

psm

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Change Environment vs Images (light only)

The Power of Thought: 1d6 Telepathy (5 Active Poings); Self Only (-1/2)' date=' Visible (Light Fills the Room and is Triply Visible; -3/4). Total Cost: 2 points.[/quote']

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brilliant! Abso-frikkin'-lutely brilliant! Use a side effect to do, cheaply, what it's apparently a workaround kludge to do using the system the "right" way!

Okay, SS, you were gonna get repped by me tonight anyway, but that is going to replace what I was gonna rep!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brilliant! Abso-frikkin'-lutely brilliant! Use a side effect to do, cheaply, what it's apparently a workaround kludge to do using the system the "right" way!

Okay, SS, you were gonna get repped by me tonight anyway, but that is going to replace what I was gonna rep!

The thing is, I love doing this. I love looking for other ways to approach a problem. I take it as a challange.

Being serious for a moment.

There are campaigns, horror campaigns being the most common and the second being some fantasy campaigns, where light is suppose to be expensive.

In the modern world, we take it for granted that we have street lamps and indoor lighting. But out in the woods, down in the sewers or caves, the lack of light makes it harder to identify the monster. It makes the sounds more important, you hear a growl. Now, you don't know whether it is just a scared dog, a large wolf, or a werewolf, all you see in two glowing red eyes reflecting what little light there is. By the time you see the teeth, it's too late. Two wolves (with really good hearing) can take down a heroic party fairly easily in the dark. In daylight, they are just target practice for the bowmen.

In that sort of campaign, lights flicker (activation) and they seem to go out at just the wrong time (continous charges on a clip, Dispel Images). And they never give out full sunlight, just a little trickle of light perhaps a +2 to partially counter that massive -4.

Ok, back to comedy.

Another serious response. This one is easy.

Define Normal Sight As Active Sense.

Hear me out. An Active sense is one that relies on some kind of "pulse" or emission in order to sense objects. It can be easily sensed with other passive senses, and oftentimes passive senses can gain information based on the use of an active sense. Anyone with the appropriate sense can sense the user of the Active sense, can tell where they are, etc.

Perhaps buy it something like this: +4 Enhanced Normal Sight, Active, Only For Counteracting Darkness Penalties, OAF, Real Item. 1.45 Real Points, rounds to 1. Real Item represents the fact that it's breakable, batteries run out, etc. Season to taste; if you want the hefty Maglite that you can brain someone with, buy off the Real Item Limitation and buy +4d6 HA to go with it, perhaps with Lockout on the +4 Enhanced Vision (when you're braining someone with your light source, you're not going to be seeing very well).

Another serious response. This one is easy.

Define Normal Sight As Active Sense.

Hear me out. An Active sense is one that relies on some kind of "pulse" or emission in order to sense objects. It can be easily sensed with other passive senses, and oftentimes passive senses can gain information based on the use of an active sense. Anyone with the appropriate sense can sense the user of the Active sense, can tell where they are, etc.

Perhaps buy it something like this: +4 Enhanced Normal Sight, Active, Only For Counteracting Darkness Penalties, OAF, Real Item. 1.45 Real Points, rounds to 1. Real Item represents the fact that it's breakable, batteries run out, etc. Season to taste; if you want the hefty Maglite that you can brain someone with, buy off the Real Item Limitation and buy +4d6 HA to go with it, perhaps with Lockout on the +4 Enhanced Vision (when you're braining someone with your light source, you're not going to be seeing very well).

In all seriousness...Chris, that's not a bad idea at all. The only "quibble" I'd have with it is that, by the strictest interpretation of the "Active Sensing" stuff, while anyone else could tell the person with the light source (the "Active" for the Sight sense) they wouldn't be able to benefit from anything illuminated by it. In other words, they would be able to see/sense/detect/pinpoint the user of the "Active" sense, and could tell what he was doing, but wouldn't be able to "see" any area, object, or creature that was supposedly illuminated by his "Active sense."

At least, if I'm reading it right... :think:

You could buy the entire game world with the limitation 'visible when illuminated'.....

I immediately thought:

"Okay, Cosmetic Transform...Megascale...Heals back as 'all or nothing'...all it would take would be one person to have done that sometime in history..."

...and then it hit me; there only needs to be a small change made to a certain already-existing document! With that in mind:

In the beginning there was God (SPD 12, 1,000,000 point Cosmic Power Pool [Omnipotence], All Senses In The Book, Interdimensional, with +90 Telescopic, 30 levels overall, and 100d6 Telepathy Area Effect area doubled 90 times, Sense And Detect Anything Left Out [Omniscience], 270 levels Growth, Always On Inherent, Desolid, Always On Inherent, Invisibility to All Sense Groups, Always On Inherent [Omnipresence], Perk: God)

On Phase 1, God shifts 11,475 points of His power pool into a 30d6 ranged Autofire Transformation Attack Area Effect Radius with 90 doublings of area (+22.5, volume of the universe), creating the heavens and the earth, all with the Physical Limitation "visible when illuminated". [END cost = 1148]

On Phase 2, He soliloquized, ("Let There Be Light!"), demonstrated His power with a 2000d6 Flash Explosion, Loses 1d6 every 36,000,000 hexes (+6.5), Uncontrolled Continuous 0 END (cheaper than one charge lasting several billion years) and unleashed a 2000d6 Presence Attack. However, as He had not yet created anyone else to use the Presence Attack on, this had no game effect.

On Phase 3, He shifted 1350 points of His power pool into 100STR Telekinesis, Area Effect Radius with 18 doublings of area (+4.5, volume of the Earth), and separated the waters and the earth. [END = 135]

On Phase 4, God used a 3d6 Entangle Autofire Area Effect Radius with 18 doublings of area (+4.5, slightly less than the surface area of the Earth) with the special effect of plant growth, using up another 210 points of His power pool. [END = 21]

On Phase 5, God used His Transformation Attack again, limiting the active points to only the surface of the Earth (reduce area doubling to 18, new active cost of 6,075) and created living things in the 0-500 active point range, all with the No Fine Manipulation limitation. [END = 608]

On Phase 6, God took an Incompetent DNPC 14- (Adam, all normal stats, Perk: Dominion over all the beasts of the land, air and sea, Life Support: Slowed Aging, Psych Lim: No knowledge of good and evil, Psych Lim: Gullible). He also shifted 4,000 points of His power pool to REC.

On Phase 7, God took a much needed Recovery, regaining all the END he spent.

I immediately thought:

"Okay, Cosmetic Transform...Megascale...Heals back as 'all or nothing'...all it would take would be one person to have done that sometime in history..."

...and then it hit me; there only needs to be a small change made to a certain already-existing document! With that in mind:

...for goodness sakes stay away from Revalations...

• 4 weeks later...

All and none of the above. It just is. Thunderbird is an avatar of the Apache weather diety, so subtlety is not part of his concept. Whether you want to consider it sfx for a glowing FF or aura or just a manifestation of his high PRE, Thunderbird shines. Since it's always as much hindrance as help, none of us (GM's or players) see any necessity to define it beyond that. It's just part of the character concept.

Too many people playing Hero seem to think it's necessary to stat out every last thing. Who cares what the proper build of a zipper or drinking glass are? We all know what they do. That's good enough to play with.

Just as a side note, it absolutely drives me up the wall to stat out a real-world object. If it's real-world, just use it...realistically!

Of course, I do realize there are occassions where such really is necessary, but more often than not it simply isn't worth it.

If that's the case' date=' someone needs to inform Dan so he can update Hero Designer. Try to put AoE on something like Enhanced Senses and you'll find that "Area Of Effect can only be applied to Powers which are targeted on others."[/quote']

The ban on "inappropriate" limitations and advantages really burns me. I LIKE the idea that it will tell you if something is book-illegal, but I detest that it's not something you can say "do anyway."

To link this to comments I just made in another thread, it's a degradation of the notion of the toolkit by getting too specific about results where a toolkit should be about reasoning and mechanical "correctness," and often the blunt-force "don't apply this to that" ill-represents the toolkit.

The ban on "inappropriate" limitations and advantages really burns me. I LIKE the idea that it will tell you if something is book-illegal, but I detest that it's not something you can say "do anyway."

To link this to comments I just made in another thread, it's a degradation of the notion of the toolkit by getting too specific about results where a toolkit should be about reasoning and mechanical "correctness," and often the blunt-force "don't apply this to that" ill-represents the toolkit.

Well, of course, as a GM, you can always allow combinations that seem reasonable but are not book legal. And as for Hero Designer, if the program does not allow it, you can always turn off Modifier Intelligence or you can you can use a Custom Modifier and just name it the same as the disallowed modifier.

Oh, I didn't realize about turning off Mod Intelligence!? Thanks, will look! I do realize about Custom Mods, which I've used in exactly the way you've indicated. Also, I've replaced a modifier completely that I didn't like, with Damage Shield.

(PS - though I think it would still be coolest if there were a "warnings only" option for modifiers - but thanks again)