Ragnarok Survivors

Enforcer84

Baldur (from the dead)

God of light, spring, peace, joy, son of Odin

Hoenir (from the dead)

Brother to Odin, one of the creators of man and woman.

Hodur (from the dead)

Blind god who slew Baldur. Son of Odin. Typically considered the god of winter

Magni

Son of Thor famed for his strength.

Modi

Son of Thor famed for courage.

Vali

Son of Odin born for the express purpose of avenging Balder's death. When he was only one night old, he killed Hodur.

Vidar/Vithar

Son of Odin. Considered second strongest to Thor. God of vengence.

Those are the gods that survive.

Lif and Lifthrasir - man and woman who survive Ragnarok

Yggdasil, the great world tree survives. The sun has a daughter to replace her.

Gimle: home of the blessed after Ragnarok

I have never seen any mention of the fates of the Asgardian goddesses. They are never mentioned in any of the mythology regarding Ragnarok so it is possible that they survive. Though I would guess that Sif and Hel, at least, would have been in the fighting, and are therefore probably killed.

A few notes:

Odin was slain by Fenris. Vidar in turn slew Fenris, and so avenged his father. Props for Vidar might include an impenetrable wolfskin cloak, and/or a gauntlet or vambrace with the fangs of Fenris set therein, Wolverine-claw style. Incidentally, Vidar Odinsson would be, by rights, King of New Asgard.

Freya survived, and could become an interesting character. She was originally a goddess of love (or, more accurately, a goddess of sex), but after the Brisingamen affair, she became a sex/war goddess along the lines of Ishtar or the Morrigan. Half the Valkyriar were placed under her command; the senior half remained Odin's.

In a post-Ragnarok setting, she's one of the few deities of her generation to survive. Sex/war goddess turned den mother to a pack of orphaned godlings? Adopting a semi-maternal role, but still able to summon up the old magic when necessary?

Hmmm...PC concept for high-powered campaign...

Originally posted by Marchwarden

... Incidentally, Vidar Odinsson would be, by rights, King of New Asgard.

Actually, the Voluspa has Balder returning from the dead to rule after Ragnarok. There is some belief that this was influenced by Christian missionaries -- i.e., that the Christians were converting the Norse pagans by syncreting Balder with Christ.

As for surviving goddesses, I vaguely recall Odin + Frigga having some daughters (other than valkyries). Can't seem to find who they were in my references, though.

Originally posted by Mutant for Hire

Lif and Lifthrasir - man and woman who survive Ragnarok

Similar to Lightray's comments, I had always been under the impression that these two were folded into the myths by Christian missionaries who then claimed that they were actually Adam and Eve.

Then they could say "See? Ragnarok already happened and your gods are already dead. You might as well worship ours."

Very Cool, BTW, what are your sources everyone? I have tried pantheon.org and its good but not detailed enough for my tastes.

anyway, here's further discussion: I had heard that Thor and Sif had some daughters as well, 3 maybe any mention of them after the Big R?

I vaguely remember something about Thor's daughter--Thrudn, maybe? Probably with strong lightning or storm powers, as she was supposed to embody Thor's power (as Magni represented his strength and Modi his courage and fury). I also think Sigyn, Loki's wife and arguably goddess of fidelity, survived.

Originally posted by Doctor Agenda

I vaguely remember something about Thor's daughter--Thrudn, maybe? Probably with strong lightning or storm powers, as she was supposed to embody Thor's power (as Magni represented his strength and Modi his courage and fury). I also think Sigyn, Loki's wife and arguably goddess of fidelity, survived.

All I remember about Thor's daughter from the Norse myths that I read is that she's supposed to be fairly beautiful. After all, when Odin hires the dwarf [i think it was a dwarf anyway] to rebuild the walls of Asgard after the war with the Vanir, part of the deal was that the dwarf got Thor's daughter as a bride if he didn't complete the wall in a certain amount of time.