New World Map

keithcurtis

Once again, being between assignments, I have had some time to devote to Savage Earth matters. This time, I have completely re-done the campaign map. I started the map long ago as a personal project and never meant for it to be a showpiece. However, looking at some of my later maps, that early thing looked rather wretched in comparison.

So, submitted for your approval, here are links to the

Main Map:Savage-Earth-Master-Map.gif

The Campaign Area:TMerikia.gif

And the Page that puts them into context

Keith "Savage Cartographer" Curtis

Re: New World Map

Actually, they were. (Americans)

The campaign map they most often looked at was the second one, though, and that group of islands up there aren't familiar to a lot of people.

You'd be surprised how many people miss the connection. Also, the older map included the north coast of Asia, also terra incognita to casual map users.

K

e

i

t

h

"sideways"

C

u

r

t

i

s

Actually, they were. (Americans)

The campaign map they most often looked at was the second one, though, and that group of islands up there aren't familiar to a lot of people.

OK, I'll grant you it's not a part of the world/map I look at very often. But come on! ---- "Green Land", "Baffin Island", "Nunavut Jungle", "Boothia", "Banks Island", "Bear Lake", "Slave Lake", etc., etc. And they didn't get it?? Man, no wonder most of the world considers Americans ignorant in geography.

You'd be surprised how many people miss the connection. Also' date=' the older map included the north coast of Asia, also terra incognita to casual map users.[/quote']

I'd think that'd help.

K

e

i

t

h

"sideways"

C

u

r

t

i

s

lisaB "sdrawkcab"

Apparently, some folks just don't care about that world-building stuff. I discussed this with a couple of players. One of them said that they really only were interested in the world as it related to them. They were interested in character building options, the interaction and role-playing plots. They viewed knowledge of the wider world as irrelevant and never bothered to study the material closely that did not relate to their character.

As a world-builder, I find this approach totally incomprehensible. Valid, I suppose, but incomprehensible.

Keith "Don't get it" Curtis

PS. Here's an animation from the old site design.

globe.gif

They viewed knowledge of the wider world as irrelevant and never bothered to study the material closely that did not relate to their character.

As a world-builder, I find this approach totally incomprehensible. Valid, I suppose, but incomprehensible.

I agree, but consider how many people live their real lives in that same way.

Sure you are. Southern Hemisphere, just after Asia and before equatorial Antarctica. You're a little farther south than normal and Canberra is probably (ant)arctic in climate. Poor Rage is buried under a polar ice cap.

Keith "You are sideways, old east coast pointed south" Curtis

Actually, I was one of the players that "didn't get it". I think it's because I absolutely, completely didn't care. Where the campaign is doesn't matter. It is what it is. It is as real as the GM and players make it. Keith likes his maps and I think they're nice to look at but my question has always been, "What's off the page?" Steve had Keith make a map for something (Valdorian?) that said Equator at the bottom. Well, what's past that? Drove me crazy to look at. Didn't get it=didn't care to get it. It is the Savage Earth.